Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Robert McCammon

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    I'm leaving to a cruise tomorrow and was thinking to take "Boy's Life" with me. It's going to be my first McCammon book...

Good read ?

Thanks
    Good read??
    McCammon's very best!
    Enjoy!!!

sk

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks all. I took it with me... Can't go wrong

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I just bought signed copies of four of the Corbett novels from the bookstore in Alabama that carries his books. All were retail price but they have Queen of Bedlam listed for $269. Any clue why that one is ten times more than the others?
    There was a limited number of hardcovers published by Pocket. Note that it was not a limited edition in the normal collector's sense, but only a few hundred? thousand? copies were printed. Then Pocket remaindered the books after they'd only been for sale for about a month. That meant that there are not that many hardcover copies of The Queen of Bedlam out there, and prices for the existing copies went up. Unsigned copies were very rare on eBay before Subterranean Press published their limited edition. They tend to show up now for considerably less than the $200+ they used to command.

The hardcover edition is crap. It is quite possibly the most cheaply-produced hardcover that I own. The paper was really low-quality---it's shocking how light the 700-page book is---and the dust jacket looks like a bad photocopy of the trade paperback cover. Just a terrible production and not worth even the list price Pocket originally charged for it.

Even thought it's not a first edition, I would urge you to pick up the Subterranean limited instead. Camelot Books has copies for $175, which is still expensive (the original list price was $125, but it's sold out from Subterranean), but a much nicer edition.

The Queen of Bedlam at Camelot Books

Hunter
    My memory is hazy on this (as it is for many things these days, it seems). Wasn't the trade hardcover with the low publishing numbers published simultaneously with a trade paperback? Didn't that partially explain the relatively low numbers produced and sold for the hardcover edition?

And the Sub Press limited may be a nicer production but I don't think it replaces the Pocket Books hardcover. First is first and the Sub Press edition ain't the first.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    My memory is hazy on this (as it is for many things these days, it seems). Wasn't the trade hardcover with the low publishing numbers published simultaneously with a trade paperback? Didn't that partially explain the relatively low numbers produced and sold for the hardcover edition?
    Yes, the trade hardcover was published simultaneously with the trade paperback. Pocket planned to do only a trade paperback, but near publication date, they told me, "We're going to do a limited number of hardcovers for the collectors." And then they published the junk that was the hardcover. So yes, it was simultaneous, but the low numbers produced were because Pocket never planned to do a hardcover. And the even-lower numbers sold were due to Pocket remaindering the books about a month after publishing them. (I discovered they'd done that when I found 100 copies on Overstock or Book Closeouts (I can't remember which) for something like $5.)

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    And the Sub Press limited may be a nicer production but I don't think it replaces the Pocket Books hardcover. First is first and the Sub Press edition ain't the first.
    That's true. It depends on if you want the true first or the nicest book. I would never pay $269 for the Pocket hardcover, true first or not (of course, I already have a copy and can say that easily).

Hunter

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a hardcover first edition of Queen of Bedlam. Now if I can only get McCammon to sign it. I have all the others in the series as flag signed first editions.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am selling a lettered copy of I Travel by Night - 1 of 26. Price is $450 if anyone here is interested. Pictures on request.

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

As someone who discovered McCammon this year (via SubPress's ebook Humble Bundle offering,) I'm still trying to complete my collection (albeit VERY slowly.)

When it comes to nice hardcover editions of the Corbett series, did Sub Press offer trade versions (signed numbered aren't a necessity, and my wallet says NO anyway) of them all. I found a bookstore in Alabama that seems to have quite a few HC versions signed (probably the same one that's not mentioned by name above.) I haven't looked too hard at eBay yet (although I did score a Sub Press copy of Blue World for a sweet price (the signed/numbered version) awhile back.)

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

There are trades of all but Queen of Bedlam as that had a trade release already. They haven't done a speaks the night bird.

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    There are trades of all but Queen of Bedlam as that had a trade release already. They haven't done a speaks the night bird.
    And QoB seems to have a dubious history of hardcovers . . . so as long as I stay away from the Pocket Books version then I'll be satisfied? Having the 1st/1st isn't a goal in this case. I just prefer hardcovers.

Thanks!

Browsing the eBays . . .

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good luck, TacomaDiver, in your McCammon quest. You have many, many amazing worlds to discover.
    From the Corbett books to They Thirst to Boy's Life to (fill in here any McCammon), this author's legacy is awesome!

sk

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    And QoB seems to have a dubious history of hardcovers . . . so as long as I stay away from the Pocket Books version then I'll be satisfied? Having the 1st/1st isn't a goal in this case. I just prefer hardcovers.

Thanks!

Browsing the eBays . . .
    If you can get a nice copy for cheap go for it otherwise stick with the s/l of bedlam.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

River City published a trade hardcover of Nightbird, and Pocket a trade hardcover of Bedlam. All the others were published by Sub Press.
    Looking for the following lettered editions: Dark Forces, 999, Crown of Shadows (Hill)

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

FREEDOM OF THE MASK up for pre-order on the SubPress site, showing a May, 2016 pub date:
    http://subterraneanpress.com/store/p...om_of_the_mask

Gunslinger Apprentice NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM will become famous soon enough NoahM's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That link doesn't work, and there's nothing on the SP site. Is this a New Year's Fools' Day joke?? :-)
    Looking for the following lettered editions: Dark Forces, 999, Crown of Shadows (Hill)

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoahM View Post
    That link doesn't work, and there's nothing on the SP site. Is this a New Year's Fools' Day joke?? :-)
    Nope: it was there, and now it isn't. I guess that they posted it in error, and have since removed it. Sorry about that.

Country
    Country Flag

Bummer! Did you get an order in before it was removed?

Quote Originally Posted by mkberger View Post
    Nope: it was there, and now it isn't. I guess that they posted it in error, and have since removed it. Sorry about that.
    No, haven't ordered yet; I was just glancing through the site and the pre-orders and happened to see it.

I really like these, but my collection of the limited-state is not complete... I think that for 2016 I'll look to fill that out; I'm looking for a WOLF'S HOUR/HUNTER FROM THE WOODS limited set also, and just sold my unnumbered/PC of I TRAVEL BY NIGHT and looking to replace that with a numbered copy. Should be a good and busy year for McCammon collecting!

Country
    Country Flag

Ah. Best of luck with the collection in 2016! As for me, I have every numbered and lettered edition with the exception of the lettered Mister Slaughter, which I somehow missed - I might have been on vacation when it was announced and it was sold out by the time I saw it? That's the only hole in my McCammon collection with the exception of the UK trade hardcover of Mine. If I can find both of those next year, I'll be very happy!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mkberger View Post
    Should be a good and busy year for McCammon collecting!
    Not as busy as this year was, I hope - that was insane: The Border, Stinger, Blue World - a grand total of 7 books, counting each and every state.
    Mind you, I'm not complaining, but these lettered editions don't come cheap.

From what I've read, we'll be getting the Matthew Corbett book, the second I Travel By Night plus one of the previously published, older McCammons.
    Boy's Life would be awesome.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

As for me, I have every numbered and lettered edition with the exception of the lettered Mister Slaughter, which I somehow missed
    Hope you'll eventually find it, Noah.
    As for me, I have none of the lettered Corbett books.
    A gap I'll never be able to fill.

sk

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah. Best of luck with the collection in 2016! As for me, I have every numbered and lettered edition with the exception of the lettered Mister Slaughter, which I somehow missed - I might have been on vacation when it was announced and it was sold out by the time I saw it? That's the only hole in my McCammon collection with the exception of the UK trade hardcover of Mine. If I can find both of those next year, I'll be very happy!!
    There's a lettered Mister Slaughter on ebay right now, but you probably won't want it, as it's "PC."

Hunter

Country
    Country Flag

Subterranean will be announcing Freedom of the Mask soon. I'm sure the ordering page has been taken down until they post their formal announcement (next week?).

Hunter

Country
    Country Flag

There's a lettered Mister Slaughter on ebay right now, but you probably won't want it, as it's "PC."

Hunter
    Can't find it, Hunter.

sk

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post

Hunter
    Can't find it, Hunter.

sk
    Here it is:

Mister Slaughter Lettered PC Copy 1st Edition Signed by Robert McCammon

Hunter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast