Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: John Farson (spoilers)

Along the Path of the Beam Atanóno Fána is on a distinguished road Atanóno Fána's Avatar

Default John Farson, The Good Man *spoilers

So, what do you think of the good man that destroyed Gilead, and indeed the entire Mid-World.
    Personally it's my favorite character, its representation in comics, and especially his hairstyle is just perfect. Even feared him alone Roland, and fled before him, but such a Red King more or less not afraid.
    But I have one question.
    This applies to the knowledge of how to operate machines Old people. I have three different theories, 1, and thus to help Walter / Marten / R.F. 2, is intelligent, but probably more bandit sensitive than expected. 3, through the door into another world which would not be surprising if they went through possibly Eldred Jonas. Maybe all three cases have some truth, but still I'm interested in your opinion.

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I like the idea of a character such as John Farson because, above the Crimson King and even Flagg, he is the ultimate evil in the series in my opinion. He worked as hard as he could to bring down Gilead and the Inner Baronies and, of course, he succeeded. He has caused Roland more pain than any other villain in the series. I would argue that point in regards to Jonas, as well. Farson was the catalyst to Roland's desolate life, and for that I can never forgive him. But I will admit once more that he does work well as a character.

John F. Kennedy Malice is on a distinguished road Malice's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still think King needs to do another book series (I haven't read the comic yet) about the early years of Roland. From him his first days with Cort up to Jericho Hill. I would like to see John Farson explained more and be one of the main villians in a series like that. Along with seeing some of the evil Walter was upto and MORE CUTHBURT!!!
    "Your Man Jesus seems to me a bit of a son of a b!$#h when it comes to women," Roland said, "Was He ever married?"
    The corners of his mouth quirked. "No," he said, "but His girlfriend was a whore."
    "Well," Roland said, "that's a start."

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    MORE CUTHBURT!!!
    I agree wholeheartedly!

Along the Path of the Beam Atanóno Fána is on a distinguished road Atanóno Fána's Avatar

Perhaps in the upcoming work will be something of Farson, even though most of it will probably be revealed in comics.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be interested in learning more about where he comes from and how he thinks.

It's from Desoy or Garland. Me more interested in how good shooter or a warrior, or if not better then General Grissom. Farson knew how to use tanks and robots, or it is rather the head General Grissom?

I have a question. What do you think about hair Farson? It's really his hair appears on most images, or is it on the mask as shown in Treacher 5?

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I was disappointed that Farson actually turned out to be a character. What I mean, when we read Wizard and Glass the first time, this guy never makes an appearance, even his own men haven't met him, or can't really pin down much about him when they claim to have met him. As I read W&G it seemed much more likely that Farson was made up, or an alias of Flagg, who as it so happens is the only head baddie to show his face in W&G. I guess Walter's appearance is almost red herring in hindsight. Still, I preferred to imagine Farson as some sort of never-seen wizard or general, and the allusions to Wizard of Oz at the end had felt like a hint too (Farson, like Oz, was really just someone pushing buttons behind a curtain). That that didn't end up being what happened is fine, but I remember discussing Farson pre-2003 with a friend and he felt the same way, that Farson was either Flagg/Walter or a nobody puppet.

Now, I've not caught up with The Good Man in the comics so maybe I'll grow to like the idea of him as a legitimately separate character, but I think it's easy to understand why I was leaning the other way before the closing trilogy and comics came out.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, it is very easy to understand and it another time solidifies my strong belief (as if it needed solidifying...) that comics have nothing to do with the book and can only vulgarize, oversimplify and reduce it to something akin to the adventures of Misery Chastain

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The strength or weakness of the Dark Tower comics all boils down to one thing, is it cannon? King has lent his name to the series, and in doing so has accepted (I believe) the series as cannon to his DT saga. If at some time he should decide otherwise, all he need do is write another tale that contradicts it and whammo, the comic series is undone.

As for John Farson, before the comics (which I have not read beyond The Long Road Home) I always thought Farson and Walter to be one and the same.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't call it canon to the novels yet, I think that it could only really be that if King learned how to write comics and spent his time working on it personally. Another way to think of it is an alternate reality or level of the tower, that old stand by. The main reason I'm buying the comics is to see the art. Dark Tower art is always interesting.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, with the stories being written in part by King's research assistant Robin Furth as well as King giving them his name to use (remember that King WILL have his name removed from bastardizations that he doesn't approve of ala The Lawnmower Man), I think there is a good argument for considering the stories cannon until we hear otherwise.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Farson certainly not puppet. Conversely, even Flagg serves him. Farson not so much serve the King, only has common interests. Flagg on orders Farson had to Gilead to save his nephew and Grapefruit. Strange that Farson calmly came to the gates of the city.
    But my question, do you think Farson hair is real or is it on the mask as "doubtful" indicated on the packaging Treacher 5?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Well, with the stories being written in part by King's research assistant Robin Furth as well as King giving them his name to use (remember that King WILL have his name removed from bastardizations that he doesn't approve of ala The Lawnmower Man), I think there is a good argument for considering the stories cannon until we hear otherwise.
    With all due respect to Mr. King and Mrs. Furth neither of them can say it is canon and make it so. My argument for them not being canon is unconcerned with whether King , Furth, or the messiah declares them to be such. It is more important to see whether they are confined to preexisting canon. If they are not consistent with the originally planned series (1-7) then they are not canon even if King offers, his name, fingerprints and dna for their covers. If they are inconsistent than his name only makes them sanctioned bastardizations.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

John Farson, his hair is real (it looks at all the pictures) or on the mask (Treacher 5)? What do you think?

Earlier today, an e-mail written by Jae Lee. Farson is said to have blond hair, in fact!!! I hope you made fun of me

Traveler Darkle and Tinct is on a distinguished road Darkle and Tinct's Avatar

The comics are meant to be canon. So far the series is consistent with the novels -- everything is appearing to fit, except for a few discrepancies that are cleared up by King/Roland.
    John Farson is meant to represent another side of the Crimson King's influence -- whereas Flagg/Broadcloak is a subtle manipulator who prefers to spread chaos by influencing others, Farson is the aggressive, immediate side of evil.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I liked John Farson quite a bit at first. Some of Furth's earlier pieces made him out to be a figure with a sort of savior complex, being that he was taking in the gunslingers cast out of Gilead. So I figured when he actually attacked Gilead, he'd offer its citizens a chance at renouncing the gunslingers. In doing so, he'd be offering them a chance at a new life in his envisioned regime.

Then came the issue where his men just take flamethrowers to the civilians. After that I didn't really care for him as much. It seemed like something done just to make us think, "Wow, what an evil guy!" I would have thought it more disturbing had he torched the ones who held to the rule of the gunslingers.

That said, I did like the idea of using the prisoners as targets to test out the weaponry of the Old People.

I prefer that Farson and Flagg be two separate characters; I enjoy Flagg/Walter/The Ageless Stranger as the manipulator.

Well, no it does not seem to be manipulated by Walter to Farson. It helps him to command the Red King. This is Walter task. Farson but he threatens and commands. Farson is smart and handle myself. Nobody is listening, perhaps even the Red King. Just support it, which is an advantage for both.

Gunslinger Apprentice 19eye-rosecrow-gun is on a distinguished road 19eye-rosecrow-gun's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Default They (who? open the thread) are one. :spoilers:

I believe that Farson and Flagg are actually the same. I have read the graphic series. I think Flagg used his dark magic to create a decoy who was under his control to act and talk as if they were Farson. In the books we never actually see an encounter with The Good Man, and in the comics (as I recall, could be wrong) we never see his face (The Man With No Face...). Plus at the end of the comics, it says that the man behind it all is Walter, indicating that he is the true mastermind.

I think any time Flagg and Farson are together is simple trickery of the wizard. Flagg is Farson.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am absolutely sure they are two different people, for the obvious reason that the gunslingers' rule (that I am very skeptical about) was doomed to provoke a lot of opposition, and, finally, an organized revolt, which, in its turn, breeds leaders without any help from any special evil forces. The advent of such a figure as Farson was necessary, given the historical circumstances.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Seneschal is on a distinguished road Seneschal's Avatar

I agree with The Tenant. they are two different people. upon reworking the books, if King wanted us to believe that Flagg and Farson were the same he would have specifically made it clear like he did with other incarnations of Flagg.

also, Farson's initials are J.F., not R.F. l
    Time is a face on the water.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Stephen King seemed to be uncertain about this topic for quite some time.
    I'm not so sure that he intended Farson's revolt to imply skeptical governance of Gilead.
    Also, I can't really say how crucial questions of his intentions are... but still, I find all of this quite interesting.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Even if they're not the same person (I don't think they are), Flagg had such an influence over Farson that it ultimately doesn't matter much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast