Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what others might value that book, but it seems to be a reading copy to me.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    That's a bit of a rough copy, Shac. Bear in mind, I am no expert, but it looks to be a 33rd U.S. edition. I have an 8th edition that went for north of $800. Are there maps included? I do have a link to a very cool dealer that can help steer you in the right direction. He was very helpful and informative with me. I would recommend you run it buy him and maybe have a look at what he has to offer. Great transactions with this gentleman. Hope this helps you out a bit.

http://www.tolkienbookshelf.com/

Good luck!!!!
    Thanks bill I'll give it a shot

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Canadian Lord of the Rings, 1977. These came with a slipcase, which I don't have. I like the covers on these.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I like them too.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux will become famous soon enough mkb.redux's Avatar

Another "found" scenario to dream on:
    http://www.tor.com/2015/10/23/map-of...are-book-shop/

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

So does anyone know how to tell editions on Tolkien? I just passed up a set of 2nd edition books (gold orange and purple) becausebecause I could not confirm them. Did they make a BCE edition of those in the slipcase? These had no price on the DJ and the map in the back was attached to the boards rather than their own page like I've seen. FoTR was a 12th printing and CP page looked good but there was also a 13th printing there that had a $9.95 price and the map on its own page.
    Any info would be great!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered this set from the Tolkien Bookshelf about 5 years ago. The maps are all on a page in the back, not on the boards.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I ordered this set from the Tolkien Bookshelf about 5 years ago. The maps are all on a page in the back, not on the boards.

Thanks for the information. The jackets weirded me out and I agree with your description that they were BC Jackets but I was sure the books were actual books due to the Copyright Page, but then the maps... I should have picked it up. It was a 12/11/11 as well and only $45 but I couldn't bring myself to throw money at something I wasn't 100% on. Hell maybe the set that was 12/11/11 was a one off that didn't have prices originally who knows, you could have something rare in itself. Maybe Bruce or Bill might have additional info from their findings?

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

For anyone interested this is what I received from David at Tolkien Bookshelf.
    It sounds like you have figured out the differences already. There was indeed a Book Club Set of the Lord of the Rings that was published concurrently with the 2nd US Trade Edition. Usually the Book Club Editions are not quite as nice or are made with lower quality paper, but these are virtually identical to the trade editions. The only difference is no price on the dustjackets, a small blind stamp on the back boards (lower corner), and the slipcases seem to be covered with a duller paper, doesn't shine quite as much and may have a tendency to fade a bit more. Also as you noted, the maps are placed differently, but I have seen some that were placed the same as the trade editions. It is not too unusual to find sets that may be mixed, as there were so many printed, and with people replacing lost or damaged copies, invariably there was some mixing and matching involved. So if you are looking for a nice set, I've found that the Book Club Edition may be found at a lower price, without giving up very much at all, comparatively speaking. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.
    Very good information if you are planning on buying a set.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tolkien's annotated map of Middle-earth discovered inside copy of Lord of the Rings
    >>> http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...ings?CMP=fb_gu
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Picked this up at a Friends of the Library book sale recently ($5). Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit Ballantine Second Edition paperbacks box set (gold foil), issued between 1973 and 1983. All are printings from Feb. 1977. FotR, TTT and RofK are NF condition, The Hobbit is VG. The slipcase is a little dinged, but not in terrible shape.

These are great because these are the first paperbacks to feature Tolkien's own cover art (Barbara Remington did the covers for the Ballantine First Edition paperbacks). Tolkien also did the Heraldic symbols that appear on the slipcase of this box set (Elwe, Luthien Tinuviel, Finwe, Feanor, Idril Celebrindal, and Earendil). There is also a symbol called "Numenorean Title" that appears at the top of the slipcase.

Really excited to picked this up (it appears this thing is worth ~ $50). I now have the first three Lord of the Rings Ballantine paperback editions, most in NF condition. I don't think I'll be picking up any of the other (later) Ballantine editions. I don't care for the covers of those (and my overall paperback collection generally ends around the mid-80's).

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

These were the editions that I first read. Brought FELLOWSHIP on a driving tour of the Northeast and the Maritime Provinces with my family in the Summer of 1976; I recall almost nothing of the trip other than the book. Almost 40 years now, and still one of the signature events of my life.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very nice!

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Got this a little while ago:

The crown jewel of my collection so far. The Hobbit is what got me into the book collecting game, and Alan Lee has been a favourite artist of mine for many years. His art adorned the covers of my first copies of The Lord of the Rings in paperback form.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I grabbed a couple unique pieces for my Tolkien collection recently. First up is a print with a remarque of Smaug from the graphic novel of the Hobbit, illustrated by David Wenzel.

Second up is an original water colour of Thorin from David Wenzel.

I also picked up a smattering of Tolkien 1st editions here and there. I upgraded my Children of Hurin to a 1st edition, picked up a first edition of the film tie-in printing of the Hobbit along with 1st of Beowulf and Smith of Wootton Major.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are AWESOME!!!! so jealous!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ditto!!!! Wonderful additions, Theli!!! Color me green with envy as well!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Tolkien's annotated map of Middle-earth discovered inside copy of Lord of the Rings
    >>> http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...ings?CMP=fb_gu
    I hadn't heard this- thanks so much for posting here. Fascinating. I love when stuff like this turns up- there are still undiscovered literary treasures out there in peoples attics and closets and desk drawers.

Ron

Country
    Country Flag

Great stuff, Theli! LOVE the Alan Lee Hobbit and Wenzel remarques!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Got this in the mail recently, a remarqued copy of the deluxe edition of Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur:

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Got this in the mail recently, a remarqued copy of the deluxe edition of Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur:

Man I wanna meet your contacts for Tolkien! So jealous

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

No contacts for me, just the internet! Hahaha

But thanks! I'm proud of my growing Tolkien collection.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    No contacts for me, just the internet! Hahaha

But thanks! I'm proud of my growing Tolkien collection.
    Are you on ebay only or do you scoure other sources

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast