Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Troy:

On map, under Desolation of Smaug, if you hold a light behind the map runes appear.
    Thanks. Very cool.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Troy:

On map, under Desolation of Smaug, if you hold a light behind the map runes appear.
    Thanks very much! Mine is identical, is the darker blue/green color compared to the green of later printings, and has the see-through runes. I'm calling it a first printing.

Edited to add: I have a later printing which also has the see-through runes (although the map is folded differently), has the more green boards, and the copyright page is somewhat different. It is printed by a company in Hong Kong, and the HarperCollins address is in Bridge Street.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. I got my copy years ago but was pretty sure it wasn't a first. Mine has a different ISBN and was printed in Hong Kong. But mine has the same HC address as a first.

Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

My later printing has the same ISBN as your's Becca.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the page that came with it - I would image they are all the same?
    Maybe Available limited time only would be different? or should be.

I bought this copy from David Miller at the Tolkien Bookshelf. If he says it's a first it's a first. There is a huge description of it on the invoice - if only I could find where I put it. I'll look more tomorrow now that everything can go back to normal as Laura missed us by about 75 miles.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Glad to hear you're ok.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I really feel for E Texas and Louisiana. I just hope we can make one more month without a hit.

Still looking...
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Harpercollins have announced a new Illustrated edition of The Silmarillion, in standard and deluxe editions, to be published on March 18, 2021.

Standard: 9780008433949
    Deluxe: 9780008433956

This completes the illustrated Tolkien series, which includes the three Great Tales (2007, 2017, 2018), the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings illustrated editions (2020), Unfinished Tales (2020), and The Silmarillion (2021).

(I didn’t realize this “series” existed until this announcement).

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

A new volume of essays by Tolkien about Middle-Earth, titled "The Nature of Middle-Earth", will be published on May 27, 2021.

The essays are either previously unpublished or were published only in hard-to-find editions; they are not culled from the Letters of J R R Tolkien, The History of Middle-Earth, or other easily-found sources. The material was given to the editor, Carl F. Hostetter, by CJRT shortly before his death.

It will be published by HarperCollins (UK) and Houghton Mifflin (US). No word yet on signed or deluxe editions.

More information here.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

For truly exhaustive discussion on things like this, try: https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/

Thanks! Their thread on this books is fantastic. Hard to beat a thread where the editor himself posts nuggets of information.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

I just received the HarperCollins trade edition of the Illustrated Unfinished Tales, and I have to say, I’m pretty impressed. For a relatively inexpensive edition (I paid $35, including shipping) the production values are decent, and the are many nice little details - heavy paper stock, color maps, very nice illustrations, multiple ink colors, and a ribbon marker.

I’m not sure if it will become collectible, but this edition makes for a very enjoyable reading experience. If you don’t have a copy of Unfinished Tales and would like to read the physical book, I’d highly recommend paying a bit extra to get this edition.

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Nice. Glad to hear they did a good job with the trade edition. I have the "deluxe", but also want a trade. Where did you buy it from? I've had a lot of bad luck getting HC editions over to me in the states without damage. The thin cardboard wraparound fails every time. Also, is it in the larger 8 x 10 size? Or, the "standard" 6 x 9?

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Nice. Glad to hear they did a good job with the trade edition. I have the "deluxe", but also want a trade. Where did you buy it from? I've had a lot of bad luck getting HC editions over to me in the states without damage. The thin cardboard wraparound fails every time. Also, is it in the larger 8 x 10 size? Or, the "standard" 6 x 9?
    I also have the deluxe version, with the illustrated slipcase. But I don’t have a trade hardcover edition of unfinished tales, so I got the illustrated trade edition as well. It’s well worth it, in my opinion. The book is 6 x 9, and is the same size as the other recent HarperCollins Tolkien trade hardcovers - The Fall of Gondolin, for example.

I bought it from book depository and yes, while there was no damage to the book itself, there was some minor dust jacket damage on one corner and part of one edge. I’m happy enough with it, but it’s not the way to go if you want a pristine copy.

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From the Wired website :

See the Sketches J.R.R. Tolkien Used to Build Middle-Earth
    Here's an exclusive look at the new book 'The Art of the Lord of the Rings' by J.R.R. Tolkien.

> https://www.wired.com/2015/10/see-jr...or-first-time/

I saw some of JRR Tolkien's drawing at the Paris exhibition, last year, and was quite impressed!
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NB : saw last night on Twitter, but it 's an old article, from 2015
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

I was tossing up whether to get the illustrated hobbit/lord of the rings Box Set, but I found one online that was very reasonably priced, so I took the plunge.

I have to say, they did a great job with it. Perhaps not quite as nice as the illustrated unfinished tales – the page stock seems a little cheaper – it still features two color printing throughout, a ribbon marker, and many very nice color illustrations by Alan Lee. Again, probably not that collectible – particularly as it is now in its third printing – but they make for a very nice reading copies indeed.

I have a few different editions of the Lord of the rings, in hardcover and paperback, but for my next read I think I will use these illustrated hardcovers. .

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

New limited edition of LOTR - with some nice features - coming on Oct 14 or 19 (Amazon UK says Oct 14, the AP says Oct 19):

Sumptuous slipcased edition of Tolkien’s classic epic tale of adventure, fully illustrated in colour for the first time by the author himself. Limited to a worldwide first printing of just 5,000 copies, this deluxe volume is quarterbound in leather and includes many special features unique to this edition...

This one-volume deluxe slipcased edition contains the complete text, fully corrected and reset, which is printed in red and black and features, for the very first time, thirty colour illustrations, maps and sketches drawn by Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work. These include the pages from the Book of Mazarbul, marvellous facsimiles created by Tolkien to accompany the famous ‘Bridge of Khazad-dum’ chapter. Also appearing are two poster-size, fold-out maps revealing all the detail of Middle-earth.

This very special deluxe edition is quarterbound in cloth and red leather, with raised ribs on the spine and stamped in two foils. The pages are edged in gold and contained within are special features unique to this edition. It is limited to a worldwide first printing of just 5,000 copies.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-.../dp/0008471290

An upcoming edition of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy will include paintings, drawings and other illustrations by the British author for the first time since it was published in the mid-1950s.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media announced Thursday that the new version will come out Oct. 19. Deb Brody, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s vice president and publisher, noted that Tolkien was already known for his illustrations which appeared in “The Hobbit” and that his artwork for “The Lord of the Rings” had been exhibited in 2018 in New York, Paris and in Oxford, England.
    https://apnews.com/article/oxford-jr...256aa294eb8667

A bit out of my price range, but hopefully someone here can get one (and post photos for me!).

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

This one killed me.

I want to order one so bad but they wont ship to the US....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    This one killed me.

I want to order one so bad but they wont ship to the US....
    That may change as we approach October, especially since HarperCollins often releases (in the US) the same edition (or nearly so) as HRH. Since this is pretty limited, it's far from guaranteed, but something to watch for.

As for buying one from a UK source and shipping here, I don't know if Book Depository will have any of these, but they ship to the US, so that's another thing to watch for.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

HEADS UP PEOPLE:

There is a less-deluxe, non-slipcase edition being published simultaneously with the one above. Personally, I dig the white leather, and the page edges - ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0358653037

$75 US.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I believe no limitation on the $75 one (although I did panic-order it).

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ordered the second one, but the first is not available at this time. Put it on my "wish list". Thanks for the heads up, my friend!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very beautiful editions but I'm happy with my Deluxe slipcased set of all the Middle Earth books.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Very beautiful editions but I'm happy with my Deluxe slipcased set of all the Middle Earth books.
    So am I with my 8th edition UK editions!!!!

Spoiler:
    Sorry, felt the need to "Crow" a bit. LOL These are very nice, but I'm still chasing the older editions to the extent of my pocketbook!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast