Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower Twins, Twinners & Reincarnations (Spoilers all around!!!)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Childe 007 View Post
    Marten/ Walter/ Flagg is a bit trickier because they were seemingly merged by King into one character in The Dark Tower. I have said before - though - that I think it entirely plausible they began as seperate entities.
    Let's look for a moment at the meaning of ka-tet: One from Many. That can also apply to demons - ie Legion. One demon composed of many. And this is a name that is used in connection with just about all of King's evil magicians

It is possible (and I say even plausible) that as each of the wizards sent against Roland were defeated - their physical and mystical being was obsorbed by the next. So Marten is consumed/ possessed by Walter who is in turn consumed by Flagg. The ka's (or spirits) of each remaining in the single host body - Legion.
    Walter Paddick is actually the original form of Marten/Flagg (as we learn in The Dark Tower). He was born as a human to a miller in Delain. However, after running away from home at 13 he uses and abuses magic until he achieves his almost immortal, shape shifting status.

Marten Broadcloak, Walter O'Dim, Richard Fannin, Rudin Filaro, Randall Flagg and the Walkin' Dude are all aliases of Walter's. He can change his face aswell as his name, and can also travel through other worlds and time. He is often defeated, but never physically killed until he meets Mordred, so rather than being absorbed by a new entity, he simply shapeshifts and moves on.

(Reference: The Dark Tower Complete Concordance.)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was inclined to think the same. Walter must be one of those axis figures who can't have Twinners.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Or is his own.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

By the way Lisa, I think you're spot on.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow...thanks honey Now, buy me a drink bitch!

How about some sewer mud?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Why thank you Mrs Kersh, that would do nicely

I'll gladly buy you a drink...Dasani? Poland Spring? Aquafina?

For me it seems that when Walter uses one of his aliases it is in some cases more than a meer alias but a whole personality change, he becomes that person...that is why he is Legion, he is a demon with MPD.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Spot on yourself!

Er, aren't those all types of bottled water? You know it's beer for me or you don't even get to first base

:coffee:

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Spot on yourself!
    *bows*

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Er, aren't those all types of bottled water? You know it's beer for me or you don't even get to first base
    Its funny that you would have to ask if they're brands of bottled water..its obvious you're so unfamiliar with anything non-alcoholic that you would have to question it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And yet, sadly that's true.

"Wait, those lack alcohol don't they??" *faints*

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Walter must be one of those axis figures who can't have Twinners.
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Or is his own.
    For me it seems that when Walter uses one of his aliases it is in some cases more than a meer alias but a whole personality change, he becomes that person...that is why he is Legion, he is a demon with MPD.
    I really like the line of thinking from these quotes. I believe Walter is special, I just see him having the ability to consume/possess his personalities, which I believe are his Twinners. Does that make sense?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it is very much as if he completely becomes someone else. Not like a conman assuming a role, but more - as CK says - asserting a whole new personality as someone with a MPD would do.

I agree, he really was quite a unique character.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know where I took this phrase - axis figure - probably came to me from the Tower, and, very likely, from the level deceitful dreams come from - but the more I think of it, the more I [probably erroneously] like it. Roland is an axis figure, too. You can't imagine him having twinners, can you? even though Sai King hinted they looked like twins, they weren't.

(I'm one step away from saying that in some respect Walter came the closest to be Roland's twinner... but that's what comes from talking first, and thinking next. I mean, I don't really think I think so. But they are both unique, both stand alone, and, you know, the first (= last) line of the saga...)

Country
    Country Flag

I see Roland and Jack as similar figures, with no twinners. I don't see Walter that way.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, there are some similarities between Jack and Roland. Although Jack was more ready to make friends than Roland (even if he didn't always fully open up to them).

Country
    Country Flag

that axis thing that keeps haunting me, it's not only about twinners. It's about the replicas of people in various versions of the same worlds. We know there are many Jakes and Eddies, but, I suspect, not Rolands or Walters. I am not sure about Jack. I'm re-reading Black House now, and may be more positive when I have finished. So far nothing prevents me from thinking there must be other Jacks in other Wisconsins.

Country
    Country Flag

Multiple Wisconsins....*shudders*

Except for the Packers, of course.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Multiple Wisconsins....*shudders*
    )
    You think in some of those Wisconsins the Brewers still play in the American League?

As for the actual topic, I see Jack as similar in nature to Roland or Walter in being without twinners. I see Jack's "flipping" ability as something very close to Roland's drawing, only Jack is drawing himself. On the other hand, it's possible that there are multiple Jack's but that perhaps there is a "Keystone Jack" who is able to be aware of the others? Roland I still believe to be a singular entity.

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

Cuthbert handles the things such a different way. He respects and loves Roland such a different way. He didn't have a black monkey. And so on and so on...

Letti, I am quite worried here.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

Yes, he loved him in that "special" way that some boys have.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Yes, he loved him in that "special" way that some boys have.
    That'd explain why Bert resented Susan.

Right! There was more going on there than just concern over the mission it was obvious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast