Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The collectible Tim Powers

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Speaking of a Charnel House lettered The Stress of Her Regard, copy "J" is on eBay, item number 184037904495.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this auction - the lettered Tim Powers Charnel House books don't come up in the wild very often...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Stress-...UAAOSw4tVd9w6g

Quick! Offer $100 and snag this deal. There's also another copy with a $120 BIN but I personally prefer this one because slipcase is darker (they're all unique).

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Friends and Powers collectors, tis a good day indeed; Subterranean Press just this morning announced a new Anubis Gates limited edition. The lettered is $500 and at this specific moment in time 0833 EST, it's still available. You know it's going to be a good one with that price tag. The numbered is somehow only $75. Yes, it's slipcased and has illustrations too.

Additionally, Forced Perspectives is available for pre-order from Charnel House. It seems like someone's talked to Stefko because this edition has interior illustrations by Powers himself.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

It seems to be a sequel(?) novella to Anubis Gates, and the lettered is pre-order locked to ownership of Nobody's Home, another novella related to Anubis Gates. I'm not really a fan of $500 lettereds for novellas, but it's Powers, so what are you gonna do. When this comes out methinks it might be time for a re-read.

Country
    Country Flag

I ordered the lettered because apparently I'm blind and didn't see that I had to own the Nobody's Home lettered to qualify. I emailed SP with an apology and said they can refund me and I'll toe the line with the rest when the pre-orders open to public.

I'm glad to see Palumbo get more work. His paintings for the Centipede edition of The Anubis Gates and CD 'Salem's Lot were absolutely stellar.

Are you getting the Charnel House edition of Forced Perspectives?

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I already have my Charnel House edition - ready and waiting - I did get the past few from Camelot - so I will wait...but I did order my numbered novella from Subpress today too
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Country
    Country Flag

Man ... what? Haha.

I picked up a Powers lettered for $91 shipped on eBay today. It was The Drawing of the Dark from Hypatia. I threw a quick bid thinking there was no way I'd win, and then drove to work. I had the Please Pay Now email when I checked my email at work. I'm pretty happy with the price.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Are you getting the Charnel House edition of Forced Perspectives?
    I haven't kept up with the numbereds from Charnel House; I only have Last Call. For the lettered, hmmm, I guess not. When Alternate Routes was announced I was missing 3 CH lettereds, and since I was not a fan of the AR design combined with its price tag, I thought I might as well make it 4. I guess it'll become 5 now.

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    I already have my Charnel House edition - ready and waiting - I did get the past few from Camelot - so I will wait...but I did order my numbered novella from Subpress today too
    Wait what, really? As in the book physically already exists? That's amazing! I love these "announcing a book but it's actually already ready to ship" things.

I picked up a Powers lettered for $91 shipped on eBay today. It was The Drawing of the Dark from Hypatia. I threw a quick bid thinking there was no way I'd win, and then drove to work. I had the Please Pay Now email when I checked my email at work. I'm pretty happy with the price.
    That is a FANTASTIC deal, congratulations! I don't have one myself; they don't come up often at all.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sorry - I have it on order from Camelot - once it becomes available - I do not have it on hand. My last orders were from Camelot...hence my ready and waiting comment
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Country
    Country Flag

Quick question, does Where They Are Hid have an actual limitation/signature page?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tim-Powers-...cAAOSwTRZePLKg

I'm not sure if the signature under the drawing in the second picture is also the signature page and the books aren't numbered, or if the signature page is in the back.

Country
    Country Flag

Update: the seller didn't know the signature page was in the back. The listing is *cough* no longer available.

At first I read that as the seller immediately delisted it upon realization, but on second thought, it seems you got it. Congrats!

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At first I read that as the seller immediately delisted it upon realization, but on second thought, it seems you got it. Congrats!
    I hope this is the case! Good grab

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Indeed it is. Now I'm hoping the seller has sent books properly before.

I'm slowly crossing the Charnel House Powers limiteds off the list. I saved the best/financially worst for last.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Indeed it is. Now I'm hoping the seller has sent books properly before.

I'm slowly crossing the Charnel House Powers limiteds off the list. I saved the best/financially worst for last.

I think that the prettiest Charnel House books are the Tim Powers books, and I think the prettiest Tim Powers books are the Charnel House editions (with the exception of the utterly fabulous Centipede Press Anubis Gates), and I wish you the best of luck!

I'm sure you've seen all this, but Camelot has a few nicely priced ones (Appointment on Sunset, especially) and they have the only numbered Hide Me Among The Graves that I've seen out in the wild in a long time, though it's pricey at $1000. I think it's also the rarest CH Powers numbered though, or at least one I haven't seen very many times. The other is Deliver Us From Evil, and after not seeing any for years, there's been one on eBay for awhile. Of course it's been there for awhile because it's several hundred dollars overpriced (or maybe less these days, I truly haven't seen any others available in years).

FWIW my favorite Charnel House numbered Tim Powers books are Hide Me Among The Graves, Appointment on Sunset (the toe tag was a really neat idea), and then either Collected Stories or The Stress of Her Regard. Actually I think The Stress of Her Regard wins just because it was his first book and he dyed the denim himself in his bathtub

Can't wait to hear as you collect more of them!

Country
    Country Flag

I waited too long to pull the trigger on Collected Stories so here I am, in this bleak Collected Stories-less existence, checking eBay no less (fewer?) times a day for new Powers listings in hopes of finding one.

I'll be swinging by my PO box across the border next month. I should be picking up three Powers books and then I'll do a proper collection update. I don't think I've posted the flagship of the collection yet. It's not exactly the pinnacle of book architecture but it is rather scarce and also nice to look at. I'm not being secretive at all, there's no big reveal - it's the Fault Lines lettered set.

Country
    Country Flag

Btw subpress has preorder up today for their newest dark fantasy vol 3 - included is a separate signed HC book from powers:

The limited edition of this superb anthology comes with a very special signed bonus hardcover: Always Going On by Tim Powers. A 14,000 word autobiographical essay of immense charm, it offers a highly personal glimpse into the mind, memories, and personal esthetics of one of modern fantasy’s most durable—and original—artists. Always Going On is both a gift to Powers’ many readers, and an invaluable supplement to an extraordinary body of work.

Limited: 250 signed numbered copies, in slipcase, with exclusive Tim Powers volume, Always Going On

https://subterraneanpress.com/tales-of-dark-fantasy-3
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I read your PM through my email. Thanks for the heads up.

Country
    Country Flag

Are there any signing events coming up for Forced Perspectives? A quick search came up empty and there's nothing on Power's Facebook.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if these books have always been available on the Charnel House site (I don't think so!), or if the new setup just lends itself better to seeing what's in stock, but the following editions are available directly from Charnel House right now:

A Time to Cast Away Stones - Lettered - $1250
    A Time to Cast Away Stones - Numbered - $300
    Deliver Us From Evil - Numbered - $600 (this one definitely wasn't!)
    Where They Are Hid - Numbered - $500 (also definitely not)

There are also some older books that I do remember have been up for awhile, like the numbered and lettered Poems, and the numbered Appointment on Sunset (which has always been one of the best deals at $150, even though it's a tiny book).

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

This seems like a "good" price to me on this elusive tome. If I didn't already have it, I would've bit. In case anyone's after it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tim-Powers-...8f8c%7Ciid%3A8

Country
    Country Flag

I've compiled a list of as-of-yet uncollected stories Powers has published since the last collection:

Artificial Light (Charnel House)
    More Walls Broken (Subterranean Press)
    My Name Was Tom (Fantasy & Science Fiction September/October 2020 issue)
    The Governor (The Book of Magic, Gardner Dozois, ed.)
    After Many a Summer (Subterranean Press)
    Last edited by WeDealInLead; 05-13-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I just read After Many a Summer. It's a good story. It's actually a very good supernatural story that is undeniably Powers. You want to give Powers a try? Spend the $5 on the ebook. You could do worse.

The thing though is that it's not a great Powers story. The protagonist and the setting are indistinguishable from the protagonosit and the setting from the last five Powers novellas. It's just some guy who's down on his luck, there's a lot of driving on California highways, there's a damsel in distress, and of course, there's a ghost in it. Or at least something supernatural.

I just (two days ago) sold the Charnel House Vickery and Castine trilogy. There was a guy down on his luck doing lots of driving on the California highways. Of course there were ghosts.

I'm not cynical, I swear. I just as a longtime fan wish he'd mix it up a little. See: Hide Me Among the Graves, The Anubis Gates, Last Call. The early SF books were cool in their own way too.

Like I said, it's a very good story that's just a little familiar for a regular Powers reader.
    Last edited by WeDealInLead; 09-07-2023 at 09:46 AM.

Country
    Country Flag

I can't find any info on signings for My Brother's Keeper. Forbidden Planet has copies with signed bookplates but that's a hard pass for me.

I noticed the Charnel House edition of the book has illustrations. I wonder if Stefko has been lurking this thread and did it to shut up some loudmouth from Canaduh, eh?

Edit: I see there's a ghost in this book too. 🤪

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast