Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Indie Films

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG, I did too! That was a GREAT movie!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post
    Darkthoughts: if you like australian drama, try and find / buy / download a series called "Love My Way" - its brilliant and has won a whole swag of awards over here.
    Ooh, I love Autralian new wave cinema.

http://www.lookbothways.com.au/

http://www.littlefishmovie.com/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...45/ai_13566985

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somersault_%28film%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Proposition

Okay, I know it's not remotely "indie," but I still love Moulin Rouge.
    Ah, little fish is awesome

Have you seen Candy?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I just found this thread and decided to resurrect it... as there's been a ton of good Indie Films out since the last post here.

Some of my favorites ( in no particular order ) :
    • Juno
    • All Over Me
    • Little Miss Sunshine
    • Lost in Translation
    • My Own Private Idaho
    • House of Games
    • Pi
    • Ghost World
    • Little Voice
    • Girlfight
    • Kissing Jessica Stein
    • Desert Hearts
    • Billy Elliott
    • The Station Agent
    • Clerks
    • Boys Don't Cry
    • Black and White
    • Timecode
    • Boogie Nights
    • Candy ( Heath Ledger )
    • prey for rock & roll
    • Velvet Goldmine
    • Repo Man
    • Swingers
    • thirteen

Are we including documentaries? I love those and really, they've very independent!
    • Capturing the Friedmans
    • Brother's Keeper
    • Edgeplay : A Film About The Runaways
    • Paradise Lost : The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills
    • Paradise Lost 2: Revelations
    • Spellbound
    • Trembling Before G-d
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Repo Man is awesome, I'm surprised not many people know it.

I just didn't get on with Lost In Translation, though. I wanted to - but it was just blah.

My Mood
    Gay

OMG! I loved Repo Man...

... I even have the limited edition DVD in the license plate tin from Anchor Bay.

ETA: re - Lost in Translation. Wow. I hear that from so many people. Either they love it or they just think it's kind of meh. I happen to be in the love it column. I find it so engaging and visual and ... charming, I guess. To me, it's Bill Murray's best performance.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's why i wanted to love it, he was great - really understated and not his usual egotistical self, and Scarlett Johanssen (sp?) seemed so charming...but it just didn't grab me. I've never sat through the whole thing, although I've seen the start, the ending and various bits of the middle

That Repo Man dvd is insane!!! My sister and I "discovered" the film years ago, I think I was about 16 and it was something that my Dad said, "Stay up and watch this!" as he used to do with some choice flicks from time to time. We never knew anyone else who'd seen it. It wasn't until I joined internet forums that I met people who had.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I just didn't get on with Lost In Translation, though. I wanted to - but it was just blah.
    same here

i gave it a chance, and it was nice to look at from a visual perspective but the story itself was so incredibly dull, and to be honest, i don't think all that much of scarlett johanssen. i guess she's okay to look at (though not really my type for that either)

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

I've only seen Lost in Translation once, back in my Christian days, and I remember thinking how weird and wrong a lot of it was. I should really watch it again, because I tend to like "slower" films.

Okay, um, I have to say it - Garden State.
    Cliche by now, but I still love that film.

And Once. Definitely one of my favorite films of all time.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone here seen You, Me, and Everyone We Know?

It's a cute (Yes, I said cute) and romantic little indie film, I really really liked it.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

I have actually.
    And yeah, I liked it a lot.

That's a wonderful description Feev - it's definitely cute.

My Mood
    Gay

SJ - Oh, you know, I liked Garden State a lot. I was surprised, too, cause I'm not a big Zack Braff fan.

I actually loved Lost In Translation. Really. I watch it every time it's on and have been known just to toss the DVD in now and again. I thought Sofia Coppola did a great job directing and getting that performance out of Bill Murray, and I love the script. Love it.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I find it odd that no one except Dags at the very beginning of this discussion has mentioned Star Wars. That is the ultimate indie film. Actually, the entire trilogy is indie when you think about it. Sure 20th Centruy Fox distributed it, but did you know that's all the involvement any Hollywood studios had with the films? They didn't produce any of the films. They didn't do the casting, editing, or anything else besides the distribution to theaters, and the only reason Lucas went to them for distribution is because he knew the big studios had a better network for putting his film out there than he did. In other words, they could get more seats to put the butts in than he could.

I say Star Wars is indie and so are Empire and Return and those are my favorite indie films.

I also like some of Tarantino's work and all of Kevin Smith's (but could either one be called indie at this point, just food for thought).
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

Sam - I think I could agree, somewhat, that Star Wars could be considered independent... but Empire and ROtJ? Um, there's no way. Following the mega success of Star Wars, the others had all the big studio backing and money they could take.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think these would be considered indie . . .

Boondock Saints
    Green Street Hooligans
    Poolhall Junkies
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Me and You and Everyone We Know is one of my favorite movies, ever.

We had to watch it again almost right away. The kid 'making the sun rise' scene at the end is one of the best moments. Miranda July!

Oh and:

))<>((
    FOREVER

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Ikarus View Post

Boondock Saints
    Green Street Hooligans
    Poolhall Junkies
    Ahhh!! Poolhall Junkies!

"What's the matter? A few seconds ago it was like a night at the Apollo in here, and now it's as quiet as a motherfuckin' church!"

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Ikarus View Post

Boondock Saints
    Green Street Hooligans
    Poolhall Junkies
    Ahhh!! Poolhall Junkies!

"What's the matter? A few seconds ago it was like a night at the Apollo in here, and now it's as quiet as a motherfuckin' church!"
    Haha!! Hell yeah! Great movie.

" . . . every once in a while, the lion has to rip the shit out of everything, just to remind the jackals who he really is."

For the amount of screen time he has, Christopher Walken is great in that movie.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post

I that movie.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Hard Candy

I love that film.

I'm always amazed by how many people don't understand that faux 'castration' scene. I know someone who didn't get it until I described what had happened there, and she actually works in movies.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I find it odd that no one except Dags at the very beginning of this discussion has mentioned Star Wars. That is the ultimate indie film. Actually, the entire trilogy is indie when you think about it. Sure 20th Centruy Fox distributed it, but did you know that's all the involvement any Hollywood studios had with the films? They didn't produce any of the films. They didn't do the casting, editing, or anything else besides the distribution to theaters, and the only reason Lucas went to them for distribution is because he knew the big studios had a better network for putting his film out there than he did. In other words, they could get more seats to put the butts in than he could.

I say Star Wars is indie and so are Empire and Return and those are my favorite indie films.

I also like some of Tarantino's work and all of Kevin Smith's (but could either one be called indie at this point, just food for thought).
    That is an excellent point. George Lucas always has complete control, for better or worse.

And the term indie is really nonspecific and watered down and all over the place, I think.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Glass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

That is an excellent point. George Lucas always has complete control, for better or worse.

And the term indie is really nonspecific and watered down and all over the place, I think.
    SG! Welcome back!! Haven't seen you in a while!

re: George Lucas. I agree that Star Wars could be considered an independent film, but not the others.

Yeah, but so does James Cameron and his stuff isn't independent either.

Having complete control doesn't equal an Indie Film. At least not how we're talking about it here.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    Wow! I hired this today because you'd mentioned it...it's just brilliant.

And all the way through I was thinking..."I know who that guy is!" and then it clicked, he's Outspan from The Commitments

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

There are two indie 'heavyweights' that I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen yet - Garden State and Rushmore. However, I'm trying to remedy this as soon as possible by adding them to my netflix queue

My Mood
    Gay

I liked Garden State, but didn't love it. Natalie Portman steals the whole movie - she's great.

Rushmore... much the same. It was good, but not great.

I loved The Commitments.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    There are two indie 'heavyweights' that I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen yet - Garden State and Rushmore. However, I'm trying to remedy this as soon as possible by adding them to my netflix queue
    Feev, have you seen Run Lola Run? If not you gotta check it out. I think you might really enjoy it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast