Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sets of Brazilian HOME hardcovers will be released in November:

For the first time The History of Middle-earth it's being translated to portuguese and will start to be released in November of 2022 in Brazil. The volumes are coming in four box sets, the first box contains volumes 1 and 2, the second will come with volume 3 to 5, the third with volumes 6 to 9 and the last with volumes 10 to 12. Each book will have a dedicated index at the end. The books have hardcover with illustrations of John Howe on it.
    Pics are in the post in which I found this news:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules...forumpost42710

No word yet on whether a similar set would be done in English, which would be great (except that I sprang for the 3-volume hardcover set not too long ago and would feel like a chump replacing it so soon).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting article in the October Smithsonian Magazine about Tolkien and new book.

"HAUNTED BY THE APPROACH OF ANOTHER WORLD WAR, THE AUTHOR OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS CREATED A NEW STORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH THAT FEW PEOPLE EVEN KNEW ABOUT—UNTIL NOW"
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Interesting article in the October Smithsonian Magazine about Tolkien and new book.

"HAUNTED BY THE APPROACH OF ANOTHER WORLD WAR, THE AUTHOR OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS CREATED A NEW STORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH THAT FEW PEOPLE EVEN KNEW ABOUT—UNTIL NOW"
    Full article here.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Something older from my LOTR collection

The Lord of the Rings
    Limited Collectors Edition / Illustrated LPs
    Original Soundtrack Leonard Rosenman

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Lovely to see Frank.
    Very desirable and highly collectible.
    Congratulations.

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool LPs!
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I’ve been reading The Fall of Numenor, and I have to say I think it’s really worth getting and reading. It takes second age tales from a number of different sources, and assembles them into a chronological narrative. It even includes some snippets from the recently released nature of middle earth, and is annotated in many places by Tolkien’s own explanation from letters, etc.

So while, strictly speaking, there is “no new material”, I think there’s a lot of value in placing these works and explanations in context, chronologically.

Personally, too, while I have read The Lord of the Rings Appendices, the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-Earth, and the Letters, I did so over a stretch of *many* years. Piecing together the relevant second age passages and reading them all at the same time brings much clearer understanding.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Thanks for that well-thought breakdown above, HBJ. Good to hear as I was on the fence on even getting it. I definitely will now. Not related, but since I'm here- I did just order the Deluxe Silmarillion (to replace my old, Christopher Tolkien signed copy I just sold), and am hoping it doesn't have any of the problems that last years LotR's had. Anybody get this? Any issues?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I’ve been reading The Fall of Numenor, and I have to say I think it’s really worth getting and reading. It takes second age tales from a number of different sources, and assembles them into a chronological narrative. It even includes some snippets from the recently released nature of middle earth, and is annotated in many places by Tolkien’s own explanation from letters, etc.

So while, strictly speaking, there is “no new material”, I think there’s a lot of value in placing these works and explanations in context, chronologically.

Personally, too, while I have read The Lord of the Rings Appendices, the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-Earth, and the Letters, I did so over a stretch of *many* years. Piecing together the relevant second age passages and reading them all at the same time brings much clearer understanding.

HBJ
    Think I may take you up on that suggestion
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Thanks for that well-thought breakdown above, HBJ. Good to hear as I was on the fence on even getting it. I definitely will now. Not related, but since I'm here- I did just order the Deluxe Silmarillion (to replace my old, Christopher Tolkien signed copy I just sold), and am hoping it doesn't have any of the problems that last years LotR's had. Anybody get this? Any issues?
    Speaking of:

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I’ve been reading The Fall of Numenor, and I have to say I think it’s really worth getting and reading.

... snip ...

HBJ
    Think I may take you up on that suggestion
    I'm really enjoying it. I will say, too, that reading the HC trade edition is very nice indeed. It has the two-colour printing and heavier paper stock of the recent "illustrated" LotR, Sil and UT. Pretty classy.

Interestingly, the deluxe slipcased edition is less of an upgrade from the trade than usual, because the trade edition materials are so good. I think both editions may share the same page block, in fact. Less reason to get the deluxe? ... Maybe. Less reason to read it, certainly.

Spoiler:

The contents are pretty interesting. It's not just the previous works dropped unchanged into the new book at the appropriate place in the history. There's a fair bit of that, but some passages are assembled from different Tolkien sources by Sibley - always meticulously footnoted - and there are some short pieces of connective text written by Sibley based on material in letters etc. Wherever possible, Sibley has retained Tolkien's words unchanged, and he always distinguishes his own connective text using different font size and indenting.

So there are some definite editorial decisions being made, but Sibley is absolutely respecting the original material over all else, and meticulously documenting those decisions.

The one reservation I have about the work is that some of the passages contain material from sources written at very different points in time - and at different stages in the development of the broader mythology - within the same cohesive narrative. I do sometimes wonder if placing them side-by-side quite captures Tolkien's intent. Christopher Tolkien is sorely missed here.

Having said that, no one is more aware of the enormity of the shoes he's filling than Sibley himself. It's easy for me to Monday-morning quarterback; Sibley has the right attitude - and editorial deftness - for this kind of work.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Received the DELUXE SILMARILLION (that mae posted the video review for above), and it is really a gorgeous production. The paper seems a lot better than last years LOTR, and I can't find any issues at all. Very happy to add it to the collection.

More Tolkien-related releases next March/April, including 2 new deluxe editions!

The Battle of Maldon: Standard

The Batte of Maldon: Deluxe

The History of the Hobbit, Standard (reprint)

The History of the Hobbit, Deluxe

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the nicest Tolkien books i own...

J.R.R.Tolkiens Fantastische Welt
    illiustrated from 11 diff. artists

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23