Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I'll see what I can find and maybe come up with a rough draft that everyone can add their two cents to.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here we go - looked at the UK bookstores and came up with this.
    I need to do some serious bookshelf emptying and then buying!

27 April 2023 The Battle of Maldon

10 Nov 2022 The Silmarillion

10 Nov 2022 The Fall of Numenor : And Other Tales from the Second Age of Middle-Earth

14 Oct 2021 The Lord of the Rings Special deluxe edition

14 Oct 2021 The Lord of the Rings

02 Sep 2021 The Nature of Middle-earth

01 Oct 2020 Unfinished Tales (40th anniversary collector's edition)

30 Apr 2020 Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

18 Oct 2019 Letters from Father Christmas

03 Sep 2018 The Fall of Gondolin

10 Jan 2018 The Complete History of Middle-earth

01 Jun 2017 Beren and Luthien

20 Oct 2016 The Story of Kullervo

22 May 2014 Beowulf : A Translation and Commentary

05 Dec 2013 Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth

23 May 2013 The Fall of Arthur

05 May 2009 The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun

17 Nov 2008 Tales from the Perilous Realm

10 Dec 2007 The J. R. R. Tolkien Collection

05 Nov 2007 The Silmarillion

16 May 2007 The Children of Hurin

18 Oct 2004 The Hobbit

18 Oct 2004 The Lord of the Rings
    Last edited by Lurker; 05-04-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Fun project though - enjoy!
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, the trailer for the Amazon Prime series, "The Rings of Power" looks pretty freaking awesome despite some apparent liberties with the source material.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Not a great picture taker. Got cases for my SILMARILLION and Unfinished Tales. Love them. Fit perfectly.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

WOW. Love that.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Beautiful cases. Leather?

Country
    Country Flag

Yep, leather. Felt inside with a pull thingy.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Yep, leather. Felt inside with a pull thingy.
    Sewn in book marker? lol lol

Truth be told, I love those things in books. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Folio Society has a new limited edition (1,000 copies) of LOTR; looks nice, but doesn't come cheap - $1,500.00: https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/the...d-edition.html

Some specs:

Limited to 1,000 sets numbered and signed by Alan Lee 

Quarter-bound in leather with cloth sides blocked in silver and inset with illustration labels 

Circular limitation tip printed letterpress on Tintoretto paper hand tipped within a gold border 

Set in Dante with Testament as display  

1,504 pages in total over three volumes printed on Munken Pure paper 

Printed in black and burgundy throughout 

53 colour illustrations in total printed on Veltique paper tipped within printed borders 

57 illustrated chapter openers 

Endpapers printed with a design by the artist 

Also included is a Note on the Text by Douglas A. Anderson, a Note on the Revised Text by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Tolkien’s Foreword to the Second Edition and Prologue, as well as Appendices and Indexes.

Silver page tops 

Burgundy satin ribbon markers 

Two maps printed together in black and red and enclosed in a case covered in blocked cloth 

Hand-made cloth-covered slipcase blocked in silver and gunmetal with printed illustration inside 

12˝ × 7ľ˝ 

Separate print presented in a folder of Pergamenata paper 
    ...and a video:

Country
    Country Flag

Nice version, but a bit steep for me. Site says 145 left.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Gone. (I hope people here at least got to take a look).

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

It's looks very nice, but at $1500 I passed. 1000 other people chose differently.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

As much a fan I am of the Alan Lee illustrated 3 volume LOTR sets- this was an instant HARD pass for me at $1500. Half that price would give me pause. I guess Folio will keep ramping up their prices on these Limited Editions as long as suckers (sorry, I mean "Collectors") lap them up and sell them out within hours. I'm still delightfully happy with my regular old $100 gorgeous oversize set- which I still consider one of the nicest set of books ever.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

For the Hobbit fan who has just about everything, except...

https://camelotbooks.com/hobbit-menu.html
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like The Silmarillion is this years slipcased edition.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

That link didn't work for me. This one works.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

There will be two other additions this year to the various slipcased deluxe series from Harpercollins:

The Complete Guide to Middle-earth:

The Fall of Numenor:

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

HBJ, you wouldn't have a link to those editions now would you?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Apologies - I should have provided links in my original post. Here they are on Book Depository:

The Complete Guide to Middle-earth Deluxe: https://www.bookdepository.com/Compl.../9780008537821
    The Fall of Numenor: https://www.bookdepository.com/Fall-.../9780008537845

There are new trade editions of both of these titles, from HarperCollins, as well.

There's also a "non-deluxe" edition of the Tolkien-illustrated Silmarillion, above:
    HarperCollins (UK): https://www.bookdepository.com/Silma.../9780008537890
    William Morrow (US): https://www.bookdepository.com/Silma.../9780063280779

Blackwell's also has these editions listed for preorder (scroll down to see them):

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/se...Value=DateDesc

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Apologies - I should have provided links in my original post. Here they are on Book Depository:

The Complete Guide to Middle-earth Deluxe: https://www.bookdepository.com/Compl.../9780008537821
    The Fall of Numenor: https://www.bookdepository.com/Fall-.../9780008537845

There are new trade editions of both of these titles, from HarperCollins, as well.

There's also a "non-deluxe" edition of the Tolkien-illustrated Silmarillion, above:
    HarperCollins (UK): https://www.bookdepository.com/Silma.../9780008537890
    William Morrow (US): https://www.bookdepository.com/Silma.../9780063280779

Blackwell's also has these editions listed for preorder (scroll down to see them):

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/se...Value=DateDesc

HBJ
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Great. I missed the The Fall of Numenor. Will have to get.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not exactly germane to this thread but, there is a new Teaser/Trailer out for "Rings of Power" on, Amazon and another due for the 15th I believe.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Great. I missed the The Fall of Numenor. Will have to get.
    It looks interesting, similar in nature to the Great Tales volumes.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looking at some of the videos, these slipcased illustrated editions aren't that great looking. I prefer the way the standard deluxe editions look.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast