Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Issues with King's writing *please mark spoilers

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Issues with King's writing *please mark spoilers

I know we all LOVE his writing (as do I especially), but you all must have some "pet" peeves with his books/stories that we coud air out here.

Personally, with some exception, I think he has trouble ending a novel. Not always, but sometimes his books feel like a race to the end and then..............................Uh Oh!!

UTD comes to mind, and while it was a novel concept, it seemed more suited (as an ending) to a short story.

This is your thread to nit-pick and discuss........................................... .......THE MASTER!!!
    Last edited by sarah; 12-04-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Title edited by sarah
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I'd like to uppercut him in the junk for the end of Cell.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I can see that!!! Although maybe not as graphically!!! LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't his biggest fan when he
    Spoiler:
    killed off Jake
    in TDT...twice.

A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I could never understand how his wife, Tabitha, could lay in a bed next to him at night after "Gerald's Game", but what do I know????

LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a fan of when he makes up nonsense words and uses them over and over again, a la Lisey's Story.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Like Babyluv? Bool? Bad gunky?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely the fate of
    Spoiler:
    Flagg
    in DT VII. Really soured my view of the series.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Definitely the fate of
    Spoiler:
    Flagg
    in DT VII. Really soured my view of the series.
    Yup! I agree with that. Flagg...
    Spoiler:
    ...died way too easy for being such a bad ass. And then, to make matters worse, King had Patrick ERASE the Crimson King?!?! What the f**k?
    Both of those should have been epic battles in my opinion. and if he had to write a Vol. VIII to do it, so be it.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

great thread idea, Merlin. You're alright, even if you do like the yankees.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

great idea for a thread

I have a lot of complaints, mainly regarding King's writing style, which - unlike the story - I often find annoying, cliched, overusing the same devices etc. What Erin said, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

My main beef is how he gets into the minds of the most insidious examples of human nature--I don't even want to READ about them, much less know what they're thinking. Then again, maybe that's for the same reason upstanding respectable Victorian people wanted to kill Mr. Hyde....

Other than that, inconsistencies in narrative bug me, and there was no shortage of those in The Dark Tower, favorite work or no.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I am trying to come up with some "pet" peeves but I can't.
    Once in a blue moon I feel he writes some stuff into the story because he thinks that's what the constant reader would like to read. That's how I felt when
    Dumakey spoiler

Roland would have understood.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My pet peeve is that he rambles to get the story going....I still haven't finished UTD because of it....and I bought it as a Christmas gift to myself. That is how long it has taken me to read half the book.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I can see that!!! Although maybe not as graphically!!! LOL

What you don't understand though is to Chris an uppercut to the junk is a term of endearment.

I have a beef with the apostrophe in this thread title.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a beef with the apostrophe in this thread title.
    I think this is funny............although you are right the apostrophe does not belong.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    great thread idea, Merlin. You're alright, even if you do like the yankees.

LOL, thanks Mr. Blaze!!! Somebody has to love them, right? LOL

To Brice:

Oops!!!!! Can you fix it? I don't believe I know how!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll edit the title of the thread.

For me, I don't like when King makes you love a side character and then kills them. You know the whole time too. Like in Black House. You know it is coming and you try not to love them but you do and then they die.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    I'll edit the title of the thread.

For me, I don't like when King makes you love a side character and then kills them. You know the whole time too. Like in Black House. You know it is coming and you try not to love them but you do and then they die.
    Thanks Sarah, though just to be picky maybe we should drop the "my" and let it be "Issues with King's writing"? Good call on the "spoilers too. Sorry I missed that the first time around.

As far as your post. I know what you mean like when he

Spoiler:
    Killed the DJ off. He was a great character and I hated to see him go, but you just knew in advance he wasn't gonna make it to the dance!!! LOL Though he did "die well".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Sarah, though just to be picky maybe we should drop the "my" and let it be "Issues with King's writing"?

done

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You "Da Bomb" Ninja-Girl!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that I think about it, what was your problem with "Beef"? LOL

Just Kidding!!!!!!!

I have a "beef" when he makes bad deals, like when "The Stand" came out or, when he sold the rights to "The Shining". I know he was pissed at Kubrick, but if he loved it that much which I believe he did, he could have lived without the money to make sure it was "right". Lets face it the guy is a marketing genius for his works, he could do it at his discretion, no? Even given the time frame.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I find it a bit annoying when he writes something like "And that was that last time he saw her (or him)." or something like "He (or her) would be dead in two hours." That worked to maximun effectiveness in THE MIST, which was (correct me if I'm wrong), the first time he did that. It actually sent chills up my spine when I read that he never saw his wife again, as at that time I had absoulutely no idea what that story was about. But King has pulled that gag over and over again and it has totally lost it's thrill on me.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

he does that as far back as It, that I can tell.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree so much with what's being said here!

Whether it's the Tic-toc man, Flagg, Mordred, CK or the Calla Bryn Sturgis, Algul Siento battle, SK generaly sucks at making a nice climax! He's the building kind, not the destroying it seems...

I didn't believe my eyes when I read Mordred's last stand! Such a great character down to kill one poor bumbler! And the "we escpaed Ka" (or not) thing insn't enough of an excuse for me.

Everytime the events, so slowly and brilliantly brought together, should end in a brutal burst of fire and death, it's not good. Even the battle at the end of Wizard and Glass is a bit dull, regarding the rest of the book!

Is it the same for the other books he'd written? I'm not talking precisely about the ending, but about the "climax" in general.
    Last edited by Delacroix; 11-04-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast