Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Favorite Books

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    The book is so much more involved and interesting than the movie Letti. The movie was really a showcase for special effects. Timeline is also a great book.

Rjeso - who is the Merlin trilogy by?
    I can't remember either, but I remeber reading it, and it was great
    could it be Mary Stewart? If The Hollow Hills is part of the trilogy, then it's her.
    Yeah, this is the one I'm talking about. I'll have to check yours out now, Storyslinger. I love the Arthurian mythos.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    8. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton (I read this in 5th grade and have loved it ever since).
    Oh, yeah. This book was sooooooo much better then the movie.
    Really? I think I need to check it out then, don't know why I haven't already seeing as how Sphere by Crichton is one of my all time favorite books.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfWesternesse View Post
    A top 10 eh! Damn hard, but here's my best shot at it (for today!)....

1. Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    2. The Dark Tower - Stephen King
    3. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson
    4. The Stand - Stephen King
    5. The Mote in Gods Eye + The Moat around Murchesons Eye - Niven, Pournelle & Barnes
    6. IT - Stephen King
    7. Magician trilogy - Raymond E Feist
    8. A Song of Ice and Fire - GRR Martin
    9. Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    10. Harry Potter - JK Rowling

&... just missed out.....

Dune (1st book) - Frank Herbert
    Empire trilogy - Raymend Feist & Janny Wurts
    Hitchhikers Guide etc... - Douglas Adams
    Insomnia - Stephen King
    Saga of the Exiles - Julian May
    but not the gripping hand? those were near misses on my list, too.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    You're so right. It was a million times better. I've read the book probably 10 times.
    May I ask why this book is so good?
    I mean I saw nothing speciel in the movie. It was okay. Blood, bitings, big runnings and fear.
    What's more about the book?
    I really am interested in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    The book is so much more involved and interesting than the movie Letti. The movie was really a showcase for special effects. Timeline is also a great book.
    Like Lisa said, the book gets far more involved than the movie. It explores the science behind how they re-created the dinosaurs better than the movie. Also, the characters are more exciting and I felt like the book was far more suspenseful than the movie. They just kinda went the "Big special effects and lots of blood!!!" route for the movie in my opinion.

Yeah, the book had a lot more moments in it that were more "Oh crap!" suspenseful, instead of always T-Rex in your face. Of course the T-Rex is there too. but oooohhhh those Raptors....

omg, the raptors. they scared the shit out of me in the book.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sarajeaniebeanie
    I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions about this series.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

It always takes me forever to get around to doing these lists, because it is so hard to choose. This list probably changes from hour to hour, as well.

10. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    9. 1984 by George Orwell
    8. The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.(I haven't re-read these in ages, but they were a huge part of my falling in love with fantasy literature in middleschool)
    7. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin
    6. Harry Potter
    5. Theif of Always by Clive Barker
    4. The Dark Tower
    3. Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
    2. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
    1. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarajeaniebeanie
    I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions about this series.
    um....that wasn't on my list.

my list is on the first page.

chris, your #s 8 and 5 nearly made my list as well.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Well excuse the hell out of me..my statement still stands.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

i read, like, the first three of that series and then said "fuck it."

maybe i'll pick it up again sometime, but i doubt it.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post

Read The Sword of Truth instead.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Well thats a definite big strike against.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post

send it to me and i will.

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Well thats a definite big strike against.
    go look at my list. that's all stuff that everyone should be reading.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post

send it to me and i will.
    Haha. You can get all but the last one that isn't out yet it paperback, so they are pretty cheap. Of course, there's 11 of them so far, so it'd keep you busy for a while. It is really an amazing story, though.

yeah, erin has been talking about it for a long time.

She put off reading them forever, though I kept suggesting them. Now she's all about them. haha.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm counting DT series as one book. So, in un-perfect order (except #1) mine are:
    1. The Dark Tower
    2. The Talisman
    3. Eyes Of The Dragon
    4. Hearts In Atlantis
    5. The Dead Zone
    6. Rose Madder
    7. Night Shift
    8. Desperation
    9. On Writing
    10. Gone With The Wind (seems out of place, huh?)

The Dark Tower is always #1

really? gone with the wind is your only non-SK book? interesting.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

really? gone with the wind is your only non-SK book? interesting.

I've read a lot of good books that weren't SK, don't get me wrong. But Gone With The Wind is the only one I've read more than once.

Gone with the Wind is a wonderful book. It's great on audio too.

It's got what I always look for: an easy flow. Plenty of dialogue, not too much description. Good stuff.

Have you listened to it?

No, but I'm guessing I should.

You guessed right. The lady that does the reading is one of the best I've ever heard.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast