Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten-hour miniseries of The Stand on CBS All Access

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Wanna know how to tell when a show sucks? From post #401-#423, only 8 comments had to do with the show itself.
    It is not very good. Okay I've only seen the 1st episode, but on that showing, it will flop.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is on some channel I have to pay extra for? I already pay Comcast $150/month for cable and internet and now I have to pay more b/c this channel isn't one of the 200 or so I already get? What a rip-off.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    This is on some channel I have to pay extra for? I already pay Comcast $150/month for cable and internet and now I have to pay more b/c this channel isn't one of the 200 or so I already get? What a rip-off.
    Yea, I remember when you just paid one price for cable and got most of the channels. Then we switched to satellite and had to pick a package based on which channels we wanted. Channels like HBO or Cinemax cost extra. Now you have to have one of those, plus 2 dozen different streaming services to get all the channels.

Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Peacock, Amazon Prime, Youtube Premium, CBS All Access, Crunchyroll...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    ...Crunchyroll...
    Come on, you made that one up.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yea, I remember when you just paid one price for cable and got most of the channels. Then we switched to satellite and had to pick a package based on which channels we wanted. Channels like HBO or Cinemax cost extra. Now you have to have one of those, plus 2 dozen different streaming services to get all the channels.

Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Peacock, Amazon Prime, Youtube Premium, CBS All Access, Crunchyroll...

I don't have any TV, and it seems that the internet is a lot cheaper here. I pay Netflix, but let's be honnest... in itself, the internet is technically enough....
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    ...Crunchyroll...
    Come on, you made that one up.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Wanna know how to tell when a show sucks? From post #401-#423, only 8 comments had to do with the show itself.
    It did suck. I knew it would.. I have ZERO faith in Josh B and hate to say that but this could have been special and MAYBE it gets better. I will watch it and reserve final judgment until a few more.
    Yea, when all the buzz is around the casting selection or the lack thereof; pretty much tells the tale. I'm being cheap and will attempt to watch it in February on a free trial when all the episodes are out. Or maybe someone will just upload them to YouTube
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have Comcast as well. Generally satisfied but they do some screwy things like remove premium channels that you are paying for and replacing with something you never heard of and tell you it is the same. Cinemax, Starz etc. Also, a pet peeve that the cable remote control will allow you turn on the cable box but not turn it off. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but that seems really strange. You have to push a button on the cable box itself to turn it off. So there are no doubt hundreds of thousands of cable boxes that on all the time even when no one is watching.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched the second episode for review purposes and I must say I liked it more than the first one. It's not PG13 (something I feared it might be a reality) and it has a good pace and balance.

And no, I don't give a fuck about fidelity and changes on any adaptation. I'm watching an adaptation, not a book. If I want the story in the book, well...I have the book (which I'm re reading btw).
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default THE ART AND MAKING OF THE STAND

From the Press Release: Titan Books is delighted to announce the upcoming publication of the definitive companion title to the new CBS All Access limited event series, The Stand, based on Stephen King’s novel of the same name.
    In an apocalyptic vision of a world decimated by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil, the fate of mankind rests on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abagail and a handful of survivors. Their worst nightmares are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the Dark Man.

In 1979 Stephen King published The Stand, a massive apocalyptic tale that set the standard for all those stories that followed. The book was another King bestseller, leading to the release of The Complete and Uncut version in 1990, a 1994 ABC four-part mini-series and a 31-issue Marvel Comics adaptation in 2009. Now, King’s opus is being revisited for modern-day, with a 9-episode limited event series for the subscription streaming service, CBS All Access, with a star-studded cast, including Oscar™-winner Whoopi Goldberg, Alexander Skarsgård, James Marsden, Odessa Young, Jovan Adepo, Amber Heard, Owen Teague, Henry Zaga, Brad William Henke, Greg Kinnear, Irene Bedard and Nat Wolff all bringing the story into the 21st Century.
    THE ART AND MAKING OF THE STAND takes readers behind the scenes of this much-anticipated series to discover how a remarkable group of producers and actors brought Stephen King’s genre-defining opus to screen. The book is full to the brim with on-set photography, concept art and more, accompanied by interviews with the crew and all-star cast alongside the shooting script for the never-before-published coda written for the new series by King himself.

Written by The Stand expert Andy Burns, THE ART AND MAKING OF THE STAND is set to publish in hardback on May 4, 2021, priced at $45 and £34.99.
    The Stand premieres December 17th exclusively on CBS All Access in the United States. New episodes of the nine-episode limited event series will drop weekly on Thursdays.

About the author:
    Andy Burns is the author This Dark Chest of Wonder: 40 Years of Stephen King’s The Stand. The book traced the history of King’s apocalyptic masterpiece from its creation through its multiple adaptations. Andy is a founder and publisher of the pop culture website Biff Bam Pop!, and a former staff writer for Rue Morgue. Currently, he is the Interactive Content Editor for SiriusXM Canada.

About Titan Books:
    Titan Books is a division of Titan Publishing Group and a leading world publisher of Film, TV and Gaming fiction and non-fiction, and original fiction. Titan Books’ acclaimed media publishing programme includes a wide range of some of today’s most exciting franchises and classic properties, including books covering the worlds of DC Universe (Batman vs Superman, Wonder Woman and the Justice League), Star Trek, Mad Max, Alien, and many more.

Wanted list:
    Ubris

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I watched the second episode for review purposes and I must say I liked it more than the first one. It's not PG13 (something I feared it might be a reality) and it has a good pace and balance.

And no, I don't give a fuck about fidelity and changes on any adaptation. I'm watching an adaptation, not a book. If I want the story in the book, well...I have the book (which I'm re reading btw).
    I am on the same page as Ari. I don't hold the movie next to the book. I actually enjoyed Dark Tower movie because I did't expect it to be a 2 hours in a 7 + books thing. Some adaptions are good, some are bad. The Stand first episode wasn't great but wasn't bad either.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

I don't often mind changes. Most of the time I welcome them. But changing the structure of The Stand is the most baffling change I've seen in a King adaptation. It just hurts the storytelling in every possible way. It makes the scope feel so small. It completely takes away the tension of the world unraveling under the virus. The character development is rushed. We no longer join them on the lonely journey through vast, empty, American landscapes while they try to find their way. No wondering if they'll end up on the good or bad side and which of the other characters they'll meet, and feel excited when they eventually do meet.

It's also weird to make Harold the main character of episode 1 rather than focus more on the people who will make the titular stand, and at the same time rush through his story arc. Now I don't care about his dilemma between good and evil, and I also don't care about the people he will turn against at the moment he decides to do so.

Making Flagg be the cause of it all also feels like a complete misunderstanding of the character and King's intentions when he writes about human SNAFU. Flagg is an opportunist who seizes his chance when humanity screws up.

I don't know, this left no impact on me. If it wasn't a King adaptation, I would forget to watch episode 2. If you need to change something to make it work in another medium, you should. But changing things that hurt the storytelling is just a bad choice and makes for a bad product. I'm glad Josh Boone didn't get to do Revival and Lisey's Story.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    ...changing the structure of The Stand is the most baffling change I've seen in a King adaptation. It just hurts the storytelling in every possible way. It makes the scope feel so small. It completely takes away the tension of the world unraveling under the virus. The character development is rushed. We no longer join them on the lonely journey through vast, empty, American landscapes while they try to find their way. No wondering if they'll end up on the good or bad side and which of the other characters they'll meet, and feel excited when they eventually do meet...Making Flagg be the cause of it all also feels like a complete misunderstanding of the character and King's intentions when he writes about human SNAFU. Flagg is an opportunist who seizes his chance when humanity screws up...changing things that hurt the storytelling is just a bad choice and makes for a bad product.
    We’ve got a bingo!

When a written work is used as a source for film or TV, the existing story is similar to a physical structure like a multi-floor home - the floors are strong, all rooms have doorways, bathrooms have sinks and toilets, bedrooms have closets, load-bearing walls are where they need to be, etc.

When a producer obtains adaptation rights and starts tinkering, very well, go ahead and tinker - but every load-bearing beam you remove better be replaced (or its load removed), and you better not put the back door next to the front door or the bathroom next to the kitchen. In short: don’t fuck it up. (Doctor Sleep made several changes, with good reasons, and kept the walls up - that was a really good movie).

Beyond simply not fucking something up, there is a higher rule that, if not absolutely necessary to follow, should at least be considered by every screenwriter who thinks he/she can improve upon the storytelling of an existing successful property, and that is, when you decide to relocate a door or a room, ask yourself why it is necessary to remove something known to work narratively with something you think will work. If it’s a question of time, very well, but resequencing things (as seems to have happened with this iteration of The Stand) is a case of remodeling for the hell of it to the detriment of the story - aka, fucking it up - which shouldn’t be ok in anyone’s eyes.

Will, if there’s one sting we’re all used to, it’s bad (fuc)King adaptations.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Correct. Why not start Cormac McCarthy's The Road at the end, then do out of sequence flashbacks-including one where they cross paths with The Trashcan Man.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Free Amazon prime trial with CBS add on for 99 cents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/offe..._c486811161055
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i'v e got a question and i haven't seen this yet either as i don't have the channel either, i was at wallmart yesterday and i saw the NEW paperback edition had #1296 pages my paper back book Uncut that is without looking it up #1,141 pages i believe. the paperback anyways did they just use smaller print? i have a version of The Shining that someone gave me fro mi think 2001 where it's got a yellow cover and the book is actually longer than the OG version. i have not read that version yet but did they also use smaller print on that one?

funny enough i looked that up online and a site i found said that one is pretty rare well mine is in Mint condition

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably just smaller print.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Font size, spacing and actual page size make the difference in total pages.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Font size, spacing and actual page size make the difference in total pages.
    As well as margins
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

For those of you with Prime, the first episode is available to watch. I enjoyed it. I was a bit worried with all the lackluster reviews it's been getting, so maybe my expectations we're really low, but I thought it was good. There's just one complaint I have with it and that's in the way they tell the story. I watched it with my boyfriend who has no knowledge of the book or the previous miniseries and he got thoroughly confused at times. I'm really curious as to why they chose to present it that way. Not sure they'll keep viewers with no knowledge of the storyline.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    For those of you with Prime, the first episode is available to watch. I enjoyed it. I was a bit worried with all the lackluster reviews it's been getting, so maybe my expectations we're really low, but I thought it was good. There's just one complaint I have with it and that's in the way they tell the story. I watched it with my boyfriend who has no knowledge of the book or the previous miniseries and he got thoroughly confused at times. I'm really curious as to why they chose to present it that way. Not sure they'll keep viewers with no knowledge of the storyline.
    I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it as well. I expected it to be complete trash based on everything that has been posted. I liked the way they moved the story telling around for folks that have read the book. It gives us a new feel for it. Agreed it should be more linear for folks that haven't. They should perhaps watch the first mini-series first then this one. Or better yet, read the book . King's best IMO.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The acting is pretty top notch and casting was solid but the time jumps are just so poorly done and confusing. It almost requires the user to have read the book to understand.

Country
    Country Flag

IMDB now has the title of the final two episods
    e08 = The Stand
    e09 = Coda : Frannie in the Well

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Heather, are you saying it's available for free on Amazon Prime streaming service? If so, I'll give it a watch for sure.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Heather, are you saying it's available for free on Amazon Prime streaming service? If so, I'll give it a watch for sure.
    In Europe, it will available from tomorrow on Amazon Prime, but with the Starzplay channel. Which means it won't be free. But there will be a free trial period

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast