2 22.22%
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

2 22.22%
  • Purple Place for Dying

1 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Book Club's next book

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Club's next book

Hey Chaps and Chapettes

I am thinking of taking in new nominations for the next book for discussion? Hopefully get a few names in over the next few weeks - and then look to discuss it in the new year? how does that sit with you all?

the books nominated are;
    • naked lunch
    • three muskateers
    • rosemary's baby
    • walden two
    • gone
    • room
    • one flew over the cuckoo's nest
    • purple place for dying
    Last edited by candy; 05-15-2011 at 08:36 AM.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

naked lunch by burroughs
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I make it my New Year's Resolution to join in for 2011!

I nominate The Three Musketeers, because I've had it on my shelf forever and have not yet read it

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

how do you mean, haven't read? you never read The Three Musketeers? Is it what you're trying to say?

::disbelief::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to put this in really small writing so you can't read it but, yes. I have never read The Three Musketeers

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::shocked bear::

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Rosemary's Baby - Ira Levin
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

seconded

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Eh...I wasn't that into Rosemary's Baby.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    me neither
    I think that's because I knew what was gonna happen before starting it, it's such a well known story that everybody knows what's gonn happen

I have no doubt that when it first came out it scared the hell outta unsuspecting readers

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gee, how about Brave New World again?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah that was a popular thread

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I was surprised by your reaction to it. I think we need to definitely do something more character-driven next.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

any more ideas for the first book of 2011?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, if you guys want to continue with the fiction of sociological themes, I think a good next step might be to look at another side. Walden Two by B.F. Skinner is a utopian novel largely antithetical to Brave New World. It's pretty polemical, and I must mention that I partly suggest it because I'd enjoy more opportunity to argue against it, but it's certainly thought-provoking.

On the other hand, if we're ready to move into some other direction, I could mention some other ideas.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    And it was waayyyyy too young for you either!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, if you guys want to continue with the fiction of sociological themes, I think a good next step might be to look at another side. Walden Two by B.F. Skinner is a utopian novel largely antithetical to Brave New World. It's pretty polemical, and I must mention that I partly suggest it because I'd enjoy more opportunity to argue against it, but it's certainly thought-provoking.

On the other hand, if we're ready to move into some other direction, I could mention some other ideas.
    i'm easy whichever direction, i am enjoying reading these novels that if i am honest i probabley would not have chosen.

And i am also loving the discussion they provoke

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

***BUMP**

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    how do you mean, haven't read? you never read The Three Musketeers? Is it what you're trying to say?

I don't think I've read the actual novel of The Three Musketeers Beartagnan. (I've seen the films and read a small comic adaptation a while back, so I have a good idea of the plot though.)

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Naked Lunch?

oh please please please I want other folks to experience it's goodness

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

I don't think I've read the actual novel of The Three Musketeers Beartagnan. (I've seen the films and read a small comic adaptation a while back, so I have a good idea of the plot though.)
    it's BearAthos

Brain, the plot is nothing! I don't know if you read French, or how good the English translation is, but I swear the book is absolutely brilliant!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey peoples

Its been a while, with one thing and another. But I now have a place to live and somewhere to plug my computer into - all a girl needs

So now I just need to kick start this here book club. - Its open to all so anyone with a nomination of a book you wish to read just throw it in the mix, so far we have
    1. Naked Lunc - Burrow
    2. Three Musketeers - Dumas
    3. Rosemarys baby - Lewin (seconded)
    4. Walden Two - Skinner

For me, i would love to discuss the books Gone - Micheal Grant.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Do to the delay in restarting this, i am only going to this up for say another week and a bit? and then a final decision can be made by 14th May?

Country
    Country Flag

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't usually participate in book club discussions, but I'd like to nominate "Room" by Emma Donoghue. This is the story of a five-year-old boy, told in the first person, about how his entire world is contained within the four walls of the 11 square foot Room with his mother.

Here are the Amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Room-Novel-Emm...283155&s=books

A very disturbing book indeed!

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast