Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Movies of 2010

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by haunted.lunchbox View Post
    How to Train your Dragon was entertaining, but not a top movie...
    A 98% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a possible Oscar nomination says otherwise...
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen a lot of movies this year (missing notable films like True Grit and Black Swan, among others), but from those I have seen:

5. Kick-Ass -- Hilarious, intense, stylish; one heck of an entertaining flick.
    4. Toy Story 3 -- A great finale to one of the world's most beloved trilogies.
    3. Scott Pilgrim VS The World -- Very unique, underrated comedy gem most will discover on DVD.
    2. The Social Network -- A well-written, well-directed, well-acted piece of cinematic greatness.
    1. INCEPTION -- Extraordinary film. Will go down in history as one of sci-fi's greats.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    7) Ghost Writer - An underrated thriller. I know some were put off by the slow pace, but I felt it added to the suspense.
    This, absolutely. The only film bears can list for this year. Hopefully, when I finally get around to seeing Inception, my list will grow by 100%. Shutter Island was a huge disappointment, and I don't think I've seen anything else people have on their lists.
    Shutter Island was well made and acted and Scorcese crafted a beautiful mood from his sets and music but I feel the movie didn't deliver in terms of plot. I guessed the ending in the first scene. I do love the final shot of the movie though; felt that was extremely chilling. I rated it 8/10 for being nicely crafted and if a lesser director had that movie, it would have been a five or a six surely. My favourite aspect of the movie were the flashback sequences.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

A 98% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a possible Oscar nomination says otherwise...
    Finding Nemo was the same thing and I thought that movie was drivel. I only saw second half of How to Train Your Dragon and it seemed enjoyable.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen HTTYD, but I will get it immediately if it's equal to Nemo.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Saw THE KING'S SPEECH today (movie number 125 seen at theaters this year), and my Top 10 list remains the same. Not Best Picture worthy IMHO.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I actually got heavily into westerns after I completed TDT series. Well, manically obsessed is more like it. I watched every single one of Clint Eastwood's westerns in the span of about one month (thanks Netflix), and then I systematically hunted down all of the 'important' westerns. They're one of my favorite genres.

have you seen Yojimbo. It was made by Akira Kurosawa. It is the film that inspired the Clint Eastwood film "A Fist Full of Dollars."

Does whatever a spiderman does.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

... and it is absolutely fantastic!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I too am waiting for Netflix to send Inception (up next)
    Shutter Island was for me ....meh.

I think theyre the only 2010 films I have seen. OOps!
    I saw Ther girl with the dragon tattoo. also meh

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

*Bump

Come on, I want to see some more lists !

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeah. More lists!
    If you love me then love me..

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

After watching some movies I think I may have to change my list

1.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt1
    2.Shutter Island, I absolutly loved this movie I preticerly loved the ending cause I honestly didn't see it coming.
    3.Grown Ups
    4.Date Night
    5.How To Train Your Dragon
    6.Toy Story 3
    7.Vampires Suck
    8.Dear John(I think it came out 2010 anyways)
    9.law Abiding Citizen
    10.Gamer
    11.Invention of lying

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    I too am waiting for Netflix to send Inception (up next)
    Shutter Island was for me ....meh.

I think theyre the only 2010 films I have seen. OOps!
    I saw Ther girl with the dragon tattoo. also meh
    I too thought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was 'meh'. I don't get the critical acclaim for that film. I was bored out of my mind through most of it, and I didn't care about the story at all. Ironically, I'm looking forward to Fincher's American adaption. I'm usually against adaptions like this, but because I didn't care for the Swedish version of Dragon Tattoo and have been very impressed with Fincher's Zodiac and The Social Network, I'm looking forward to see how he could make this movie better. Because I do see some potential.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

THE INVENTION OF LYING was a 2009 movie, and it was my choice for best picture of the year, so it was nominated for - absolutely nothing!

I agree wih the blase comments about THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, it was just missing something.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can you pinpoint what it was that you think was missing from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie?

I'm just curious as I enjoyed all 3 movies in the series (1st and 3rd films more than the 2nd one). They are not a timeless masterpiece, of course, but I liked how they were not really Hollywood-y, and gave a good feel of Sweden (I was instantly transported back there). It will be interesting to see the American remake/adaptation - I wonder how much of that atmosphere, if any, will be preserved.

On another note, I cannot even begin to say how I loved How To Train Your Dragon - it's looking to be one of my favorite animated movies. If I had to compare it to Nemo, I'd say that I prefer HTTYD.

(I'm not making a list I never watch enough movies to justify it.)
    Last edited by RainInSpain; 01-04-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: sp
    If you are going through hell - keep going

I loved HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, and the nice thing was I had absolutely no expectations for the movie, in fact I thought I would probably not like it. Did I just contradict myself? Oh well. In other words, it took me completely by surprise, and I love when that happens at the movies.

Dragon Tattoo - Well, I kind of did like it, but I think what put me off was the English dubbing. It was very jarring. I prefer to watch foreign language movies with sub-titles so I can at least get the inflections in the actor's voices. I see why they did the dubbing though, because subtitles would have been onscreen such a short time it would have been difficult, or almost impossible, to read them. Also, and this is purely a personal nitpick of mine, I could not look at the girl's face whenever she was onscreen, for I find piercings extremely distasteful to observe. I'm not against them, I just don't care for them.

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

opps I didn't even hear about invention of lying till '10 so I always thought it was

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Can you pinpoint what it was that you think was missing from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movie?

I'm just curious as I enjoyed all 3 movies in the series (1st and 3rd films more than the 2nd one). They are not a timeless masterpiece, of course, but I liked how they were not really Hollywood-y, and gave a good feel of Sweden (I was instantly transported back there).
    I do think Dragon Tattoo got a little better near the end. But among the biggest issues I had with it was the pacing--it felt looooong. I don't mind slow-paced films as long as I find them engrossing; Zodiac is a good example. I felt there was too much 'everyone hates women' themes going on -- it was heavy-handed. I mean at one point Lisbeth was just walking through the subway if I remember correctly and some dude randomly ran into her. It's like the whole world was against her for some reason. And I just didn't care about the story. I'm not even sure the revelation near the end was a twist; I didn't care. I do think the actress was fantastic, though. I just didn't like the movie she was in.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Dragon Tattoo - Well, I kind of did like it, but I think what put me off was the English dubbing. It was very jarring. I prefer to watch foreign language movies with sub-titles so I can at least get the inflections in the actor's voices. I see why they did the dubbing though, because subtitles would have been onscreen such a short time it would have been difficult, or almost impossible, to read them. Also, and this is purely a personal nitpick of mine, I could not look at the girl's face whenever she was onscreen, for I find piercings extremely distasteful to observe. I'm not against them, I just don't care for them.
    I have not heard the English dubbing, but the Russian one that was used for these movies here was OK, at least I did not notice any particular problems with it. But I can very well understand how bad dubbing can ruin a movie - along with terrible translations this happens here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    I do think Dragon Tattoo got a little better near the end. But among the biggest issues I had with it was the pacing--it felt looooong. I don't mind slow-paced films as long as I find them engrossing; Zodiac is a good example. I felt there was too much 'everyone hates women' themes going on -- it was heavy-handed. I mean at one point Lisbeth was just walking through the subway if I remember correctly and some dude randomly ran into her. It's like the whole world was against her for some reason. And I just didn't care about the story. I'm not even sure the revelation near the end was a twist; I didn't care. I do think the actress was fantastic, though. I just didn't like the movie she was in.
    Interesting that you were put off by the slow pace - that's one of the things that I enjoyed. To me, the movies felt more realistic thanks to it - I guess I saw them more as a glimpse into the life of people rather than something with a plot.
    As to hating - to a great extent it's true that the world around Lisbeth was against her, with very few exceptions. So little things like someone running into her were just finishing touches. I have not noticed the gender card being played that prominently, to me it looked more like showing how society in general and specific people in particular reject or abuse someone who is not only different, but different 'in a wrong way'. Anyway, that's how I felt after reading the books and watching the movies.
    I do agree with you about Noomi Rapace - she's fantastic, and very natural in this role.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have much interest in those movie at all. They just seem like they would be alright and nothing special. I try to avoid those movies when I voluntarily watch one as they end up kind of listless after.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kluker View Post
    7.Vampires Suck
    Seriously? Like, really? Vampires Suck?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...-suck-20100826

I was surprised by how much I liked VAMPIRES SUCK. It had some classless jokes, but on the whole I found myself laughing, which I rarely do at so called comedys lately, which are just a series of bathroom and gross-out 'jokes' strung together.

I wouldn't put VS on my top 10 or 20 list, but I still enjoyed it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't watch that movie for all the weed in the world...Date Movie was seriously bad enough and I only watched that because I was sick and didn't really care. I know Twilight Sucks, I don't need to see an unfunny, unimaginative and unoriginal movie filled with current event pop culture jokes that will be irrelevant in ten years and the movie, to future movie watches, will seem even more redundant and unfunny as it does today. Problem is these piece of shit movies keep turning a profit because teenagers keep paying to see them and the studios will keep greenlighting them. Vampires suck managed to double it's money in box office so you can be rest assured another Freidburg and Seltzer shifest is on it's way this year.

Well, comedy is a funny thing. DATE MOVIE was bad, I agree.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

This was a pretty bad year for comedies. A few decent ones, nothing standing out, really. Date Night was probably comedy of the year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast