Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Worst S/L or Collectible Item Ever?

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I would agree with Jerome.
    Last Call by Charnel House is a beautiful piece of art and bindery, so much so that they refused to tray case it so it was never hidden from view. That is what I heard and right or wrong I rather like the idea. I believe it was the recipient of awards for the design.
    The only design I do not like is one that renders the book incapable of being placed ‘flush’ in a line of books. Or is so ridiculously large it requires a special height shelf space to accommodate it.
    As regards the lettered Regulators it seems there are decidedly ‘like or dislike’, very clear defining views. However if I chose dislike in line with someone else, that would make both of us wrong!!
    I had not seen their edition of Last Call, but that one looks acceptable.

I suppose your point about things being flush is in line with my own views. To me, having something jutting out of the book is more of a distraction than a feature.

Not that I would be reading the Lettered Regulators if I owned it, but I like to have the option to comfortably read it regardless! ;-)

The tarot card and poker chips are thin enough that I imagine they can be imbedded in the cover without being detrimental to reading the book.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Charnel House pioneered the art of embedding things in the front boards. I mean, I'm sure they weren't the first, but they definitely took it to a new level. You can draw a pretty direct line from what Joe started doing in the early 1990's to the lettered Misery in 2018, and for that, if nothing else, I'm grateful!

That said, there have been a mix over the years of incredible hits: tarot cards and poker chips in Last Call, garters in The New Neighbor, bullets in The Regulators (put me in the "like" camp for this one, though it's one of my unacquired grails still), and mortuary toe tags in Appointment on Sunset, as well as some significant misses: a level and a CD, for example, and I couldn't even tell you the books because I didn't buy them...

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Regulator lettered sucks but we don't talk about ones like the Bag of Bones S/L? hahahah yeahhhhhhhhhhhh ok! COME ON PEOPLE!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Regulator lettered sucks but we don't talk about ones like the Bag of Bones S/L? hahahah yeahhhhhhhhhhhh ok! COME ON PEOPLE!
    Just a bookplate in a trade, right?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Just a bookplate in a trade, right?
    Yes, but the price was very low.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Along those lines, some of the S/Ls by large publishers are a little lackluster. The UK S/Ls from Hodder and Stoughton come to mind.

I like them, don't get me wrong - they are the main S/Ls, I collect, in fact - but some of them are little more than a trade edition with a signature plate, no jacket, and a slipcase. (Having said that, others are quite nice indeed).

A US S/L along the same lines is the Scribner 11/22/63. Again, I have and like this edition, and it has some nice extras, but fundamentally it's a trade edition in different clothing. (It doesn't help that quality control and care in packing and shipping for this edition was somewhat lacking)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Along those lines, some of the S/Ls by large publishers are a little lackluster. The UK S/Ls from Hodder and Stoughton come to mind.

I like them, don't get me wrong - they are the main S/Ls, I collect, in fact - but some of them are little more than a trade edition with a signature plate, no jacket, and a slipcase. (Having said that, others are quite nice indeed).

A US S/L along the same lines is the Scribner 11/22/63. Again, I have and like this edition, and it has some nice extras, but fundamentally it's a trade edition in different clothing. (It doesn't help that quality control and care in packing and shipping for this edition was somewhat lacking)
    Agreed.. SO many lackluster S/L's... NO offence to the others but sitting her reading comments slamming a lettered like Regulators when there is COUNTLESS other shit thats been put out... LOL is just sad to read
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all Splync is a name known to all

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

Agreed.. SO many lackluster S/L's... NO offence to the others but sitting her reading comments slamming a lettered like Regulators when there is COUNTLESS other shit thats been put out... LOL is just sad to read
    Yeah, but those are still comfortably readable, despite being unimaginative.

And I also feel like there is a difference between "signed trade with a fresh coat of paint" and a publication that is specifically designed to stand alone as a S/L or numbered/lettered edition.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Agree with that last - which is why I collect them. They are still limited in number and usually differ from the trade edition in some positive regard.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9