Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: being Human

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Default being Human

Hey gang, I have discovered a new show ( new to me) and wanted to know what you all think of it, if youve seen it and for my english friends....how is it you never told me about this showI love it! to death! http://www.bbc.co.uk/beinghuman/

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The American version has been playing on the Scifi channel for about three weeks now. It is pretty good.

Life is a garden...dig it!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

My charge nurse had only just told me there is an american version.....
    but alas I am in love with the britsh humor you see...how or why we need an american one
    will have to be explained, I think I usually always prefer an original to a copy.

The answer is within

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, i've talked about it quite a bit Linda, and love the original to death, so I got apprehensive when, just a few weeks after an american version starts, someone starts a forum about BH! Glad to hear you love the UK version, though. That reminds me, i still haven't watched last week's ep yet! Need to sort that out asap!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    In Love

Isnt the show fab? The priest who is out to rid the world from the pure evil that these 3 beings represent
    Spoiler:
    is IMO the bigest monster

The answer is within

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ah yes. That's what i really love about the show: how it truly explores what being human and being a "monster" really is. I think one of my favourite episodes is in series 1 when Mitchell
    Spoiler:
    was mistaken for a peadophile, and was unsurprisingly attacked by the community for it along with George. It's a great episode that shows how ordinary, normally decent human beings can be turned into spiteful monsters not by vampires or werewolves but by the most basic human fears.
    The priest has his reasons for what he does beyond the usual "vampires and werewolves are evil to God", and i think that's great, since i think sometimes religion is all too easily attacked on its own these days in films and tv series, but yes, he certainly is one of the more horrific characters in the show, i think. I remember at the beginning of series 2 where
    Spoiler:
    he had a werewolf in a "decompression chamber"...ugh, the moment i heard those two words, i knew it was not going to be pretty!

Oh, and I also love the show for the fact that, instead of being angsty, tortured, whining little wimps, vampires in this show are full blown drug addicts and Mitchell's just trying to "kick the habit", essentially. The fact that all of this is balanced with some really great comedy makes this one of my favourite shows at the moment!

- Melike

My Mood
    In Love

You have listed a few really epic shows....yesterday was a marathon bh day on satilite tv here, prior to the series
    new show which I sadly fell asleep before it came on.

I agree on all your points however, those shows were awesome

The answer is within

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    My charge nurse had only just told me there is an american version.....
    but alas I am in love with the britsh humor you see...how or why we need an american one
    will have to be explained, I think I usually always prefer an original to a copy.
    Yeah, it's daft -- most shows don't get remade because they're not good enough to bother. They only remake the ones that are too good to top.

My Mood
    In Love

hahahaha precisely right my friend, and with this show...they certainly have that recipe correct (imo)

A couple of things... its over cool that the charactures both the vampyre& the werewolf work in a hospital...where else??
    also, I have view the us version thanks to hulu and a found computer in my hospital with speakers, I still like the BBC show better.

The answer is within

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I was pretty wary of the American version because I had already seen and loved the original, but I am actually enjoying the American version quite a bit.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well that's good to know. I'm not keen on checking out the remake any time soon though, especially since the 3rd series of the original is currently being so brilliant. Tonight's episode in particular was fantastic!
    Spoiler:
    For one thing, he's back! Yay!

- Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i have only seen about 3 episodes of the UK version but i have to admit it was pretty good. I have seen the US version and i like them both equally. But i am sort of inclined to the US version cause Sam witwer is one of my favorite actors
    If you love me then love me..

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never saw the UK version, but stopped watching the American version after 3 episodes. It just seemed extremely boring, and overall very whiny, to my wife and I.

Do you guys recommend the UK version?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I never saw the UK version, but stopped watching the American version after 3 episodes. It just seemed extremely boring, and overall very whiny, to my wife and I.

I'm lol'ing because that's exactly why I quit watching the UK version

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post

I don't really see either version that way, but i think that if you see the US version that way, it is likely that you will see the UK version that way as well. The werewolf in both is certainly whiny.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't seem to remember the 'werewolf' having family in the UK version...although i have seen a few of the UK versions via Netflix. I haven't seen all of the eps for the UK version...does he have a family that visits him or is that something the American version just threw in there?

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

He did have a family, but they weren't really shown in the UK version, at least not as far as i can remember. So it sounds like the US version is taking its own direction. Could be interesting, i 'spose. Although i still think "Aidan" is too obvious a name for a vampire to have. That's one thing i love about the UK version - yes, the vampire can appear badarse sometimes, but most of the time he aims to be ordinary and blend in, and that's more believeable with a surname like "Mitchell"!

- Melike

My Mood
    In Love

I dont care....I'm just amazed that I found a TV show I love....This show is lmost as good as a book, and funny! whoot!

The answer is within

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's something I randomly catch an episode of and love, but never remember when it's on. I've pre-ordered the complete season 1-3 boxset from Amazon (UK version).

Demon of the Prim Yeah Sure Whatever is on a distinguished road Yeah Sure Whatever's Avatar

San Francisco De California, Cusco, Peru, Peru
    My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

We saw the first episode (US version) and while it was interesting, I was instantly turned off by the vampire being up during the day. I think we'll give it a shot though for a few more episodes anyway!
    Check out my website for all sorts of Crocheted Goods. Not your grandma's crochet http://www.etsy.com/shop/yeahsurewhatever and my FB Fan Page too: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacifi...05080416199057

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Well that's good to know. I'm not keen on checking out the remake any time soon though, especially since the 3rd series of the original is currently being so brilliant. Tonight's episode in particular was fantastic!
    Spoiler:
    For one thing, he's back! Yay!
    When they showed the snow scene at the end of series 2 I groaned a bit inside.
    Spoiler:
    I'm not really a fan of bringing back people who have been killed off, especially when considering what a major event that was for George.
    However, the route they took was really interesting wasn't it?
    Spoiler:
    I still think he's a nasty manipulative piece of work underneath, but I think his amnesia is genuine.

As for George's family, apparently
    Spoiler:
    they turn up next episode (tomorrow)

As for the name of the American version of the vampire 'Aidan', that's actually the British actor's real name. It was a bit of a homage to him. I'm avoiding the US version. To be fair, it might be good, I just don't really see a need for it to be remade since we speak much the same language. (That goes for the other way round too, i.e. UK remakes of American shows.)

Sure there are some cultural references that might blow over each others heads, but I'm sure there's enough plot to get what's going on. I can follow most American shows just fine and it didn't take me long to work out the differences in terminology. And enjoying the variety for that matter.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Sure Whatever View Post
    We saw the first episode (US version) and while it was interesting, I was instantly turned off by the vampire being up during the day. I think we'll give it a shot though for a few more episodes anyway!
    Well, it was something that was done for the UK version, although to be fair, vampires being killed by sunlight is a relatively recent addition to vampire mythology, at least as far as vampire legends go! It's a little change i can forgive, at least. Especially since they don't sparkle in the being human universe and in fact are blood addicted monsters like they should be! I recommend the UK version, since, let's be honest, the originals are usually the best!

And darnit, i should've remembered the British actor's name is Aidan Turner! (Although to be honest, i rarely notice the names of a lot of actors on my favourite shows, although Russell Tovey who plays werewolf George is rapidly becoming one of my favourite actors in British tv right now, not just in BH but also from what i've seen of Him & Her as well as his appearances in other shows, since he's usually decent in all of them.) Well, as nice a tribute as it makes, it's still a bit of an uncommon name to hear. I think it would've been a bit more faithful in spirit to have the vampire given a more ordinary name, but since i've still yet to see the remake, i can't truly judge it on how faithful it is just yet. I plan on checking it out, though. Maybe when the current UK series has finished. I doubt the remake will suck as much as the Life on Mars remake did!

- Melike

My Mood
    In Love

I've just finished watching another brilliant episode, Mitchell has managed to bring Anne back from pergotoryto the land of the living where she just happens to be dead.

The answer is within

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You forgot the most important thing, Linda.

He goes through all the effort of getting her out of purgatory, and where does he bring her?
    Spoiler:
    Barry, Wales.

"I think i preferred purgatory!"

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just saw the latest UK episode, the one with
    Spoiler:
    George's parents.

Very amusing!
    Spoiler:
    And a nice twist later on.

I'm going to pop over and watch the web series Becoming Human in a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast