Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the better series?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • That '70s Show

18 52.94%
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer

16 47.06%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BTVSAT - Round 2: 1990s (Bracket 1)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default BTVSAT - Round 2: 1990s (Bracket 1)

That '70s Show
    vs.
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Previously on BTVSAT:

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

buffy

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Buffy!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That 70's Show !

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Wisconsin!!!!!!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Buffy !!!
    It's my nomination and it's just an amazing show.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

That 70's Show

Dumbass!
    -Red

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I think I have to vote for That 70s Show, even though I would be perfectly happy with either of these progressing.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You know what? I voted for Buffy, but I think i'm gonna have to agree with you there, Chris. Both are brilliant, I just feel more attached to Buffy because I watched it when it was on. But if That 70s Show beats it....well, I wouldn't have any complaints.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Buffy but I vote 70s Show

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I liked both but Buffy was the much better rounded out show. That 70's show was good, but very one dimensional.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I can't believe Buffy is losing.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Gay

What JB said.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Buffy.

John

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, justice is being served in round two. Go 70's show! Red Foreman will put his boot up Buffy's ass.

EDIT - wtf, it only shows one buffy but it says I typed it twice. weird.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

buffy
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    I liked both but Buffy was the much better rounded out show. That 70's show was good, but very one dimensional.
    I don't know what you've been smoking, but where can I get some ?

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    I don't know what you've been smoking, but where can I get some ?
    I was thinking the same thing, actually. That 70's Show deals with quite a wide range of issues and many of them is a fairly unique way, or at least I think so.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Like I said before I love Buffy but the show was the same thing every episode the only extremely good one was Once more with Feeling.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The thing I liked about The '70s Show was how they managed to string out four years for an entire decade with the same actors.

It was like M.A.S.H., only entertaining.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by kluker View Post
    Like I said before I love Buffy but the show was the same thing every episode the only extremely good one was Once more with Feeling.
    Gosh, I couldn't disagree more with the first part of this sentence which says that all Buffy epi's were the same ... and being a HUGE Buffy fan ... if the first part of this sentence were true, then OMWF wouldn't work. It's the huge reveals and wonderful movement of character that make OMWF such a great episode. Yes, it's singing and fun, but there are giant plot points at work through the whole episode.

Along the Path of the Beam pookie is on a distinguished road pookie's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Buffy can't be beaten for character development and addressing issues of folks young and old alike albeit surrounded by an atypical set of circumstances that are probably a bit more difficult for one to relate. That 70s Show feels comfortable, familiar but lacking the depth and broader scope of Buffy. Buffy deals with issues ranging from the angst of young adult hood to mortality. I have to admit I did not watch Buffy when it was first broadcast because I thought it was just a vampire show. I have since watched it in syndication and realize it is much more...it's a very clever way to present issues we'll all deal with in our lives. Buffy wins. Hands down.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kluker View Post
    Gosh, I couldn't disagree more with the first part of this sentence which says that all Buffy epi's were the same ... and being a HUGE Buffy fan ... if the first part of this sentence were true, then OMWF wouldn't work. It's the huge reveals and wonderful movement of character that make OMWF such a great episode. Yes, it's singing and fun, but there are giant plot points at work through the whole episode.
    I stopped watching Buffy when I was like 13 (in the second season somewhere) because every episode followed a template. The vampires convene, make up a plan, Buffy has high school drama, talks with Gilles in his library, Seth Green says something funny, Vampire attacks OH No VAMPIRE then Buffy wins, Vampires are all sad and angry at Buffy, Angel is mysterious, Alyson Hannigan is all 'wow, everything turned out okay!' and they go back to the high school dance and episode ends. I just couldn't watch it anymore. The awful acting surely didn't help. Best part about Buffy was the theme song. I still watch That 70's Show and while it's forumlaic, it actually entertains me.

My Mood
    Gay

Buffy is anything but formulaic. Maybe the first season, but honestly from there it just grew. It was a commentary on today's society and youth and was about a group of kids in High School. You're commenting on the settings and generalities. You know, LOST took place on an island ... every week, they're on an island, they're fighting, they're trying to get home, etc. It's the same show every week. See? Your analysis doesn't stand up... especially since you stopped watching.

The actual issues and family drama and characters of Buffy were much richer and layered than you're indicating.

Sincerely, if all you got out of Buffy was what you wrote above, you need to take another look. Or try looking with the eyes of someone older than 13.

If for nothing else, the dead on writing and pop culture references in Buffy were out of this world great.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pookie View Post
    Buffy can't be beaten for character development and addressing issues of folks young and old alike albeit surrounded by an atypical set of circumstances that are probably a bit more difficult for one to relate. That 70s Show feels comfortable, familiar but lacking the depth and broader scope of Buffy. Buffy deals with issues ranging from the angst of young adult hood to mortality. I have to admit I did not watch Buffy when it was first broadcast because I thought it was just a vampire show. I have since watched it in syndication and realize it is much more...it's a very clever way to present issues we'll all deal with in our lives. Buffy wins. Hands down.
    Buffy can't be beaten for Character development?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast