Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who would you like to have as a teacher?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cort

29 54.72%
  • Vannay

24 45.28%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cort VS. Vannay

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Cort VS. Vannay

Who would you like to have as a teacher?
    The one who can teach you how to die.
    Or the one who can teach you how to live.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

cort kicks major ass end of story

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted Cort because not every man knows how to die well.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And if you don't live well can you still die well?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it all depends on what you're after. I think a Gunslinger would say Cort because he's not expected to be a philosopher or try and explain the mysteries of the universe, only to survive and kill quickly and efficiently.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

For me it would be neither.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I bet

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    And if you don't live well can you still die well?
    I just think learning to die well is harder than learning to live well.

But I have always had a nack for being really happy.

Michael Jackson RolandDerRevolvermann is on a distinguished road RolandDerRevolvermann's Avatar

Cort reminds me of my english teacher.... and look! It worked!!
    So I vote for Cort...
    Lange Tage und angenehme Nächte...

This is my Community + international forum for international soccer fans

Wir sind Weltmeisterinnen

Country
    Country Flag

"Every man dies but not every man really lives."

In my small universe in my mind people who live well will die well. Death is not something unique. It happens. Just the end of a short journey. Without drums. In silence.

You can't die well without living well - or that's how I see.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree, and I love the Braveheart quote.

I just already know how to live well so from that perspective, it would be okay to be trained on the other end.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cort is a real man.
    I chose him because I'd want to be a hard-ass gunslinger. Vannay was cool too but I've already got brains and I know how to read so I can learn more myself.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Cort, he's the man, or was

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted for Cort. I like anyone who can fight.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

If I can't vote for Los' I'm not voting! Now theres a teacher!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You're all mental! You want to be bashed on the head with a stick and be referred to as "maggot" all day long?!

I voted for Vannay because I find that sort of discourse more stimulating...plus I would totally get my ass whupped on a regular basis by Cort, as I have no discipline

Country
    Country Flag

We really are sisters in our souls, Lisa.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know!

Country
    Country Flag

When I start to think that I am the only who... you appear.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't vote here. The answer completely depends on the subject I'm taught. If it's academic, it's Vannay; if it's skills, it's Cort. (and, dear ladies, if you have no discipline at all, you won't be eligible for gunslinging anyway - it's after all military kind of occupation - so Cort wouldn't be your teacher in any case)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sadly true - Roland would despair of me I'm afraid

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

if it's skills, it's Cort. (and, dear ladies, if you have no discipline at all, you won't be eligible for gunslinging anyway - it's after all military kind of occupation - so Cort wouldn't be your teacher in any case)
    Aaah, but Susannah eventually became a gunslinger. And yes, I realize Cort was not her teacher. But still. I would like to think the civilization of Gilead would come around.

And, speaking from personal experience, I have seen women whip the shit out of men. So gender means nothing.

I'd pay good money to take a shot at Cort. He'd probably still clean my clock, but it would be worth a try.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    if it's skills, it's Cort. (and, dear ladies, if you have no discipline at all, you won't be eligible for gunslinging anyway - it's after all military kind of occupation - so Cort wouldn't be your teacher in any case)
    Aaah, but Susannah eventually became a gunslinger. And yes, I realize Cort was not her teacher. But still. I would like to think the civilization of Gilead would come around.

And, speaking from personal experience, I have seen women whip the shit out of men. So gender means nothing.
    I didn't refer to gender at all. Susannah was a gunslinger; my wife would make a great one, too. My main point was discipline: it's something that Susannah had to learn. It has nothing to do with refusal to think for oneself (as many people seem to believe), but it's understanding that military occupation has its pecularities. Back to gender, though: at the times when Cort was teaching, female gunslingers were something inconceivable... so, here again, he would have never taught you...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

"Clean my clock" what an excellent expression!

My main point was discipline: it's something that Susannah had to learn. It has nothing to do with refusal to think for oneself (as many people seem to believe), but it's understanding that military occupation has its pecularities
    Thats not really how I think of discipline, although I think "refusal to think for oneself" is often party to a lack of discipline.

Personally, I have no problem with being responsible for and thinking for myself - when I said I lacked discipline I meant I'm terrible at things like time keeping, being orderly...the sort of stuff I consider boring (Which makes it sound like I'm contradicting myself when I say I'm responsible for myself - but I always take responsibility for my short comings aswell as my strong points.)

Although, like Eddie, I'm sure Roland would find the right angle from which to bring out my inner gunslinger/disciplinarian

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Back to gender, though: at the times when Cort was teaching, female gunslingers were something inconceivable... so, here again, he would have never taught you...
    True, but since that was not a requirement of the original question, I still stand by my answer.

And, isn't one of the main points of the military to follow orders? I know you should never blindly follow orders, but I would think (and correct me if I'm wrong, I've never been in the military) that too many people questioning authority in the foxhole would be a bad thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast