Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Dan Simmons

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    If I like 'Summer of Night' what other Simmons stuff should I check out? I know 'A Winter Haunting' is semi-sequel so I'll probably check that out. Don't know if I'd be into his sci-fi/fantasy stuff.
    Winter Haunting is cool although I think he could have been more straight forward in it's telling.

I loved Carrion Comfort, it has the most evil character in a book that I've ever read.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hyperion is a masterpiece. Even if you don't love sci-fi you will love this book. Crook Factory is also a great read if you like spy novels. Last one for me is The Hollow Men. I don't remember the story anymore but recall loving it - time for a re-read maybe.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved winter haunting myself. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Song of Kali or the collection Prayers to Broken Stones.

The thing with Simmons is he challenges himself to do something different each time out. I'm with the above comment on Hyperion--it's a masterpiece, one of the greatest books I've ever read, and under no circumstance should you miss it. Carrion Comfort is also excellent. But the guy's got a literary style that can be an acquired taste, so it's arguably best to give yourself time to acclimate with his faster-paced material.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    If I like 'Summer of Night' what other Simmons stuff should I check out? I know 'A Winter Haunting' is semi-sequel so I'll probably check that out. Don't know if I'd be into his sci-fi/fantasy stuff.
    If you haven't done so read Banished Dreams (excised material from the original SON manuscript that was published as a chapbook) as well as Watching The Presidential Debates in Elm Haven parts 1 & 2 in the October and November 2008 Message from Dan section on his website. A very nice coda to the novel.
    Other DS novels to consider:
    A Winter Haunting
    Darwin's Blade (A SON character plays a supporting role)
    Children Of The Night (Another SON character prominently featured)
    Phases of Gravity (SON characters in a very minor roles)
    The Hollow Man
    Hardcase, Hard Freeze and Hard As Nails (Joe Kurtz series)
    The Fifth Heart
    Drood
    The Crook Factory

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I know each persons opinion on this question will be different, but I need some help...

If I was only able to read one of the two below books, which would I be better off going with?

The Terror or Summer of Night?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    I know each persons opinion on this question will be different, but I need some help...

If I was only able to read one of the two below books, which would I be better off going with?

TERROR
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely try checking out some of these.

Is 'Banished Dreams' only available as a chapbook via secondhand sources at this point?

Have only read 'Summer of Night' but it's very good IMO. It's very similar to 'It' without feeling like a ripoff if that makes sense.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

That's a tough one as those are his two best books. Guess it all depends if you want a coming-of-age horror tale aka IT or a claustrophobic Arctic chiller. All else being equal, though, I'd probably go with SUMMER OF NIGHT. I think it's a richer and more intimate and nuanced story.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Without a doubt, Summer of Night is the guarantee read. It's phenomenal horror tale. I enjoyed The Terror very much. A bit more literary in it's approach. Not for everyone.

As far as I know, Banished Dreams is only a chapbook. There's one up on eBay for $29.99 B/O.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Summer of Night is way more entertaining and easier to slip into. I am not a historical fiction fan and I found The Terror to be overall a good book but a complete slog at some points. There's large chunks where they talk about what route they're going to take and how they break ice and how much tobacco they have. So would you rather read about kids coming home from a drive in chased by a monster or how some dude found an island that may or may not take them out of the ice.
    Granted when the monster did show up in The Terror it was awesome.

I definitely like Carrion Comfort better than both books though haha.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Yeah, I found The Terror slow going, but I zipped through The Abominable and The Fifth Heart.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Yeah, I found The Terror slow going, but I zipped through The Abominable and The Fifth Heart.
    Wow.. taste is so different from person to person. See I ran out and bought Abominable right after Terror thinking I would get that same "feel" of dread/cold/not really sure... but I didn't. I thought the Terror was miles ahead!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post

Summer of Night is way more entertaining and easier to slip into. I am not a historical fiction fan and I found The Terror to be overall a good book but a complete slog at some points. There's large chunks where they talk about what route they're going to take and how they break ice and how much tobacco they have. So would you rather read about kids coming home from a drive in chased by a monster or how some dude found an island that may or may not take them out of the ice.
    Granted when the monster did show up in The Terror it was awesome.

I definitely like Carrion Comfort better than both books though haha.
    I am with you on Carrion Comfort - Simmons' best book outside of the Hyperion saga. It was my first Simmons experience and I never turned back.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Wow.. taste is so different from person to person. See I ran out and bought Abominable right after Terror thinking I would get that same "feel" of dread/cold/not really sure... but I didn't. I thought the Terror was miles ahead!
    +1. I couldn't even get halfway through THE ABOMINABLE with its overt case of researchus elephantitis, but really enjoyed THE TERROR.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed The Terror although it was a dense sort of read. I didn't fly through it. Haven't read The Abominable yet.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    +1. I couldn't even get halfway through THE ABOMINABLE with its overt case of researchus elephantitis, but really enjoyed THE TERROR.
    Abominable is awful. It would be easier to climb Mt. Everest than finish that one. The plot was also absurd. I also finished Flashback which was pretty bad. The only amusing part was all the right wing politics which I'm sure irritated a lot of folks. Simmons is often best in small doses. I read a few pages and take a break. Other than Summer of Night I could never read one of his books twice. There was a great novel buried somewhere in Drood. That one was about 200 pages longer than necessary.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Summer Of Night

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    There was a great novel buried somewhere in Drood. That one was about 200 pages longer than necessary.
    While I generally liked DROOD, I would readily agree that it felt padded and went into surrealist'ish vibe toward the end that felt tacked on and unnecessary.

While Simmons was an early favorite, his recent doorstop works like BLACK HILLS, FLASHBACK, THE ABOMINABLE, and THE FIFTH HEART have left me cold (admission: didn't even try BLACK HILLS or THE FIFTH HEART...sometimes you can just tell)...THE TERROR was the exception of this latter group, and it was quite the exception...I thought it was very good.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Song of Kali is a very nasty little gem.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There was a great novel buried somewhere in Drood. That one was about 200 pages longer than necessary.
    While I generally liked DROOD, I would readily agree that it felt padded and went into surrealist'ish vibe toward the end that felt tacked on and unnecessary.

While Simmons was an early favorite, his recent doorstop works like BLACK HILLS, FLASHBACK, THE ABOMINABLE, and THE FIFTH HEART have left me cold (admission: didn't even try BLACK HILLS or THE FIFTH HEART...sometimes you can just tell)...THE TERROR was the exception of this latter group, and it was quite the exception...I thought it was very good.
    Agree entirely with this assessment.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Phalucha View Post

Agree entirely with this assessment.
    I agree as well. I really wanted to like Flashback, but it just didn't payoff in the end. I love early Simmons the best. The Crook Factory is a bit of a gem as well.

Simmons definitely makes the reader work. Sometimes the payoff is there, sometimes it isn't.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone read his novella masterpiece, "Muse of Fire"? I loved it. Admittedly, I am an English teacher who loves Shakespeare, but it was really special.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading "Watching the Presidential Debates in Elm Haven". I'll admit some of it was off-putting. One thing that confused me was what happens with Mike O'Rourke. Spoilers:

Spoiler:
    I get that some of it was in reference to 'Children of Night' but the bit with his 'death' completely confused me. Was this elaborated on in another book? I know he also appears in 'Fires of Eden'.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast