Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    So this isn't a collecting question as much as it is a reading question. I am about 120 pages into Lord of the Rings, and Iam completely bored. I can only read a few pages at a time before I have to put the book down. Am I rushing to judgment? So many people say LOTR is the greatest thing ever...I'm not seeing it, at least not yet.
    Well. not positive as far as where 120 pages puts you in the story, but you have to get past "Rivendell" before it really picks up. A truly wonderful tale!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bill, I feel better now. Haven't gotten to Rivendell yet...just left Tom Bombadil's house. I won't give up on it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bill, I feel better now. Haven't gotten to Rivendell yet...just left Tom Bombadil's house. I won't give up on it.
    Oh I know what you mean, Tom Bomadil was "brutal" to me. All those poems and songs!!! Arrghhhh!!! "Weathertop" is cool and the arrival at "Rivendell" as well. It's mostly "gravy" from here on out!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

In fairness. It's overall a marvelous story, but there are parts that sorta drag.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Oh I know what you mean, Tom Bomadil was "brutal" to me. All those poems and songs!!! Arrghhhh!!! "Weathertop" is cool and the arrival at "Rivendell" as well. It's mostly "gravy" from here on out!!!!!
    Yes, do continue!

It's all rather Hobbit light until Rivendell. Complete the story and then you will know if it was worthwhile.

Tom Bombidil is an enigma in the story,the council of Elrond is probably one of my favourite chapters ever. It opens up the whole story.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default fellowship

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    In fairness. It's overall a marvelous story, but there are parts that sorta drag.
    The part i thought that dragged was, fellowship of the ring
    But a neccesary evil to get the desired effect from the rest of the story.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    The part i thought that dragged was, fellowship of the ring
    But a neccesary evil to get the desired effect from the rest of the story.
    I thought it set the story up wonderful.

A lot of people were disappointed with the slowness but I adore Fellowship.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

In all fairness i was young the first time i read it which may have had something to do with my feelings about that book. However you are correct, It is a crucial book and set up the rest of the trilogy amazingly. VERY well written and like i said, neccesary.

Country
    Country Flag

In all fairness i was young the first time i read it which may have had something to do with my feelings about that book. However you are correct, It is a crucial book and set up the rest of the trilogy amazingly. VERY well written and like i said, neccesary.
    I always assumed that the pacing of the book was deliberate, as in the start was slow to show off the lazy relaxed lifestyle the Hobbits lived, as opposed to
    Spoiler:
    after Rivendell when there is a genuine menace in the air and the mood takes a turn for the worst.

On a side note, what did people think of 'The Council Of Elrond'?

All the information was almost an overload for my brain but I absolutely adored that chapter. Your view of Middle Earth just expanded at an instant. You realised that this wasn't just a hobbit problem but something that would effect everybody.

Can you tell I love Tolkien?

Red Cloud

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It left a pretty bleak feeling in the pit of my stomach at the time.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For your enjoyment, these are my copies, maybe less rare but I'd say no less loved. These are paperback Ballentine editions of my parents that I have from the mid 70s that I remember as a child of 6 or 7, really reading first as a 6th grader (and not understanding much of), and are still my reading copies read every few years (although I treat them quite a bit more carefully now.

Here in The Hobbit (assuming that I got these URLs in the right order), I tried to get a futile family tree to try to keep the names straight. For some reason, I kept merging Bilbo & Frodo into the same hobbit, not understanding this was a prologue of essentially a different cast of characters.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I edited your post to show the photos rather than just links. Hope you don't mind.

Those books remind me of the set I first read as a kid in the '70's as well. THE HOBBIT was great, but reading TLOTR series was a long haul for my developing attention span.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I edited your post to show the photos rather than just links. Hope you don't mind.

Those books remind me of the set I first read as a kid in the '70's as well. THE HOBBIT was great, but reading TLOTR series was a long haul for my developing attention span.
    Same here!!!! God, I just LOVED it!!!!! Read the Trilogy in 3 days!!! My class was reading it and I was home sick (blood poisoning, long story). Had my brothers stop in and get the next book each day and return the last!!!! Got my first PB set 2 weeks later!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You read a full TLOR book each day for three days in a row?! That's crazy, Bill!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You read a full TLOR book each day for three days in a row?! That's crazy, Bill!
    Well, as I said I was "Laid up", but after Fellowship I was under the covers with a flashlight!!!! Plus there was no cable at the time. "Star Trek", "Twilight Zone" and "Outer Limits" were about it for me mostly. This was like '74-'75. Also, there was no "TV" like the one in your mind. Remember that???? I read a LOT of books by flashlight in those days!!!! I could literally devour them!!!! LOTR was almost like that "Where were you when Kennedy was Shot"? thing. You just have to remember the first time you read LOTR. right? AWESOME book!!!!! I read "The Hobbit" and Silmarillion" after.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not at all, it was just too late for me, after several failed attempts. Thanks!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those Ballentine editions came out at the same time as a set of Ace editions (which were unauthorized). I ended up buying the Ace editions anyway, because the Ballentine editions were $.95 while the Ace ones were $.75. Back then, it really made a difference. I just wish I still had them (they were destroyed when my basement flooded.)

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you lose a lot of books when it flooded?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Between 20,000 and 30,000 books, paperbacks, magazines, etc. I'd been collecting for more than 40 years. I donated most of what was left to charities.

John

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh my god! I know it must have been devastating.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Luckily, I had some of the most valuable items upstairs--an almost complete set of Weird Tales (1923-1954), most of my Stephen King items and some other stuff. It just about broke my heart, though.

John

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No doubt! It makes me sick just to think about it.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

No doubt! It makes me sick just to think about it.
    Me too.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that's some serious bad luck, sorry for your loss.

I had a lot of things stolen from me and I kind of lost heart with beginning again as I just didn't have the energy or the money to start from scratch. I just had to let go...

Red Cloud

Country
    Country Flag

It left a pretty bleak feeling in the pit of my stomach at the time.
    The mood certainly changed after that!

It was like a veil being lifted off of Middle Earth to reveal the true scope of the quest.

And then The Silmarillion...

Red Cloud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast