Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Robert McCammon

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    Ordered mine.
    Me too. Matthew Corbett is currently my favorite recurring fictional character just edging out F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My current favorite recurring character is forensic anthropologist David Hunter (from the last four books of British author Simon Beckett). I really need to get started on the Matthew Corbett and Repairman Jack books!

Oh, and I really liked Cody McFadyen's books with Smoky Barrett as well.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I really need to get started on the Matthew Corbett and Repairman Jack books!
    Read SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD. I have made Robert McCammon many fans here in Amarillo by recommending that book to people who have never read him.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I like his horror novels but can't seem to get interested in the Corbett books. I also have The Five sitting on myself unread.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd qualify the Corbett books as historical mysteries. The only horror involved is the times in which they take place.

John

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Oh I know they aren't considered horror. I just meant they don't interest me in the way that a non horror novel like 11/22/63 does. I'd like to get into them but for some reason I cant

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    I like his horror novels but can't seem to get interested in the Corbett books. I also have The Five sitting on myself unread.
    the five was a killer read. especially if you are a rock and roll fan. King gave it a huge thumbs up saying " It was his (mccammons) best ever".

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the Corbett books -Speaks the Nightbird's my #1!- but The Five's the first fifty pages or so (I just started reading this book) were utterly...boring...
    And this is the first time I've ever said this about any McCammon.
    Hope things will pick up..

sk

I didn't like THE FIVE as much as some people. I mean I liked it fine and I liked the rock and roll references as that is my kind of music. But it wasn't my favorite McCammon ever.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Bob. I really liked the book for what it was but it's not the type of story I'd normally pick up and read, I think. Although you could still tell it's McCammon's work.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had the same problem with The Five as frik. Gave up and moved on to other things. I think I went into it with some prejudice since it wasn't a new Corbett novel. I'll try again after I finish 11/22/63.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, as many people (like SK himself) claimed The Five was the best McCammon ever, I was really looking forwards to reading it. I absolutely adore Boy's Life, They Thirst, Swan Song, and the Corbett books. Others I don't remember too well, like Usher's Passing, or Baal. It has been decadesd since I read those. But The Five..... I'm not convinced yet.
    As I said, I do hope things will pick up.

sk

It has gotten so that if King says he loves a book it pretty much means I won't. At least that's the way the last 5 or 6 books that I read on his recommendation have gone for me. I liked THE FIVE just fine, I just don't think it is his best.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree,
    its not his best, but it was a bit nastalgic for me. I used to play in a band years ago and i really think he captured some of the essence of playing on the road and absolutely pinned it when he describes a drum solo in one chapter. I really think being a musician and reading this book might kick it up a notch for the reader.

I can see your point and agree. I'm not a musician but I too enjoyed the behind the scenes look at the day to day workings of a touring band. I learned some things.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That lettered edition of THE FIVE looks sweet. Good job, Sub Press!

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about halfways now, and...hooked!

sk

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Came yesterday:

Country
    Country Flag

Looking great! I'm waiting for mine to arrive, looking forward to read it too!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a good looking limited edition, Jerome. Congrats!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is that from Cemetery Dance?? ...haven't got mine yet

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Is that from Cemetery Dance?? ...haven't got mine yet
    No. It is published by Subterranean press.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool, THANKS! ...I was worried for a while there...

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From the McCammon website:
    A few months ago, we announced that a new Robert McCammon short story would be published in a new anthology celebrating the work of Ray Bradbury. The title of the anthology is Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury, and it is edited by Sam Weller and Mort Castle. The book will be published in trade paperback by HarperCollins on July 17, 2011. It can be pre-ordered from Amazon.

A signed, limited edition of the book will be co-published by Guantlet Press and Borderlands Press. The limited edition is available for pre-ordering now. It comes in two states: a limited edition signed by all authors except Mr. Bradbury ($75) and a lettered edition signed by all authors including Mr. Bradbury ($500). You can read more about the book and place your order on the Gauntlet website.

The Robert McCammon story is entitled “Children of the Bedtime Machine.” Other contributing authors include Harlan Ellison, Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, Thomas F. Monteleone, Ramsey Campbell, Ray Bradbury himself, and 19 others. The full contents can be found on the Gauntlet website.
    Hunter

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like a great book Hunter. I will be checking this out later today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast