Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The collectible Tim Powers

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The collectible Tim Powers

I feel that Tim Powers is a vastly underrated author. Admittedly his output is quite small (twelve novels in 34 years!), but he is a fantastic writer with some great and quite diverse works. He also has a decent-sized catalogue of short stories and novellas. Pretty much everything he's released has ended up as small press editions with Charnel House and Subterranean Press being the main contributors. I've been digging through my Powers stuff and here's a few random items.

First up: Three proofs.

The Fisher King Trilogy from Subterranean Press, all #19:

The Stress Of Her Regard from Charnel House:

Lettered On Stranger Tides from Subterranean Press:

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeez, those photos are large! Sorry!

The Drawing Of The Dark from Hypatia Press:

A twice signed Dinner At Deviant's Palace including a doodle of the main character:

A Time To Cast Away Stones from Charnel House:
    Last edited by Clacke; 02-21-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

A three times signed Drawing Of The Dark paperback:

A first edition UK On Stranger Tides which has my all-time favourite dustjacket art:

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally the fantastic bibliography from PS Publishing which also came with an early unpublished novel and a facsimile of The Anubis Gates manuscript:

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting, i've never read anything by Mr Powers but will definately be looking out for him from now on.
    Love all the dust jacket art too!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I had never heard of Tim Powers but these books look awesome!

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the photos! I haven't seen some of these. Tim Powers's work is great. The Anubis Gates is one of my favorite novels. I'm due for a re-read.

The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is based on On Stranger Tides.

Hunter

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have the Babbage Press trade paperback of On Stranger Tides (along with the Subterranean Trade Hardcover). I first met Tim at the 1989 World Fantasy Convention in Seattle. I saw him again at Hypericon in Nashville in 2006, and he signed the Babbage Press edition for me. He said that I had one of the rare ones---apparently there was a coloring problem with the cover of the first couple of dozen paperbacks that were printed. I haven't seen any others to know what's different.

I also have the Subterrean Fisher King trilogy, but that's about it, as far as collectible Powers goes.

Hunter

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks as if the earlier copies were not printed with the intensity of color as the later ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stranger-Tides-T...item2a0df8c2c5

John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't want to confirm it, but as far as I know On strager tides is not the book that inspired the new Pirates of the caribbean movie.

But this book DID inspire one of the best videogames ever: The Secret of Monkey Island
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I don't want to confirm it, but as far as I know On strager tides is not the book that inspired the new Pirates of the caribbean movie.

But this book DID inspire one of the best videogames ever: The Secret of Monkey Island
    Ah, Guybrush Threepwood - one of the greatest video game heroes ever!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I don't want to confirm it, but as far as I know On strager tides is not the book that inspired the new Pirates of the caribbean movie
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is definitely based on Tim Powers's On Stranger Tides. Here is an interview with Tim Powers about it. Who knows how closely the movie will follow the book, but it definitely takes its inspiration from Powers's novel.

This is from the Wikipedia page for the movie:

On October 7, 2009, author Tim Powers confirmed that Disney bought the rights of his novel, On Stranger Tides, in April 2007.[28] The script was written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, who wrote the whole Pirates trilogy, and Rossio has stated that they will use elements from the novel, particularly Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, but the film would not be a straight adaptation.[29] Initial rumors stated the story had Jack Sparrow and Barbossa meeting up in the newly founded New Orleans, before they sail to find the Fountain of Youth together. A production spokesman confirmed the claim to be false, saying that the synopsis is different and even though location scouts visited New Orleans, production would occur in Hawaii and the United Kingdom.

Hunter

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Touché.

Gotta read it fast, then.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    I have the Babbage Press trade paperback of On Stranger Tides (along with the Subterranean Trade Hardcover). I first met Tim at the 1989 World Fantasy Convention in Seattle. I saw him again at Hypericon in Nashville in 2006, and he signed the Babbage Press edition for me. He said that I had one of the rare ones---apparently there was a coloring problem with the cover of the first couple of dozen paperbacks that were printed. I haven't seen any others to know what's different.

I also have the Subterrean Fisher King trilogy, but that's about it, as far as collectible Powers goes.

Hunter
    Taken from the official bibliography:

The first fifty copies in the print run of this edition have a slightly bluer tint to the cover art than the rest. Additionally a touch up to the artwork made Blackbeard's eyes slightly less wild looking!

Looks like he was telling you the truth!

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info! Now that I read that, I think he did mention Blackbeard's eyes, too.

Hunter

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember reading somewhere that Phillip Dick wrote one of the pages of The Anubis Gates
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The latest Tim Powers book, published by Charnel House: Deliver Us From Evil.

Each copy of the book comes with an original page of the hand written manuscript.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

That looks real nice, top of the line quality

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Charnel House books. They produce some of the best books I have ever seen. Congratulations.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

This makes me want to learn to bind books and make slipcases...!

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Charnel House produce top quality work. They're expensive but you certainly get beautiful books.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope to have an announcement here soon. Perhaps the "Holy Grail" of Tim Powers collecting.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Well, I'm intrigued! What could it be?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Holy Grail. For King Collectors the "Asbestos Firestarter" and The DTI S/L

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I hope to have an announcement here soon. Perhaps the "Holy Grail" of Tim Powers collecting.
    I notice that this is crossed off your list in the 2011 Collecting Goal thread.
    So, when is the big reveal.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast