Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Stephen King & 1950s Horror Comic Books

Traveler Weird Terror 72 is on a distinguished road Weird Terror 72's Avatar

My Mood
    Cold
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King & 1950s Horror Comic Books

Honestly cannot remember where I saw or read that possibly Creepshow by King was based off of 1950s horror comics that he indulged in as a kid. I have always been interested in these and have a few of them. I am sure most of you know of Tales From The Crypt the HBO series that was based on the comics but there were many more and they were actually banned by 1954 which led to the comics code. Decapitations, mutilations, eye injuries, shrunken heads, dismemberment were pretty common in these. Some of the crime comics were pretty gory as well. Anyone else have an interest in these.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely!
    I was not really into the '50s horror comics - I was born during that period- but loved the Warren comics of the '60s, '70s and '80s. Of course, I'm talking about Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella. I had a huge collection of all three titles, but when moving back to the Netherlands -I lived in Canada at the time- I, ehm, threw them all out, literally down the garbage shute.
    Fortunately Dark Horse is coming out with gorgeous Creepy/Eerie Archive Editions, plus the first Vampirella collection should be here next week.
    I also read the current Creepy series. Not bad at all.

sk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Definitely!
    I was not really into the '50s horror comics - I was born during that period- but loved the Warren comics of the '60s, '70s and '80s. Of course, I'm talking about Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella. I had a huge collection of all three titles, but when moving back to the Netherlands -I lived in Canada at the time- I, ehm, threw them all out, literally down the garbage shute.
    Fortunately Dark Horse is coming out with gorgeous Creepy/Eerie Archive Editions, plus the first Vampirella collection should be here next week.
    I also read the current Creepy series. Not bad at all.

sk
    *dies*
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

No question about Creepshow... I mean the influence is obvious.
    What's really mind-blowing about the original comics is that those very stories that became late-night HBO programming were being marketed to preteens in the early fifties. The 1950s! Is it any wonder that censors stepped in?
    I think this is a good thread, especially if you want to talk about SK... those motifs creep out in his work continually.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My parents would not allow those comics in the house, so I had to go to a neighbor's house (whose parents were more lenient) to read them. Made it inconvenient, but I did read a lot of them.

John