Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien, A Master!!!!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Mine came dinged too. I just figure it's the cost of buying from UK. I would worry the replacement might not be a 1st print, so I'm just letting it go.
    The "cardboard" they shipped it in isn't much good. I think it might have been shipped already dinged though since the box doesn't appear damaged in that area. I'll wait to return this one until the new one show up. I'll keep the best slipcase and the first print book.
    BTW - I usually buy through Book Depository so shipping is free.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Mine came dinged too. I just figure it's the cost of buying from UK. I would worry the replacement might not be a 1st print, so I'm just letting it go.
    The "cardboard" they shipped it in isn't much good. I think it might have been shipped already dinged though since the box doesn't appear damaged in that area. I'll wait to return this one until the new one show up. I'll keep the best slipcase and the first print book.
    I also bought mine through Book Depository and it came undamaged. Their packaging is pretty bad, but books do sometimes survive it.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I also bought mine through Book Depository and it came undamaged. Their packaging is pretty bad, but books do sometimes survive it.

HBJ
    That's a good idea. I've bought from them before. I just followed your link to Amazon to see what it was. I liked it, so I bought it without any consideration of potentially having to return a damaged book.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

HBJ
    That's a good idea. I've bought from them before. I just followed your link to Amazon to see what it was. I liked it, so I bought it without any consideration of potentially having to return a damaged book.
    Oh, sorry about that. I provided the link to amazon as a way to see some good images of the book, as Book Depository only had one image. I didn't mean to implicitly endorse amazon.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone here own any of the older 1-15 Us/UK editions of LOTR/Hobbit?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    Oh, sorry about that. I provided the link to amazon as a way to see some good images of the book, as Book Depository only had one image. I didn't mean to implicitly endorse amazon.

HBJ
    It's fine. I don't blame you. I'm just sharing my thought process. You even mentioned it was available from "the usual suspects." I'll be sure to check Book Depository availability in the future.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    What do you mean 1-15? I have the original History of Middle Earth set that is 1-12

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    What do you mean 1-15? I have the original History of Middle Earth set that is 1-12
    "1-15 US/UK Editions"

Further back you go, the more the dough (lol) and the more the rare. Sorry, if I was confusing in my post.

I have an 8th of "The Hobbit" UK VF edition and a couple of 13 & 15 UK/US LOTR Editions in varying condition states. One 15th in VF condition.

I was just curious if anyone else has delved into these editions for their collections. They are particularly difficult to find, identify and afford. Hell, you almost need to take a course in the various publishers, editions and printings. lol

I’m intrigued by the early editions - particularly the U.K. ones - but haven’t bought any.

For some reason I’m more interested in the recent editions of LOTR and The Hobbit that have corrected the textual errors of early editions. I think that’s because my appreciation of Tolkien’s work originates so much from reading the History of Middle Earth.

I try to get first editions - and first printings - of the recent books just because it’s relatively easy and inexpensive to do so. But I haven’t felt compelled to go back to early printings of the early work.

Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Good evening Bill.

I have been very fortunate to find a 1st US Hobbit in exceptional condition, Simon should be posting images soon. Further to this I have a 1st UK Hobbit which has been rebound by Sangorski and Sutcliffe, the same bindery that Paul has used for his Roman Numeral Edition and a signed 12th UK.

In The Lord of the Rings there is a triple signed Deluxe Edition from 1963 (posted on my thread) and a triple signed 2nd Edition also on my thread. A triple signed (with accompanying letter) 8/8/9th yet to be posted. All the Lord of the Rings are UK.

As you may know Tolkien is now my new area of collecting, my King collection being for sale.

Hope all is well.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have US LOTR 1965 2nds 12/11/11 in VF. I bought those because they are about the right time and look like the ones I remember checking out from the library and reading when I was a kid. Bought the cover matching paperbacks in high school, some of the few paperbacks I've kept. Have some other stuff from around then - took a couple of Tolkien classes in college. But like most everybody I just have 1sts of the recent stuff - History of Middle Earth etc. Really need to organize the Tolkien stuff.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

On a related note, the LOTR paperbacks I have - my reading copies - are Unwin paperbacks from the early 70’s with gorgeous wraparound art. They are the same editions as those I pulled down from my father’s shelves and read as a teenager.

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am planning to go and see the Tolkien exhibition in Paris, but I thought that maybe some of you would be interested to know there is a catalog
    It seems to be in french though

Excerpt > http://editions.bnf.fr/extrait-tolkien
    Details > http://editions.bnf.fr/tolkien
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Along the Path of the Beam The_Antiquarian has a spectacular aura about The_Antiquarian has a spectacular aura about The_Antiquarian has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Good evening Bill.

I have been very fortunate to find a 1st US Hobbit in exceptional condition, Simon should be posting images soon. Further to this I have a 1st UK Hobbit which has been rebound by Sangorski and Sutcliffe, the same bindery that Paul has used for his Roman Numeral Edition and a signed 12th UK.

In The Lord of the Rings there is a triple signed Deluxe Edition from 1963 (posted on my thread) and a triple signed 2nd Edition also on my thread. A triple signed (with accompanying letter) 8/8/9th yet to be posted. All the Lord of the Rings are UK.

As you may know Tolkien is now my new area of collecting, my King collection being for sale.

Hope all is well.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.
    I was about to say you probably have the most complete and comprehensive Tolkien collection here, but you "beat me" to it! It is amazing how your Tolkien collection already holds several of the most sought after books and manuscripts. Sangorski and Sutcliffe has been defunct for many years now. May I ask if your book is the very one that was sold on Christie's with Arkenstone as motif with variety of rare stones used? I thought the rebinding was so stunning that I used it as my iPhone screen for almost a year!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The_Antiquarian View Post
    Sangorski and Sutcliffe has been defunct for many years now.
    From Biblio...

"In 1988, both Sangorski & Sutcliffe and Zaehnsdorf bindery were bought by Asprey trading, merged, and rebranded as SSZ Limited. Shepards bookbinding purchased SSZ Limited and revived the individual bookbinding brands with their former names. They continue to craft fine bindings as well as restoration and conservation work, and are members of the ABAA and ABA."

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

They are not defunct.

But are they denoised?

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Along the Path of the Beam The_Antiquarian has a spectacular aura about The_Antiquarian has a spectacular aura about The_Antiquarian has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    They are not defunct.
    Ahh you are right! I see that the firm has been revived by its parent company! Thanks for the correction.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The_Antiquarian View Post
    They are not defunct.
    Ahh you are right! I see that the firm has been revived by its parent company! Thanks for the correction.
    No problem. I visited them earlier this year. They have such a rich history dating back to 1901.

No problem. I visited them earlier this year. They have such a rich history dating back to 1901.
    What an experience! I only saw old rebindings, but haven't seen their latest works. I did see an amazing Asprey binding of Silmarillion that was sold on Christie's, but that is pretty much it.
    Hopefully Alec will share his rebound Hobbit soon with all of us!

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Both my signed Hobbit and the Sangorski and Sutcliffe rebound are on my collection thread: Post 718.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Both my signed Hobbit and the Sangorski and Sutcliffe rebound are on my collection thread: Post 718.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.
    Yes I have seen them! The rebinding is stunning while preserving the original aesthetics of the original cover! I also hope that my email reached you well

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good evening Bill.

Hope all is well.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.
    Ahhh, impressive indeed. Puts mine to shame for sure. lol Love to see some detailed pics, my friend should you feel inclined to share. I deleted my collection thread and all associated pics some month's ago, but you should inquire with, Dick Olson (DOLSO) regarding some wooden cases for your LOTR and Hobbit. I had two cases custom made. One to display the 3 volumes of LOTR and a separate one, similar in design, for "The Hobbit". They weren't overly expensive and beside's being extremely handsome on their own, display the books very nicely. They can either display on a table top or hang on the wall. A nice touch was that he distressed the cases such that they looked older than the books!!!! He is retired from the case building now, but I might be able to make a case (see what I did there? lol) for a brief return to the shop on your behalf if you should be interested. PM me if you'd like to explore the notion.

Lurker, those sound really nice as well!! They are all very hard to come by and pricey indeed!!! I'd love to see pics of your editions as well, if you are so inclined, good sir!!!

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All the stamping, topstain, maps etc in excellent condition.
    And that would be "ma'am."

Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very nice indeed, M'am!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast