Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Is Drood a hard read? Is it good?
    There is a great book hidden in Drood. Unfortunately, like many of Simmon's books, it is about 200 pages longer than it should be. A good editor would be a godsend for old Dan.
    A perfect analysis of most of his later works.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What’s everyone’s top 5? I’ve read a couple of his books so far ans was a big fan. I didn’t like the Hyperion series though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Go back a few pages, it's a subject that comes up constantly.

Hyperion is a challenging read but one worth the time you invest in it. The books get easier to read the longer you're reading. You get used to the style and it's also more action than setup. Just mentioning this in case you want to power through Hyperion.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What’s everyone’s top 5? I’ve read a couple of his books so far ans was a big fan. I didn’t like the Hyperion series though...

Wow! I found the Hyperion books to be right up there with Frank Herbert's Dune series. It's incredible world building. Some of the best science fiction I have every encountered. Not trying to persuade you, but sharing my own thoughts.

Drood - ugh, at least 200 pages over done. Early Simmons is the best Simmons.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Collectible Dan Simmons

I did finished the series. Just wasn’t for me. I loved Abominable and Terror. Summer and Haunting.... he writes well. No question!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

One that doesn't get enough credit it a small melodramatic piece called The Hollow Man - I was really moved by this one, as was my wife.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I unabashedly love Drood. I realize it's bloated and self-indulgent, but it just kind of clicked for me. It's my favourite of his non-genre novels - although a few others take a close second. A wonderful sense of atmosphere and world-building, a very distinctive narrative voice and
    Spoiler:
    a growing sense that what the narrator is telling you may not be completely accurate.

Other favourites: The Terror, The Crook Factory, Summer of Night, Carrion Comfort, Hyperion Cantos, Ilium/Olympos.

As I think I've said before, the Joe Kurtz novels (Hardcase, Hard Freeze, Hard as Nails) would be higher on my list if they compared more favourably with Richard Stark's Parker novels (to which they are an homage). I mean, the Joe Kurtz novels are fine. But the Parker novels do the same thing far, far better.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

As I think I've said before, the Joe Kurtz novels (Hardcase, Hard Freeze, Hard as Nails) would be higher on my list if they compared more favourably with Richard Stark's Parker novels (to which they are an homage). I mean, the Joe Kurtz novels are fine. But the Parker novels do the same thing far, far better.

HBJ
    I look at it a bit differently. I actually rate the Joe Kurtz novels quite high within Simmons’ body of work, but that’s because I’m only comparing it to the other books that Simmons has written. Comparatively speaking in a more broad sense, they’re entertaining but, I agree, don’t hold up against Richard Stark’s Parker books, the greatest series in crime fiction.

I posted a pic of my collection of HC Parker 1sts (and all signed) recently on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...43649323913216

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

HBJ
    I look at it a bit differently. I actually rate the Joe Kurtz novels quite high within Simmons’ body of work, but that’s because I’m only comparing it to the other books that Simmons has written. Comparatively speaking in a more broad sense, they’re entertaining but, I agree, don’t hold up against Richard Stark’s Parker books, the greatest series in crime fiction.

I posted a pic of my collection of HC Parker 1sts (and all signed) recently on Twitter:

Impressive collection!

So one vote for Drood now. Ha!

Sounds like some of his books are like my view on hiking. I do not like hiking but I like to have hiked.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

HBJ

That's probably the "right" way to think about the Joe Kurtz novels. I shouldn't give them a demerit just because they don't measure up to Stark's series ... but I do.

That a fantastic Parker collection. I don't have many of the physical books, mostly ebooks and audiobooks. Glad to see such enthusiasm for the series, though. I actually don't read this genre, generally, but the Parker books are so well-written. A lot of my enjoyment comes from admiring Stark's precise and efficient prose, while still having fully fleshed characters and world-building.Stark is Westlake at the absolute top of his game.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SOLD SOLD SOLD

Thought I would reach out to Dan Fans (corny as fuck I know) to see if anyone needs/wants this? It's the edition quarter bound in leather. Would love if someone here got it. Accepting reasonable offers.

seeking: anything DT#246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

For sale:

seeking: anything DT#246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

I PM'd you.

Country
    Country Flag

Matching set:

NF

INCLUDES SHIPPING for U.S. and at cost for International

$285
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

$90 shipped

International shipping is at cost

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    $90 shipped

International shipping is at cost

Great price, for a great set of pulp fiction!

Country
    Country Flag

I think so too. Thanks.

Wish you luck on your #255 search.
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone interested in any of these let me know. All firsts are signed.

- Hollow Man is book without title showing.
    - Children of the Night is the more rare limited edition to 200.
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Some potentially great deals on Simmons stuff in my Ebay store-

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kingfan2323...1&_ipg=&_from=

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I just finished watching 'The Terror' on DVD.
    How does the book compare to the TV show, which I really liked, although I had to use the closed captioning to decipher much of the accents.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I just finished watching 'The Terror' on DVD.
    How does the book compare to the TV show, which I really liked, although I had to use the closed captioning to decipher much of the accents.
    Those accents (and mumbling) make it a tough watch. But great show right! Like the show the book is DETAILED and slow in places but very well done.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

Please let me know if interested or have questions. All firsts are signed.

Children of the Night, Summer Sketches, and Hollow Man are the more rare editions.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Gunslinger Apprentice Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about

Default Hyperion first edition

I posted this in another three but it was probably the wrong one. So I’ll ask again here, I’m starting to collect 1st edition simmons and have quite a few so far. I’m really having trouble with Hyperion though. I know it’s very rare but I’m not even seeing copies for sale. I think to date I’ve come across one and it was like $750. Was the print run on this extremely low? I’m not really able to find too much info on this. Any guidance on price and or rarity would be appreciated.

Gunslinger Apprentice Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about Nemoh21 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry duplicate post

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What ever happened to Omega Canyon? Wasn't it supposed to be out last year?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast