Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I got lucky and managed to buy a first printing of the deluxe HarperCollins hardcover of Unfinished Tales for less than cover price. It’s got a few minor condition problems, but it’s a keeper.

This is part of the slipcased, unsigned, relatively inexpensive editions of Tolkien’s works. I’m not really that obsessed with getting first printings of the whole series, but if I see one for cheap, I’ll try to get it to replace a later printing.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I am currently doing the same
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found the hobbit 40th printing for $20

Worth buying?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    I found the hobbit 40th printing for $20

Worth buying?
    Sure

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I recently found a first printing of The Children of Húrin Deluxe edition for a reasonable price, in excellent condition. So I’m now one volume closer to having firsts of all three Great Tales deluxe editions. Just Beren to go.

I also found a second printing of the LOTR 50th Anniversary deluxe edition, and an earlier printing of The Hobbit deluxe.

By the way, does anyone know how to determine the printing of the hobbit deluxe edition? It doesn’t appear to have a print number or number line on the copyright page. Is there some other way to tell?

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I read somewhere once that the true first was more blue, and after that the book was more green?
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And isn't there something about being able to see the runes when you hold the map up to light?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Aw, you runed it for me!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

1/1 of Beren Deluxe found! So that's all three Great Tales in deluxe first printings on my shelf.

(Not the super-nice editions signed by Alan Lee, I should add. These are the cheaper unsigned slipcased editions)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    1/1 of Beren Deluxe found! So that's all three Great Tales in deluxe first printings on my shelf.

(Not the super-nice editions signed by Alan Lee, I should add. These are the cheaper unsigned slipcased editions)

HBJ
    Congrats! I'm still looking for a Harper Collins 1st deluxe of Children of Hurin- in case anyone sees one out there somewhere.. That one is tough to find mint: nobody wants to open the shrinkwrap to verify the printing.

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post

HBJ
    Congrats! I'm still looking for a Harper Collins 1st deluxe of Children of Hurin- in case anyone sees one out there somewhere.. That one is tough to find mint: nobody wants to open the shrinkwrap to verify the printing.
    Thanks! Beren was a little pricey but I got some of the others in the series cheap, so it evens out in the end.

I settled for a Children of Hurin that was not mint by any means, but is still in very nice condition. I had to ask the seller to check the printing, though; it wasn't stated in the listing.

(And yes, there are a few Houghton Mifflin CoHs floating around, listed as HarperCollins editions. You need to be careful. I'm also only collecting the HC editions)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I may be behind on stuff, just found out about this one:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight With Pearl and Sir Orfeo
    Deluxe Slipcased edition

(Just an example - not a plug. I bought mine from Book Deposit)

Yes, another nice addition to the series. Mine came two weeks ago, I think.

There's an Illustrated Unfinished Tales being published later this year, which sounds amazing. No pics yet, but there is a standard and a deluxe edition, and the latter may be in this series.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm. Knew I was behind.

Thanks for the heads up on Unfinished Tales. Wouldn't have known about that either probably.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Did you hear about the butcher who backed into a fan?
    He got a little behind in his work.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

There's an Illustrated Unfinished Tales being published later this year, which sounds amazing. No pics yet, but there is a standard and a deluxe edition, and the latter may be in this series.

HBJ
    Pretty excited about this one. Unlike a lot of the other Deluxe Tolkien editions in recent years, as far as I'm concerned- this is mandatory Ring Canon. So much good stuff in this tome. And it looks really cool! I ordered from amazon UK (I'm in the states), because the last time I ordered straight from Harper Collins (for Beren & Luthien Deluxe, I believe)- it was a shipping disaster. Hopefully better luck this way. Anyway- anyone else excited for this? I'm also thinking of "upgrading" my LOTR Alan Lee boxed 3 vol set to the new set with new DJ art that includes The Hobbit. It looks like a very nice set, but I'm just looking at sales pics online, and, honestly- it'll have to be magnificent to top the sumptuously red cloth bound, premium paper previous set. A real gem in my collection. Anyone have this new set? How does the binding/gliding/paper hold up to the "old" set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unfinished-...smarturl-gb-21

HBJ
    Pretty excited about this one. Unlike a lot of the other Deluxe Tolkien editions in recent years, as far as I'm concerned- this is mandatory Ring Canon. So much good stuff in this tome. And it looks really cool! I ordered from amazon UK (I'm in the states), because the last time I ordered straight from Harper Collins (for Beren & Luthien Deluxe, I believe)- it was a shipping disaster. Hopefully better luck this way. Anyway- anyone else excited for this? I'm also thinking of "upgrading" my LOTR Alan Lee boxed 3 vol set to the new set with new DJ art that includes The Hobbit. It looks like a very nice set, but I'm just looking at sales pics online, and, honestly- it'll have to be magnificent to top the sumptuously red cloth bound, premium paper previous set. A real gem in my collection. Anyone have this new set? How does the binding/gliding/paper hold up to the "old" set?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unfinished-...smarturl-gb-21
    I'm looking longingly at the Deluxe Unfinished Tales, but I may have to pass. I need to get selective about what I collect, and while there are lots of very mice Tolkien volumes out there - of which this is one - I'm restricting myself to the Deluxe slipcased hardcovers with grey boards for now. This doesn't look to be in that set; it's one of the deluxe illustrated series, which I don't have.

This video reviews the Hobbit/LotR set you were referring to, I think.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't announced an Illustrated Silmarillion. I would have thought that would be released ahead of Unfinished Tales.

(I share your love for UT, by the way. Required reading.)

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Relaxed

Thanks, HBJ- that video was VERY helpful. That "new" LOTR/Hobbit set is a much smaller set than the 2003 (?I think) set that I'm so fond of. These are similar in size to the newer HC books- the standard 6 x 9, while the older set is a generous 8 x 10, and, as I said up top- bound in rich red cloth, and printed on coated paper. Each of those books has to weigh 3-4 lbs! Still.. this looks like a nice set. I'm considering it. Again- thanks for that video!

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

Forgive me if that was already mentioned upthread, but Goldsboro Books is selling copies of Unfinished Tales that are signed by Alan Lee.

Click!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...That "new" LOTR/Hobbit set is a much smaller set than the 2003 (?I think) set that I'm so fond of. These are similar in size to the newer HC books- the standard 6 x 9, while the older set is a generous 8 x 10, and, as I said up top- bound in rich red cloth, and printed on coated paper. Each of those books has to weigh 3-4 lbs!...
    I'm excited about the illustrated Unfinished Tales (which Amazon lists as 8.2" x 5.5"), but I wish it was as large as the LOTR set you mention (which I measure to be 10" x 7 3/4"). I also have matching editions of The Hobbit and The Silmarillion); they are quite a value for the cost (illustrated, huge and heavy!). If I knew that HC/HM was eventually going to issue a similarly large edition of UT, I would hold off, but it's impossible to know what they will do.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Reminds me. Finally picked up a 1st. And the rune thing is true! Altho it may work in all editions for all I know...

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    ...And the rune thing is true!
    Rune thing? Please explain.

(Nice book, too.)
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Reminds me. Finally picked up a 1st. And the rune thing is true! Altho it may work in all editions for all I know...

Very nice indeed! Big congrats!

Would you mind taking a photo of the copyright page and posting it here? I would like to compare with my copy, which I hope is a first printing.

Edited to add: my fold-out map also shows the runes when you hold it up to the light (although they are just printed in reverse on the back of the map; I thought it might be a watermark).

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Troy:

On map, under Desolation of Smaug, if you hold a light behind the map runes appear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast