Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    New limited edition of LOTR - with some nice features - coming on Oct 14 or 19 (Amazon UK says Oct 14, the AP says Oct 19):

Sumptuous slipcased edition of Tolkien’s classic epic tale of adventure, fully illustrated in colour for the first time by the author himself. Limited to a worldwide first printing of just 5,000 copies, this deluxe volume is quarterbound in leather and includes many special features unique to this edition...

This one-volume deluxe slipcased edition contains the complete text, fully corrected and reset, which is printed in red and black and features, for the very first time, thirty colour illustrations, maps and sketches drawn by Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work. These include the pages from the Book of Mazarbul, marvellous facsimiles created by Tolkien to accompany the famous ‘Bridge of Khazad-dum’ chapter. Also appearing are two poster-size, fold-out maps revealing all the detail of Middle-earth.

This very special deluxe edition is quarterbound in cloth and red leather, with raised ribs on the spine and stamped in two foils. The pages are edged in gold and contained within are special features unique to this edition. It is limited to a worldwide first printing of just 5,000 copies.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-.../dp/0008471290

An upcoming edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy will include paintings, drawings and other illustrations by the British author for the first time since it was published in the mid-1950s.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media announced Thursday that the new version will come out Oct. 19. Deb Brody, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s vice president and publisher, noted that Tolkien was already known for his illustrations which appeared in “The Hobbit” and that his artwork for “The Lord of the Rings” had been exhibited in 2018 in New York, Paris and in Oxford, England.
    https://apnews.com/article/oxford-jr...256aa294eb8667

A bit out of my price range, but hopefully someone here can get one (and post photos for me!).
    Oh Man- I need one of these. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, "currently unavailable" to me in the US, as well. Although it looks like they will ship to the US...

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    New limited edition of LOTR - with some nice features - coming on Oct 14 or 19 (Amazon UK says Oct 14, the AP says Oct 19):

Sumptuous slipcased edition of Tolkien’s classic epic tale of adventure, fully illustrated in colour for the first time by the author himself. Limited to a worldwide first printing of just 5,000 copies, this deluxe volume is quarterbound in leather and includes many special features unique to this edition...

This one-volume deluxe slipcased edition contains the complete text, fully corrected and reset, which is printed in red and black and features, for the very first time, thirty colour illustrations, maps and sketches drawn by Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work. These include the pages from the Book of Mazarbul, marvellous facsimiles created by Tolkien to accompany the famous ‘Bridge of Khazad-dum’ chapter. Also appearing are two poster-size, fold-out maps revealing all the detail of Middle-earth.

This very special deluxe edition is quarterbound in cloth and red leather, with raised ribs on the spine and stamped in two foils. The pages are edged in gold and contained within are special features unique to this edition. It is limited to a worldwide first printing of just 5,000 copies.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-.../dp/0008471290

An upcoming edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy will include paintings, drawings and other illustrations by the British author for the first time since it was published in the mid-1950s.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media announced Thursday that the new version will come out Oct. 19. Deb Brody, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s vice president and publisher, noted that Tolkien was already known for his illustrations which appeared in “The Hobbit” and that his artwork for “The Lord of the Rings” had been exhibited in 2018 in New York, Paris and in Oxford, England.
    https://apnews.com/article/oxford-jr...256aa294eb8667

A bit out of my price range, but hopefully someone here can get one (and post photos for me!).
    Oh Man- I need one of these. Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, "currently unavailable" to me in the US, as well. Although it looks like they will ship to the US...
    This looks awesome. Does anyone have the U.S. Amazon link?

Any other places to order it?

Thx, Guys.

ISO: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I’ll likely be picking up both a bit closer to publication. They both look fantastic.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The deluxe can be ordered from the US here:

https://www.bookdepository.com/The-L.../9780008471293

$183.73.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

The deluxe can be ordered from the US here:

https://www.bookdepository.com/The-L.../9780008471293

$183.73.
    Thank you!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Friends deserve the gift of magic too.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks all!
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey all. I was thinking of ordering the deluxe from Waterstones since they ship to the US.

How has everyones experience with them been? Are they reliable? Do they pack well?

Or rather of the sites where a US buyer can get the deluxe edition who is the most reliable to actually fulfill the order and get it to me safely? Waterstones, Blackwell, Book depository?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    Hey all. I was thinking of ordering the deluxe from Waterstones since they ship to the US.

How has everyones experience with them been? Are they reliable? Do they pack well?

Or rather of the sites where a US buyer can get the deluxe edition who is the most reliable to actually fulfill the order and get it to me safely? Waterstones, Blackwell, Book depository?
    I've purchased several editions from them in the past and never had a problem. You can also go the "proxy" route and enlisted a fellow, British member to help with 'recieipt/delivery" which, I have and continue to have engaged in previously. There are some truly wonderful, blokes/birds from across the pond who are members here that are often willing to assist.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I've found both Book Depository and Waterstones to be a bit iffy when it comes to packaging - often being little more than a cardboard shipping envelope. I've had books arrive safely from both nonetheless, but I order from them understanding the risk. I've heard Blackwell's is better, but I haven't ordered from them, so can't give first-hand recommendations.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

I've found both Book Depository and Waterstones to be a bit iffy when it comes to packaging - often being little more than a cardboard shipping envelope. I've had books arrive safely from both nonetheless, but I order from them understanding the risk. I've heard Blackwell's is better, but I haven't ordered from them, so can't give first-hand recommendations.

HBJ
    Oh yeah, Waterstones is the worst!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I see Hatchard's in the UK is also allowing for international preorders... I've never even heard of them.

Anyone know if they are a good option for being confident in that they will fulfill the order and ship safely to the US?

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Blackwell’s of Oxford are very professional and reliable, their packaging is certainly up to specification.
    Hatchards of Piccadilly in London I have never used, however with their history, position and reputation I would consider them solid in all aspects.
    Best wishes
    Alec.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Here you go, dig out your wallets:

https://www.eastonpress.com/all-cate...rid=1242949912
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

HEADS UP PEOPLE:

There is a less-deluxe, non-slipcase edition being published simultaneously with the one above. Personally, I dig the white leather, and the page edges - ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0358653037

$75 US.

A small update to this: for the first time, the page edges (shown with white elvish script on a red background) have been acknowledged in actual product description (on Amazon US):

...ink-sprayed edges displaying Tolkien’s runes...
    ...but then, elvish (shown) and runes (mentioned in description) are two very different things (we must stay tuned).

My Mood
    Relaxed

Well-spotted, St. Troy. I don't think I'll be purchasing this "lesser" deluxe edition. The white and red just isn't doing it for me. On the other hand, the UK Deluxe black stamped cloth and red leather looks great to me, and is already on order. Incidentally, it appears that amazon UK will now ship to US... and for cheaper than book depository: $170 shipped to the latter's $185, if anyone was still looking.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Another Tolkien related book from Easton Press:

May as well tack this one on:

https://www.eastonpress.com/all-cate...ings-2417.html

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Ordered this. Handsome looking edition indeed! Thx, Steve!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

They are paperbacks...

....but they are DELUXE!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...3J6UQ2jAKX1lmw

My Nature of Middle-Earth volumes are on their way from the UK! I've been looking forward to this.

Ilium (Simmons)

More Tolkien from Easton Press,
    not sure if first time or a reprint:

The Nature of Middle-Earth arrived today, and it looks like a fascinating read. It appears to be a collection of Tolkien’s writings about various aspects of Middle-Earth (as opposed to fictional narrative). I assume most of this material was written during Tolkien’s later period of recasting the First Age tales into the framework created by The Lord of the Rings, but I guess I’ll find out.

I don’t know how much of this material has already appeared in HoME or UT, but I’ve heard it’s mostly new.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

The Final Jeopardy answer today was 'J. R. R. Tolkien', which I had before one quarter of the answer was given, and two of the contestants knew, although both wrote only his last name and both spelled it incorrectly.

The deluxe edition has arrived! Looks great next to the others in thes series.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast