Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The collectible Tim Powers

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah - the last few Powers books from Charnel have been a bit underwhelming from the production side - but damn I still keep buying them…
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Yeah - the last few Powers books from Charnel have been a bit underwhelming from the production side - but damn I still keep buying them…
    Yes, I am with you both- Stefko has been slipping lately. I was really underwhelmed with the production on Short Stories. Although nice materials, it just felt uninspiring. And for the prices he's charging the last few years? I finally bowed out with both "Poems" and Alternate Routes, and not regretting it one bit. Centipede will get more of my $ now.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Poems is a neat little book. It looks classy and timeless but I still couldn't help but think, That's it? when I opened the package.

The only reason I can maaaybe justify the $150 pricetag is that it's all brand new writing that will never appear elsewhere. Maybe Powers asked for more $.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

There is a lettered Last Call on eBay now. And speaking of lettereds, does anyone have a copy of the lettered Alternate Routes? I was going to get it, but I have to say, the etch-a-sketch design really puts me off. I wonder if anyone has any better pictures of the actual physical book around... I wouldn't even consider it otherwise, but if it's the first book of a trilogy, skipping this will mean skipping the others (which would probably be good for me at this price range)

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone own the ultramarine lettered on stranger tides? Any thoughts on how they hold up (I know the paper quality sucked) and an idea on worth/value?
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone own the ultramarine lettered on stranger tides? Any thoughts on how they hold up (I know the paper quality sucked) and an idea on worth/value?
    I have the limited edition and I know they used the same text block as the ACE paperback. The binding is very nice. My Queen of the Damned Lettered is lovely.

Powers commented on the edition: "…simply a fancy cover attached to the humble, acidic Ace pages! The editor told me 'That binding will be in libraries two hundred years from now!' — and I said, 'Yes, and between the covers will be three tablespoons of brown powder.'"

Yikes!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Country
    Country Flag

yeah - not so sure about that one...but I should have another Powers book to mention in a couple of days
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    There is a lettered Last Call on eBay now. And speaking of lettereds, does anyone have a copy of the lettered Alternate Routes? I was going to get it, but I have to say, the etch-a-sketch design really puts me off. I wonder if anyone has any better pictures of the actual physical book around... I wouldn't even consider it otherwise, but if it's the first book of a trilogy, skipping this will mean skipping the others (which would probably be good for me at this price range)
    I saw this auction. The final price actually seemed about right for a damaged book ($5k). The bumped corner was not so bad but the fingernail gauge on the cover next to the tarot card is a killer. But this book is just so rare and hard to find and is also fucking beautiful and well thought out and superbly crafted... (forgive my "french" but this book is almost unmatched in its glory and worth the superlative)

Regarding the lettered Alternate Routes - it's exactly what it looks like. It's a stubby Etch-A-Sketch embedded in the front board. No more, no less...

The fact that it's a trilogy does make it harder because the good Charnel House Powers books are really good. I'll grant that Alternate Routes and Poems were not masterpieces, but Appointment On Sunset was a beauty - one of my favorites - and The Collected Stories was also really well done!

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Regarding the lettered Alternate Routes - it's exactly what it looks like. It's a stubby Etch-A-Sketch embedded in the front board. No more, no less...

The fact that it's a trilogy does make it harder because the good Charnel House Powers books are really good. I'll grant that Alternate Routes and Poems were not masterpieces, but Appointment On Sunset was a beauty - one of my favorites - and The Collected Stories was also really well done!
    Ah, fair enough, thank you! I was afraid of that. I think at the price I will have to skip, then. The reason I asked is because I also found the Collected Stories to be underwhelming when it was announced, but when I received the book I actually really liked it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I saw this auction. The final price actually seemed about right for a damaged book ($5k). The bumped corner was not so bad but the fingernail gauge on the cover next to the tarot card is a killer. But this book is just so rare and hard to find and is also fucking beautiful and well thought out and superbly crafted... (forgive my "french" but this book is almost unmatched in its glory and worth the superlative)

At the price - and no other bidders - I could not pass it up. Who knows if I will see it again pop up (and never at that price - I will live with the imperfections). And I was okay with the fingernail mark - but will see once its in my hands - it is sitting at the post ready for me to p/u (got text alert today) - possible tomorrow or the next day. My postal guy will drop off if I sign and leave a slip - but I will wait and goto post office for this one. Will post pics once I have it
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At the price - and no other bidders - I could not pass it up. Who knows if I will see it again pop up (and never at that price - I will live with the imperfections). And I was okay with the fingernail mark - but will see once its in my hands - it is sitting at the post ready for me to p/u (got text alert today) - possible tomorrow or the next day. My postal guy will drop off if I sign and leave a slip - but I will wait and goto post office for this one. Will post pics once I have it
    "Killer" was a bit of an overstatement on my part - the seller did a very good job of highlighting the issues in the photos, and in most cases those turn out to be less noticeable in person compared to an ill-lighted hi-res closeup!

Like I said in my post, I think this was a super fair price. But what was not taken into account is how hard this book is to find. This is one of those books that you could literally search for years and never find a copy... It's such a fine piece that most of the books are in their forever homes. So I was surprised to see this auction in the first place and I think there are going to be a bunch of people that didn't even know it was up for sale but will find out in the upcoming weeks and months and be disappointed that they didn't bid!

I'm excited for you to open it up!! It probably still smells like fresh dollar bills

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone ever actually seen the first printing of Powers of Two? I read that almost all of them got pulped due to poor copyediting. I've never seen one come up for sale.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are several up on ABE books.

Looking forward to those pics of Last Call.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, I just looked it up. Only two are first/first and one of them is damaged. At $150, I think I'll keep playing the waiting game.

And yes, please, post a few pics when you have the time.

Country
    Country Flag

Here’s a grail book and my new P&J

Little imperfection...but with no other bidders I’ll live with it

Letter H

Head over to my thread and you can see all of the pics
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Outstanding! Major congrats on a true cornerstone of small press collecting. Even with the 2 issues (which may be repairable), this is still a beautiful book.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, wow. Charnel House has one copy of the lettered Hide Me Among the Graves for $900. Hope someone here has the dough. I've never seen one come up for sale.

Country
    Country Flag

Its probably a good thing that I read this so late and missed it - especially since I have been drinking and woulda probably bought it - although I do have the limited version - that still is a pain in the arsenal to find and nearly as expensive as that lettered- that was a great price - to whomever bought it - plus they had two other Powers lettered on the site - the Stress of her Regard and Time to Cast away stones - bit I stayed away from both - already have the limited versions and it is time to finish the backyard...
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Country
    Country Flag

I am so, so, sorry. You're right, it's not on there because it never was. Sometime between reading The Stress of Her Regard and posting about it here, my brain shorted out and decided to type Hide Me. I'm terribly sorry about that. It's been a long day.

Country
    Country Flag

that's good - at least I know that I am not that crazy...yet
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

Country
    Country Flag

I saw the email but didn't notice the lettered The Stress of Her Regard! So thank you both for reviving this thread so I'd see it

Country
    Country Flag

I saw the email but didn't notice the lettered The Stress of Her Regard! So thank you both for reviving this thread so I'd see it
    Turns out it was a website error and it was only the numbered that was available

Country
    Country Flag

Turns out it was a website error and it was only the numbered that was available
    oh that stinks - sorry
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344

That is unfortunate! I'm sorry to hear that. It would've been a smashing deal - or so I think, these things don't move often at all, so there is little comparison. I paid more for mine, and this with significant sun fading on the spine. Alas...

Speaking of a Charnel House lettered The Stress of Her Regard, copy "J" is on eBay, item number 184037904495.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast