Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who would you like to have as a teacher?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cort

29 54.72%
  • Vannay

24 45.28%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cort VS. Vannay

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    I would've wanted someone Vannay-like to push me, to do better.
    I feel the same way. Exactly. And others had more.. not fair.
    I don't say I didn't have any cool teacher. I did. But not this Vannay type.
    I don't think most people did have a Vannay type. That kind of one to one instruction is pretty high dollar.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    I would've wanted someone Vannay-like to push me, to do better.
    I feel the same way. Exactly. And others had more.. not fair.
    I don't say I didn't have any cool teacher. I did. But not this Vannay type.
    I don't think most people did have a Vannay type. That kind of one to one instruction is pretty high dollar.
    Yeah, I guess so but Jean and Linda had more so I couldn't help but feeling envious.

Roland would have understood.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

meh...In the right public schools it happens. I had one... Mr. Schumann. I like would have never continued writing poetry without his constant prompting.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

Cort.

It'd suck for a long time, being beaten black and blue every day and verbally degraded. But you'd come out worth more than any regular man, a true gunslinger. ..assuming you don't get sent west.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Shume View Post
    Cort.

It'd suck for a long time, being beaten black and blue every day and verbally degraded. But you'd come out worth more than any regular man, a true gunslinger. ..assuming you don't get sent west.
    That's what disgusts and repels me most about the whole gunslinging idea. (I know I said it before, and anyway it is not for this thread, but you worded it so perfectly that I couldn't help butting in)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for Cort as it was my gut feeling but I fear for what day to day tutelage under Cort would be like aside from the beating!!

Maybe Cort's rough coaching was to put fire in the potential gunslinger's bellies and maybe a little hatred for Cort to give them the balls to challenge him with the stakes being so high? Maybe?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    meh...In the right public schools it happens. I had one... Mr. Schumann. I like would have never continued writing poetry without his constant prompting.
    He did a great job I must say.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    He did a great job I must say.
    hear, hear!

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

How and why does that disgust you Jean?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Shume View Post
    How and why does that disgust you Jean?
    This whole idea of Ubermensch is for me unpalatable. There's been a long conversation somewhere, about gunslingers and their role, where I expanded on it, I wouldn't like to lead the present thread off-topic.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Where is this thread?

Country
    Country Flag

Where is this thread?
    Here

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh I remember now!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Where is this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Where is this thread?
    Here
    No, it is here.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd have to go with Vannay. I'd get tired of a self-aggrandizing sadist like Cort pretty quickly; being beaten for not being able to count a perfect minute with my eyes closed seems like an insane reaction to an pointless and humiliating challenge. If a dude like Cort was running around in our world, he'd probably either end up as a professional torturer for the mob, a psychotic vigilante sniping immigrants on the boarder, or a drunken Jeopardy enthusiast.

In fact, now that I think of it, I'd rather have anyone else as a teacher than Cort. What an asshole. I'm surprised it took as long as it did for somebody to poison the bastard.
    "I serve only one masta: DAAKNESS" - Peter Boil, Swashbuckler

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is a difficult question.

In a general sense, if I were a tabula rasa I would certainly choose Vannay, because I think brains and emotions go before muscles, fighting skills and general toughness. I myself have definitely had more Vannay-like influences in my life.

If I had to say what kind of teacher I could use right now, that would be Cort, to teach me a bit of ruthlessness (make me a corporate warrior ).
    I don't see him as pointlessly sadistic - tough times call for tough teachers, these boys were being trained to become fighters, so in a sense they needed to be tempered like steel. I'm not sure a wimp would make a good warrior or be able to lead by example. Yes, I'm exaggerating here - not everyone who has not been beaten up is a wuss (far from that), but that's our perception not theirs.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Babymordred121 View Post
    I'd have to go with Vannay. I'd get tired of a self-aggrandizing sadist like Cort pretty quickly; being beaten for not being able to count a perfect minute with my eyes closed seems like an insane reaction to an pointless and humiliating challenge. If a dude like Cort was running around in our world, he'd probably either end up as a professional torturer for the mob, a psychotic vigilante sniping immigrants on the boarder, or a drunken Jeopardy enthusiast.

In fact, now that I think of it, I'd rather have anyone else as a teacher than Cort. What an asshole. I'm surprised it took as long as it did for somebody to poison the bastard.
    I couldn't disagree more. I think if Corn was running in our world he would be a martial art teacher or something similar. He would still teach children how to stand and be true. Don't misunderstand me, I wouldn't like to have him as a teacher because I am sure he would break my soul, I am not strong enough. But I think he was a good teacher for gunslingers.

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that he did a good job of stripping children of their humanity and reforging them into dispassionate killing machines. Besides that, he was kind of a one-trick pony.
    Don't get me wrong; people like Cort have had their uses. George Patton was pretty similar in a lot of ways. But there's a pretty big difference between teaching and commanding.
    "I serve only one masta: DAAKNESS" - Peter Boil, Swashbuckler

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Babymordred121 View Post
    I agree that he did a good job of stripping children of their humanity and reforging them into dispassionate killing machines. Besides that, he was kind of a one-trick pony.
    Don't get me wrong; people like Cort have had their uses. George Patton was pretty similar in a lot of ways. But there's a pretty big difference between teaching and commanding.
    I don't think that all the gunslingers turned out to be as emotionless as Roland. There was Cuthbert and Alain for example. They were taught by the same teachers and they were so different from Roland. so IMHO it wasn't Cort who made Roland the cruelness man he had been for long before he built-up his new tet. In fact it was Roland himself who created himself.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

... In fact it was Roland himself who created himself.
    Exactly. Cort (and Vannay for that matter) could work with the material that they got, trying their best to instill their teachings in their students, but individual inclinations and dispositions should not/could not be disregarded.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Letti and Rain. Cort and Vannay worked with that they had, and I have a strong inkling that Roland was as emotionally detached as a pre-adolescent as he was during his young adulthood/adulthood. Also, do you think that Roland would have survived the onslaught at Tull if Cort had ruffled his hair and put a band-aid every time he had a booboo ? He wasn't training bureaucrats or politicians, he was training knights meant to survive in the most dire of circumstances, able to overcome the most extreme contingencies. Cort did what was necessary to ensure that they would adapt and adapt well to any situation. Plus, Roland himself named Cort his lifes greatest teacher, that's got to count for something right ?

Typing this has made me realize that I wish we had known a great deal more about both Cort and Vannay, especially the latter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3