Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Great. I missed the The Fall of Numenor. Will have to get.
    It’s coming in November, looks like I need to get it too, for my complete deluxe Middle Earth collection. I have The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, Tales from the Perilous Realm, Unfinished Tales, The Fall of Gondolin, Beren and Luthien. Am I missing any?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Looking at some of the videos, these slipcased illustrated editions aren't that great looking. I prefer the way the standard deluxe editions look.

Geez IDK, Mae. Looks pretty fucking slick to me. Think I may get me one of those bad boys!

https://www.bookdepository.com/Lord-.../9780008471293
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I think the Deluxe LotR Edition is very nice and worth having. There’s also a trade edition with the same content.

Unfortunately, the deluxe edition was plagued with manufacturing issues in many copies. The print run was increased at the last minute. I think HC went to a few different printers and binders for the extras, and the quality was not up to scratch. My copy is okay, but it’s a bit of a crap shoot.

Hopefully the Silmarillion won’t have those sort of problems, and HC will plan for a bigger print run from the start.

Both the Lord of the rings and the Silmarillion editions have illustrations by Tolkien himself. They also have two color printing throughout. Well worth having, in my opinion.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

It’s coming in November, looks like I need to get it too, for my complete deluxe Middle Earth collection. I have The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, Tales from the Perilous Realm, Unfinished Tales, The Fall of Gondolin, Beren and Luthien. Am I missing any?
    Mae, The Nature of Middle Earth was published last year.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Natur.../9780008440572

There is also a three volume deluxe slipcased edition of the history of middle earth.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Mae, The Nature of Middle Earth was published last year.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Natur.../9780008440572

There is also a three volume deluxe slipcased edition of the history of middle earth.

HBJ
    Yup, thanks! I should definitely pick that one up! Have you read Nature? I think I originally passed on it because it didn't seem like a needful thing, but reading up about it now and watching a video review, seems I really need it, as it sounds fascinating.

And I do have the three-volume History set, but the earlier non-deluxe dust-jacket edition, so it doesn't quite match the rest. Content-wise I don't think it's any different. And I believe even the binding is the same or similar.

On a related note, I'm surprised that Bilbo's Last Song has not been included in any of these ME deluxe editions.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

This search result might help...

Harper Collins, J.R.R. Tolkien, Deluxe Edition
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Yup, thanks! I should definitely pick that one up! Have you read Nature? I think I originally passed on it because it didn't seem like a needful thing, but reading up about it now and watching a video review, seems I really need it, as it sounds fascinating.
    I've only leafed through it; it's on my TBR. Contents are very similar in nature (ha ha) to The Peoples Of Middle Earth - various latter-day essays and notes by Tolkien on aspects of Middle Earth, in his attempt to unify the mythology of the older Silmarillion with the later Lord of the Rings.

And I do have the three-volume History set, but the earlier non-deluxe dust-jacket edition, so it doesn't quite match the rest. Content-wise I don't think it's any different. And I believe even the binding is the same or similar.
    I have both editions, and you're right - the contents are identical. The materials of the deluxe edition are slightly nicer than the older set, and it better matches the rest of the series, but it's definitely optional if you have the older set.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

For Amazon Prime Day, they had two promos where you could try the Amazon Photos app and upload one picture to get a $20 credit, plus there was a second promo to get an additional $10 when you completed four actions by streaming a movie and a song on Prime, and getting a free ebook from Prime Reading, just basically trying out all the things Prime offers. So all in all $30 and I ordered the deluxe Nature of Middle-earth for $43! Very excited

WOW, Mae! What a bargain. Nicely done.

Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on this question: if the goal were to obtain a JRRT signature (on anything, doesn't have to be a book) as cheaply as possible, what would the likely floor (cost) be, and what types of items (if not a book)?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Looking at some of the videos, these slipcased illustrated editions aren't that great looking. I prefer the way the standard deluxe editions look.

Geez IDK, Mae. Looks pretty fucking slick to me. Think I may get me one of those bad boys!

Just arrived and I have to say a rather nicely done edition indeed. Last thing I needed was yet another edition of LOTR but, I'm glad I took the plunge. Very slick and handsome edition.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Nice! Glad you got one, Bill.

(I’m also in the “don’t need another copy of lord of the rings” camp. But lately, HarperCollins have been releasing such nice editions, it’s hard to resist. I don’t really think of myself as a Tolkien collector, as such, but I seem to have acquired multiple copies of a number of his books.)

HBJ.

Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

I looked into the upcoming new deluxe edition of The Fall of Numenor and maybe I'm missing something but it seems to be a compilation of previous writings, no new writing actually included, so I think it's safe to skip if you have all the previous deluxe editions and History of ME.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I looked into the upcoming new deluxe edition of The Fall of Numenor and maybe I'm missing something but it seems to be a compilation of previous writings, no new writing actually included, so I think it's safe to skip if you have all the previous deluxe editions and History of ME.
    I think this is how the "Great Tales" ones (The Children of Turin, Beren and Luthien, and The Fall of Gondolin) were recently (relatively) put together: with the aim of making the closest thing possible to a single, coherent narrative (story) from HOME, Silmarillion, and LOTR appendices.

These "assemblages" may not hold value for those who kept up (or caught up) with the existing sources, but those like me (I'm ashamed to admit), who still haven't gotten around to reading The Silmarillion or HOME, may like to read the Great Tales 3 and The Fall of Numenor first (as I plan to).

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I think this is how the "Great Tales" ones (The Children of Turin, Beren and Luthien, and The Fall of Gondolin) were recently (relatively) put together: with the aim of making the closest thing possible to a single, coherent narrative (story) from HOME, Silmarillion, and LOTR appendices.

These "assemblages" may not hold value for those who kept up (or caught up) with the existing sources, but those like me (I'm ashamed to admit), who still haven't gotten around to reading The Silmarillion or HOME, may like to read the Great Tales 3 and The Fall of Numenor first (as I plan to).
    This. And, do try and get back to THE SILMARILLION. As a wise Junior in high school saw me struggling with it when I was a freshman said: "The first bit is a bit like reading the bible: 'So and So begat So and So....' Just get past that and this incredible world opens up that will suck you in, and move you at least as much- if not more- than The Lord of the Rings.". He was dead on. It's amazing once you get past the beginning matter. I always said that Peter Jackson should have followed up LOTR with THE SILMARILLION, not The Hobbit -I know GDT was supposed to do it initially, but still- I wish we could've had Jackson & Walsh's take on The First Age.

As someone who has read the Silmarillion, unfinished tales, and the history of middle earth, I still enjoy these assembled narratives for what they are. It is nice to experience the stories in a longer, more complete form, rather than in either the much abbreviated version in the Silmarillion, or the incomplete expanded versions in other sources.

I think The Children of Hurin was the most successful example of this, but the other two Great Tales were quite enjoyable as well. True, you could assemble this text yourself from the various sources, but I find value in having them assembled in one volume with accompanying commentary.

I’m looking forward to the Fall of Numenor, as I’m hoping it will have more than just the material in the Silmarillion and unfinished tales. There are some tangential tales from the history of middle earth, but I’m hoping there may be some more genuine second age material that has yet to be revealed.

Needless to say, it’s a great shame that Christopher Tolkien himself could not have edited it. While I do welcome these new volumes of curated material, I think his loss will be acutely felt while reading them.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just arrived and I have to say a rather nicely done edition indeed. Last thing I needed was yet another edition of LOTR but, I'm glad I took the plunge. Very slick and handsome edition.
    From the video, I love the golden eges and the decorated other edges !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    As someone who has read the Silmarillion, unfinished tales, and the history of middle earth, I still enjoy these assembled narratives for what they are. It is nice to experience the stories in a longer, more complete form, rather than in either the much abbreviated version in the Silmarillion, or the incomplete expanded versions in other sources.

I think The Children of Hurin was the most successful example of this, but the other two Great Tales were quite enjoyable as well. True, you could assemble this text yourself from the various sources, but I find value in having them assembled in one volume with accompanying commentary.

I’m looking forward to the Fall of Numenor, as I’m hoping it will have more than just the material in the Silmarillion and unfinished tales. There are some tangential tales from the history of middle earth, but I’m hoping there may be some more genuine second age material that has yet to be revealed.

Needless to say, it’s a great shame that Christopher Tolkien himself could not have edited it. While I do welcome these new volumes of curated material, I think his loss will be acutely felt while reading them.

HBJ
    What I meant was that these previous books all had expanded material that was previously unpublished, even if it covered the same stories and ideas. The Fall of Numenor sounds like it won't have anything exclusive, unless I'm reading the press release wrong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    ...do try and get back to THE SILMARILLION.
    I'm definitely going to at some point; I own that, as well as HOME and The Nature of Middle-earth, and I'll eventually hit it all.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...these previous books all had expanded material that was previously unpublished...
    That I did not know (good to know).

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Are we expecting a new deluxe edition of The Hobbit next year in the same slipcase format as the upcoming Silmarillion release and LOTR deluxe from 2021?

Thanks

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Probably of limited interest, but what the Hobbit:

https://wbshop.com/collections/books...ersary-edition
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

If you are looking for something small for your Tolkien collection, in an older UK fairy tale stamp series was a Tolkien stamp.

Fairy Tale stamps

Tolkien stamp

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast