Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Many, many thanks to TN:

John

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

John, how are you liking the book? I'm 60 pages in and I'm struggling a little. (Just before someone calls me a luddite, I love Lucius Shepard and Tim Powers, who are at most times, writers whose works you absolutely have to read slow to fully understand/get.) I think it's all the secondary (and tertiary) names of characters that are making it a slow read. I find myself trying to figure who Simmons is talking about. It's only the first 1/10th of the book but it feels like this one might be a slow burn.

Incidentally, I ended up getting Flashback from the library yesterday and can't put it down. Its pacing is maniacal but it's still not some mindless adventure story.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually got an ARC of The Abominable a while ago and read it. I agree, it's a bit detailed about mountain climbing, etc. but I really enjoyed the book. I didn't expect the plot twists. Stick with it--it's worth it!

John

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

For anyone looking for an ARC of The Abominable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111216565862

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished The Abominable last night. Think Indiana Jones and the Secret Everest Expedition--there's Nazis and spies and a beautiful heroine. There's just barely enough action to keep you plodding through the endless descriptions of mountain climbing gear, clunky exposition, and the constant up and back and up and back from each camp they have to establish on their way up the mountain. Things get moving the in the last 1/4 of the book, but it takes a hell of a long time to get there. The introduction where "Dan Simmons" tells how he met the main character while researching another book, then a decade later came into possession of a box of notebooks that contain the story is awkward and completely unnecessary, IMO. Why does Book I start each chapter with a pulled quote and use present tense, then Book II use dated journal entries, then Book III switch to past tense and numbered chapters? I think Simmons is at the point where he's beyond editing or rewriting. In the end, you've got an overlong, mess of a book that will try your patience.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

There is an explanation for the change of tense in the letter accompanying the journals sent to Simmons. I liked this book quite a bit -- more than The Terror, in fact, though I may be a minority voice on that point.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw his explanation. I just didn't think it was satisfactory. I kept asking during the first 2/3s why, if this is supposedly the written recollection of a 90 year old narrator, is it written in present tense? It made no sense. I liked The Terror quite a bit more than this one.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like The Abominable quite a bit. Not more than The Terror, but close. The "change" in tenses didn't bother me at all.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad I didn't read the front flap until after I finished the book.

Spoiler:
    It was a nice surprise when Lord Percy's cousin turned out to be a woman. I'm not sure why they would want to spoil that on the jacket.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I finished The Abominable a few minutes ago. I think I liked it much more than some of the others who have posted. I also enjoyed the technical parts about mountain climbing and didn't find them boring at all. Perhaps it was because I know next to nothing about mountain climbing and it was all new and fresh to me. I am somewhat afraid of heights and some of the climbing scenes really had me squirming in my chair. I thought it was a great read.

My only complaint is that there were no maps. I found myself on the internet looking at photos and maps of Everest frequently to get it fixed in my mind where the scenes were taking place. But this had a benefit in that it led me to reading about the Mallory and Irvine attempt in 1924. I thought Simmons was masterful in taking what is known of that climb and weaving the actual details into this story. Just brilliant, IMO. I thought the same thing when I researched the failed attempt of the Erebus and the Terror and how Simmons wove the facts into his fictional story The Terror. I think Simmons is a pretty special talent. I really liked this book a lot.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm warming up to it. I dove into The Abominable right after Flashback and The Crook Factory and I think that was what made me enjoy it a little less than I thought I would. Those books move fast. I'm not back-pedalling. Sometimes you can get more (or less) enjoyment out of the same book under different circumstances.

He posted a picture of his stack of research material for The Abominable on his website. You have to respect that sort of commitment to craft no matter what. I'll probably end up doing the same thing you did-I'll try to get a clearer picture of the scenery in my head. I looked up more information on Hemingway after I finished The Crook Factory and ended up admiring and respecting the man. And adding a few of his books to the library.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I finished The Abominable a few minutes ago. I think I liked it much more than some of the others who have posted. I also enjoyed the technical parts about mountain climbing and didn't find them boring at all. Perhaps it was because I know next to nothing about mountain climbing and it was all new and fresh to me. I am somewhat afraid of heights and some of the climbing scenes really had me squirming in my chair. I thought it was a great read.

My only complaint is that there were no maps. I found myself on the internet looking at photos and maps of Everest frequently to get it fixed in my mind where the scenes were taking place. But this had a benefit in that it led me to reading about the Mallory and Irvine attempt in 1924. I thought Simmons was masterful in taking what is known of that climb and weaving the actual details into this story. Just brilliant, IMO. I thought the same thing when I researched the failed attempt of the Erebus and the Terror and how Simmons wove the facts into his fictional story The Terror. I think Simmons is a pretty special talent. I really liked this book a lot.
    I agree 100%, Bob. I really liked this book (and the other four Simmons books I read so far).

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

The UK proof of The Abominable (published by Sphere).

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice, Bob! That's the first UK one I've seen.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

UK Abominable proof front:

Back:

Thanks for the link, Bob!

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Interesting choice, to not have the book's title on the cover.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Interesting choice, to not have the book's title on the cover.
    I thought so too.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Simmons' next book is probably going to be out in 2015:

John

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Simmons' next book is probably going to be out in 2015:

John
    The premise for this novel sounds interesting.
    I believe Dan Simmons is an extremely talented and unpredictable author. That said I have struggled with many of his books, including The Abominable, but always commit to finishing them as I have an appreciation for his pedagogical nature. I just finished Darwin's Blade (very entertaining) and aim to tackle The Crook Factory next.

Country
    Country Flag

The Crook Factory is in my top 5 DS books (first four are Hyperion books). Agreed on The Abominable. I liked the book but at times it felt like a how-to manual more than a novel.

The Fifth Heart is a no-brainer for me. Dan Simmons and Sherlock Holmes. It can't possibly be bad.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    The premise for this novel sounds interesting.
    I believe Dan Simmons is an extremely talented and unpredictable author. That said I have struggled with many of his books, including The Abominable, but always commit to finishing them as I have an appreciation for his pedagogical nature. I just finished Darwin's Blade (very entertaining) and aim to tackle The Crook Factory next.
    I agree about Simmons' unpredictability. He's had some out there that I really didn't like (Black Hills, Flashback) and others that I really enjoyed (The Terror, Drood, even The Abominable). I also admire his obvious research that he incorporates into his books.

John

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The Crook Factory is in my top 5 DS books (first four are Hyperion books). Agreed on The Abominable. I liked the book but at times it felt like a how-to manual more than a novel.

The Fifth Heart is a no-brainer for me. Dan Simmons and Sherlock Holmes. It can't possibly be bad.
    Interesting how Simmons' fans like different books. Personally the Hyperion books are my least favorite (and I've only read the first two) probably because I am not much of a science fiction fan. And I had to start Crook Factory twice because I gave up on it the first time. I'm pretty sure I like Abominable more than most because I absolutely loved every page of it. Currently rereading Summer of Night and I like it just as much the second time through.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Interesting how Simmons' fans like different books. Personally the Hyperion books are my least favorite (and I've only read the first two) probably because I am not much of a science fiction fan. And I had to start Crook Factory twice because I gave up on it the first time. I'm pretty sure I like Abominable more than most because I absolutely loved every page of it. Currently rereading Summer of Night and I like it just as much the second time through.
    We took a family vacation to the Florida Keys last month and after visiting Hemingway's house I felt compelled to finally read some of his work and The Crook Factory is part of my self imposed assignment. I will likely struggle with it as I have with actual Hemingway!
    As for Summer Of Night it is one of my top 5 favorite books. Although heavily influenced (much to the author's denial) by IT, I find SON a more compelling and better written story. I also enjoy the way Simmons has woven many of the SON characters into his other novels. If you haven't done so read Banished Dreams (excised material from the original SON manuscript that was published as a chapbook) as well as Watching The Presidential Debates in Elm Haven parts 1 & 2 in the October and November 2008 Message from Dan section on his website. A very nice coda to the novel. Too late in the process I suggested to Dan Simmons that both Banished Dreams and the website story be included in the SON reprint from a few years ago. Sadly a follow up plan to a publish a limited edition of SON has fallen by the wayside.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's what I thought about Dan Simmons and Charles Dickens.
    I was so wrong: I hated Drood!

sk

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    That's what I thought about Dan Simmons and Charles Dickens.
    I was so wrong: I hated Drood!

sk
    And I loved it!

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast