Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

I'm not sure if there are many fans of Mr. Tolkien here, but aside from Stephen King, he is one of my All-Time favorite Authors!!!!! I like a few other authors as well, but few can be said to have defined a Genre and a generation the way that Tolkien did.

I make it a yearly ritual to re-read the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit each and every year. I wish I could afford to do better, but I have a few fine collectible editions to share with all of you. If, you are so inclined:

My LOTR, 2nd Edition Books and Display Case (Made by Dolso)

My 8th Overall Impression of "The Hobbit"

And a commerative "The Hobbit" Edition

I have more and will post pics if anyone is interested

Thanks for looking!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Silmarillon", First US Edition

"Bilbo's Last Song", First UK Edition

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are some great books. Post some more photos if you have more to share.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fifty Years Commerative Edition of, "The Hobbit"

Another Commerotive "The Hobbit" Gift Edition, in slipcase

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For what it's worth, I have commissioned another display case for my very old and valuable "The Hobbit" from our own "Dolso" who made the LOTR display case. He does just amazing work!!!!!!! It is "worlds" better to be able to admire your collectible books from a display case, than stick them on a shelf, IMHO.

Keep watching this thread for more items!!!!!

Thx for looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great books Merlin! Here is my meager Tolkien collection which involves books you have as well but I figured I would post them anyway. Enjoy

Sorry for the flash but I couldn't get the light right and I'm getting tired and grumpy!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

"I'm not sure if there are many fans of Mr. Tolkien here, but aside from Stephen King, he is one of my All-Time favorite Authors!!!!! I like a few other authors as well, but few can said to have defined a Genre and a generation the way that Tolkien did."

Merlin- I couldn't agree with you more in regards to Tolkien. Reading The Hobbit early on in life shaped my reading habits at a young age and made me the SK fan I am today.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said, Ben!!!!! He's a keeper (so to speak) Great stuff you got there. I have all of those editions. I want them for my Grand Children!!!!!! Tolkien, should be "passed on" don't you think?

A Classic, all the way around!!!!!

Thx for posting here!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tolkien is always a good read. Wonderful collection (and cases!), Merlin!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I first read the Lord of the Rings trilogy back in the early '60s when there were "dueling" paperback printings being done, by Ace and by Ballantine. I bought the Ace books (which, it turned out, were the unauthorized editions) because they were cheaper than the Ballantine ones. I literally read those books to pieces.

John

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you ever seen these copies of the books from The Folio Society? - http://www.foliosociety.com/book/BZA...ngs-and-hobbit

You can get them all for 19.95 if you join for 1 year and agree to buy a few more books. They look kinda nice.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Have you ever seen these copies of the books from The Folio Society? - http://www.foliosociety.com/book/BZA...ngs-and-hobbit

You can get them all for 19.95 if you join for 1 year and agree to buy a few more books. They look kinda nice.
    They look nice however does anyone have any comments on this place? Do you get the intro books after you buy their other books, what is the quality of the books, is there any actual value from this publisher? Don't know so I'm just asking.

By the way thanks Eric!
    Last edited by Ben Staad; 02-25-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Additonal Info

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it only me that can't see the pics hosted at imagehack?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

The Folio books are really nice. I like the unique cover designs/materials. I've been a member before (to get the Tolkien deal), and was very happy with the membership & books. You get the introductory books right away, and agree to purchase 5 or 6 other books from them (at around $40- $60 each) over the next year. Then you are done. The best way to see if it would work out for you is to look through the whole online available books catalog and see if you can find 5 or 6 books in there that you would be interested in. If so (and you should- there are always a few good horror titles in there), then I say go for it.

Ron

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Is it only me that can't see the pics hosted at imagehack?
    I can see them.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post

There is a set of all five books from the Folio Society (adds The Silmarillion) on ABE right now for $225. I'm not sure how much you would spend over the length of the membership agreement but if you just wanted the Tolkein books that might be the way to go rather than join. They recently did an edition of DRACULA that I wanted but bought on eBay rather than joining.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...%3D83%26y%3D15

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Yeah- I bought that Folio Dracula on Ebay as well. Nice edition! Folio's are generally really cool books. I don't know how collectible- in terms of value- they are, but they are unique, well designed & crafted.

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Some beautiful books on show in this thread! As it was for many other people, it was reading Tolkien in my early teens that shaped my reading tastes. My LOTR are the UK 2nd edition 6th impression. Fold out maps at the back of each book.

My Hobbit is the UK 12th impression.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    The Folio books are really nice. I like the unique cover designs/materials. I've been a member before (to get the Tolkien deal), and was very happy with the membership & books. You get the introductory books right away, and agree to purchase 5 or 6 other books from them (at around $40- $60 each) over the next year. Then you are done. The best way to see if it would work out for you is to look through the whole online available books catalog and see if you can find 5 or 6 books in there that you would be interested in. If so (and you should- there are always a few good horror titles in there), then I say go for it.

Ron
    Thanks for the info. The books look cool and I will definitely think about signing up.....although from my wife's stare I may not be signing up anytime soon (at least until she is out of the room).

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Clacke View Post
    Some beautiful books on show in this thread! As it was for many other people, it was reading Tolkien in my early teens that shaped my reading tastes. My LOTR are the UK 2nd edition 6th impression. Fold out maps at the back of each book.

My Hobbit is the UK 12th impression.

Wonderful set of books I am jealous.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is my daughter with her copy of the Hobbit..She has literally read this copy five times in the last couple of years.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe one of you Tolkien collectors can tell me something about this set I bought about 6 years ago on eBay. The three books were published in 1962 and came in a slipcase that housed all three. FELLOWSHIP is a 12th printing and the other two are both 9th printings. The slipcase has seen better days but did a good job of protecting the books. The dust jackets are darkened on the spines but pretty good elsewhere (price-clipped, though). The books themselves are fine and maps are present.

Is this set worth anything? Guesses?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Probably worth around $200-$400 depending on overall condition. If you want to PM me I can give you the e-mail for a very reliable dealer that would be better suited to a price quote.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Carlos-

There are a few sets of these on abebooks right now (unless any of these are yours) and they are asking for between $490 and $1200. I'm not sure if there selling but that's what is being asked.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely love the stories, but am by no means an expert on collecting them. I have 2 or 3 dealers I trust and use for advice on editions. One thing I can tell you is that if you think King collecting is complicated, its virtually nothing compared to Tolkien!!!! Did you know that LOTR is second in book sales to only the Holy Bible????

It's a good idea to get an expert involved before making a purchase or sale. There are just so many intricacies involving the publishers and impressions.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast