Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The King Illustrations Catalog

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Of course, this could be because no-one looks at their copies closely and notices the differences.

John
    I think that is an excellent point and probably accounts for the sometimes great deals. And some sellers (buyers too) aren't aware that differences exist.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Of course, this could be because no-one looks at their copies closely and notices the differences.

John
    I would agree. Most of the booksellers on Abe I asked knew anything about the different states.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Also, I recieved today my cheap n used UK pocket ed of Nightmares n Dreamscapes, and before the story "the house of mapple street" there is an illustration...
    its weird to put an illustration for ONE story in a collection book...
    no real mention of the illustrator... is written "photoset by Rowland Phototypesettings Ltd"... but is it it, or is it the picture by Tabitha King?

Do other pocket editions have illustrations? (these one is from Hodder & Stoughton)
    Should we include it in the catalog or not? coz is weird honnestly..
    This illustration is one way to tell if you have a 1st or 2nd state edition of the H&S hardback.

On the first state the picture faces page 448, and on the second state it faces page 433.

Illustration from The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg 1994.

It should go in the illustrations catalogue.

ok i'll do ASAP
    thanks for all the infos

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the thread about N&D will be created soon

the pictures that were missing (christine, colorado chadbourne, dolores, from a buick, talisman) have been reuploaded.. thanks again to MrRabbitTrick

Country
    Country Flag

i ordered Penguin versions of:
    Misery & The Breathing Method

i'll scann the illustrations as soon as possible (and probably get rid of the books just after lol)

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

The illustrator for Dolores Claiborne is Bill Russell.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    The illustrator for Dolores Claiborne is Bill Russell.
    Thanks for the information.
    I edited the listing to include the information.

Country
    Country Flag

thanks

I've always been interested in, and trying to keep track, on the illustrators/artists for King's work, so it's great with this site.
    However, what about all the illustrated magazine/anthology appearances, for stories and non-fiction in Cavalier, et al? I know the names for some of them.
    Wouldn't it be cool to add all these, too? I'm already drooling by the thought...
    If someone has some of these mags, that is.

I have a document where I have the names for all the illustrators I know of. If it has interest, I could post it here, and if someone has the actual magazines, then add the illustrations?

Country
    Country Flag

well... I didnt want to create a thread for each magazine, coz IMO its too much and is usually only one illustration and or cover...
    i dont really see the point (personnally).. or maybe thats just that the current one is corresponding to the catalog as i was seeing it...

but maybe a thread with a list of illustrated magazines which have more than 1 illustrations?
    and a thread with maybe magazines with only 1 illustrations?
    or.. a new thread per short stories which is illustrated somewhere, and listing the illustrations available for that story published in magazine 1,2,3...
    i just DONT imagine a new thread per magazine...

the only thing, will be that we will need that supercollectors to check it (i dont own any english-language magazines...)
    but... at least there will be stuff to look for and the catalog will not just be waiting.... new challenge?

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    I have a document where I have the names for all the illustrators I know of. If it has interest, I could post it here, and if someone has the actual magazines, then add the illustrations?
    what does it includes?
    novels (limited editions and "normal editions", magazines...)?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    well... I didnt want to create a thread for each magazine, coz IMO its too much and is usually only one illustration and or cover...
    i dont really see the point (personnally).. or maybe thats just that the current one is corresponding to the catalog as i was seeing it...

but maybe a thread with a list of illustrated magazines which have more than 1 illustrations?
    and a thread with maybe magazines with only 1 illustrations?
    or.. a new thread per short stories which is illustrated somewhere, and listing the illustrations available for that story published in magazine 1,2,3...
    i just DONT imagine a new thread per magazine...

the only thing, will be that we will need that supercollectors to check it (i dont own any english-language magazines...)
    but... at least there will be stuff to look for and the catalog will not just be waiting.... new challenge?

?
    Why not just have one thread to collect any and all magazine illustrations? Just list in the respective post any info (what magazine and story) in the post along with the pic/s?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

thats fine with me :-)

that way it will separate what i will call the "main illustrations", and the others :-)
    even though some of the "others" are interesting, such as Wrighton's Before the play

i dont have any material about the magazines, so someone will have to do it :-)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I do have some, but no scanner. I suppose I could take pics of those I do have.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Excellent idea, Brice. I have a few of the mags/anthologies with illus myself, so I will also try and add them here (not sure how to upload, I'm not so technical, but I'll scan them, and maybe e-mail them to someone who knows how to attach them here?).

herbertwest, the list/document covers ALL illustrated works. It's not totally complete, since I know of a few stories where I don't know the name of the illustrators.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I love how this is coming together, the more info out here, the better imo
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Just for fun's sake, here it is, and feel free to correct the stuff I might have gotten wrong (it's still in progress):

(NOTE: Almost everything here is in a random order)

ILLUSTRATORS/ARTISTS FOR KING'S WORK:

Berni Wrightson: Creepshow (with Michele Wrightson; she was apparently the colorist), Cycle of the Werewolf, "Heroes for Hope Starring the X-Men," The Stand (the complete and uncut edition), "Before the Play" (the abridged version in TV Guide), and also one of the illustrators for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of The Talisman. Wrightson did six acryl paintings for Cemetery Dance Publications’ limited edition of From a Buick 8. Wrightson also did the artwork for Wolves of the Calla, as well.

Walter Simonson: "The Lawnmower Man" (Bizarre Adventures comic version), "The Blue Air Compressor" (in Heavy Metal).

Michael Whelan: The Gunslinger, "The Little Sisters of Eluria" (in Legends). Whelan also did the cover for the Phantasia Press limited edition of Firestarter. Whelan also did the artwork for the seventh and final volume of The Dark Tower, simply called The Dark Tower. Whelan provided new (and very cool and gorgeous) artwork for Donald M. Grant's limited edition titled The Little Sisters of Eluria (consisting of that novella and the revised The Gunslinger). It also contains Whelan's original work for The Gunslinger and "The Little Sisters of Eluria."

J. K. Potter: "Before the Play" (in Whispers), the Scream/Press limited edition of Skeleton Crew. Potter was also the illustrator for one of the three limited editions of The Colorado Kid, done by PS Publishing in 2007.

Katherine Flickinger: "Before the Play" (the drawings are published in Stephen J. Spignesi's The Shape Under the Sheet: The Complete Stephen King Encyclopedia).

Kinuko Y. Craft: Different Seasons.

Robert Schneider: Lord John Press' first and limited edition of "Dolan's Cadillac."

Mary Kornblum: "For the Birds" (in Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?).

Phil Hale: The Drawing of the Three, and Mark V. Ziesing's limited edition of Insomnia. Hale was also one of the illustrators for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of The Talisman.

Michael Alpert: The Plant.

Kenneth R. Linkhäuser: The first and limited Philtrum Press edition of The Eyes of the Dragon.

David Palladini: The Eyes of the Dragon.

Matt Thompson: "Popsy" (Masques II: Innovation, Book Two comic version. The text is not by King, though).

Lars Hokanson: The Dark Half, Four Past Midnight.

Barbara Kruger: Whitney Museum's first and limited edition of "My Pretty Pony."

Bill Russell: Needful Things, Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne.

Ned Dameron: The Waste Lands. Dameron was also one of the illustrators for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of The Talisman.

David Johnson: Insomnia.

Mark Geyer: Rose Madder, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones. In 2000, The Green Mile was reissued by Scribner in its first hardcover edition, and had a new frontis-piece illustration by Geyer. In 2007, Geyer did more than 60 new illustrations for the Subterranean Press limited edition of The Green Mile.

Don Maitz: Donald M. Grant's limited edition of Desperation. Maitz was also one of the illustrators for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of The Talisman.

Jeri Gleiter: The Regulators.

Stephen Gervais: Donald M. Grant's limited edition of Christine and The Talisman, plus Dutton's limited edition of The Regulators.

Chris Van Allsburg: "The House on Maple Street" (in Nightmares & Dreamscapes).

Dave McKean: Wizard and Glass. McKean also did some illustrations to accompany King's introduction to Neil Gaiman's comic The Sandman: Worlds' End. McKean did the artwork for the entire comic book.

Kurt Vargo: "Luckey Quarter" (in USA Weekend).

Erik Wilson: "The Little Sisters of Eluria," "One for the Road" (in Legacies). Wilson also did a special limited bookplate for the Overlook Connection Press edition of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Naomi King (King's daughter): "The King Family and the Wicked Witch" (in The Flint).

Harry Horse: "Here There Be Tygers" (in Horror Stories).

Richard Berry: One of the illustrators for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of The Talisman, and was also the artist for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of Black House. Donald M. Grant did another new limited edition of The Talisman, due to the release of Black House, and Richard Berry once again did the artwork.

Jeffrey Jones, Rowena Morrill, Thomas Canty, R. J. Krupowicz: The rest of the illustrators for Donald M. Grant's limited edition of The Talisman.

Don Brautigam: "The Monster in the Closet" (in Ladies Home Journal).

Peter Farrow: "One for the Road" (in Maine).

Jose (last name?): "The Jaunt" (in Gallery).

Bob Giuliani: "Do the Dead Sing?" (in Yankee).

Chris Tremblay: "Uncle Otto's Truck" (in Yankee).

?: "Slade" (in The Maine Campus).

Marv Wolfman: "In a Half-World of Terror" (in Stories of Suspense).

Miles Hyman: Low Men in Yellow Coats excerpt (in Family Circle).

Mike Shenk: Provided the grid for King's crossword-puzzle "Horrors!" in Games.

Jill Bauman: There is a VERY limited edition of The Dead Zone, done by Easton Press, containing three illustrations by Bauman.

Allen Koszowski: "Gramma" (in Weirdbook 19), "The Dreaded X" (in Gauntlet), "Chattery Teeth" (in Cemetery Dance).

Brad W. Foster: "On The Shining and Other Perpetrations" (in Whispers).

J. Brian King: "Man with a Belly" and "Weeds" (in Cavalier).

?: "Suffer the Little Children" (in Cavalier).

Ed (last name?) : "The Boogeyman," "Gray Matter" and "The Lawnmower Man" (in Cavalier).

Nicholas Aristovulos: "Night Surf," "The Mangler" and "Strawberry Spring" (in Cavalier).

?: "The Fifth Quarter" (in Cavalier).

?: "The Fifth Quarter" (in The Twilight Zone).

Vincent Topazio: "The Ledge" (in Penthouse).

Don Punchatz: "Children of the Corn" (in Penthouse).

(first name?) Maffia: "The Crate" (in Gallery).

?: 'Salem's Lot excerpt (in Cosmopolitan).

?: "I Know What You Need" (in Cosmopolitan).

?: "The Fright Report" (in Oui).

Mukai: "The Word Processor" (in Playboy).

There are also illustrations for "I Am the Doorway," "Battleground," "Trucks," "Sometimes They Come Back," "The Man Who Loved Flowers," "Here There Be Tygers", "The Raft," "Mrs. Todd’s Shortcut" and "Rainy Season" in their original magazine appearances. Artists unknown at this moment!

Rudolf Hausner: "The End of the Whole Mess" (in Omni).

?: "Battleground" (in Death Walks Tonight: Horrifying Stories).

Tim Gabor: "How I Created Golden Years...And Spooked Dozens of TV Executives" (in Entertainment Weekly).

Alan M. Clark: Did the art for the ‘toybox’ (MotoKops 2200) for Dutton's limited edition of The Regulators. Was also one of the illustrators of "The Mist" in Dark Forces: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition.
    (NOTE: Clark also did the cover art for the limited editions of Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished, by Rocky Wood, David Rawsthorne and Norma Blackburn, Stephen King: The Non-Fiction, by Rocky Wood and Justin Brooks, Stephen King: A Primary Bibliography of the World's Most Popular Author, by Justin Brooks, and Cemetery Dance Publications' limited edition of Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance, by Robin Furth)

Lou Brooks: "Between Rock and a Soft Place" and "Visit with an Endangered Species" (in Playboy).

George Smith: Firestarter excerpt (in Omni).

Gottfried Heln: Firestarter excerpt (in Omni).

?: "The Return of Timmy Baterman" (in Satyricon II Program Book).

Katherine Streeter: "Fenway and the Great White Whale" (in All-Star Game Program).

?: "It Grows On You" (in Weird Tales). (Could very well be Bob Walters)

Bob Walters: "The Glass Floor" (in Weird Tales).

George Bates: "Leaf-Peepers" (in The New Yorker).

Rick Sardinha: "The Old Dude’s Ticker" (in NECON XX).

Steve Brodner: "On Impact" (in The New Yorker).

Brian Smith: "Will We Close the Book on Books?" (in Time).

Andy Rash: "Wild About Harry" (in The New York Times Book Review).

Elwood H. Smith: "The Horrors of '79" (in Rolling Stone).

Brad Holland: "The Revelations of ‘Becka Paulson" (in Rolling Stone).

John Youssi: "Why We Crave Horror Movies" (in Playboy).

Bruce Hammond: The Famous New Englanders Cookbook, containing three recipes by King; "Basic Bread," "Egg Puff" and "Lunchtime Gloop."

David G. Klein: "Dream Team: Just Another Horror Show" (in The New York Times).

"The Body," "The Breathing Method" and Misery were adapted as abridged, short books to be read and discussed by students, done by Penguin for their Penguin Readers series. Illustrated by Ian Andrew. "The Body" and Misery were adapted by Robin Waterfield, and "The Breathing Method" was adapted by John Escott.

Harry Connolly: Did some photographs for King's baseball-essay "Diamonds are Forever" (in Life). Connolly is also the author of Heading Home: Growing Up in Baseball, a book about Little League baseball, which also contains this essay (it's actually the introduction to the book).

Ron Lindahn: The limited edition of Night Visions 5 (which contains King’s "The Reploids," "Sneakers" and "Dedication").

In promoting King’s short story collection Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Overlook Connection produced a limited set of 9 postcards, each one featuring an illustration by John Mercer. The eight stories that were illustrated: "The Ten O’Clock People," "My Pretty Pony," "Crouch End," "The Night Flier," "Popsy," "Rainy Season," "Chattery Teeth" and "The Moving Finger." The ninth was the front cover with King’s name and the title of the collection.

Victoria Wong: Black House.

Howard Chaykin: "The Tale of Gray Dick" (in McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales).

Quickhoney: The Pop of King (in Entertainment Weekly).

?: "Potter Gold" (in Entertainment Weekly).

Chris Mueller: "Rest Stop" (in Esquire).

Danny Shanahan: "Sloudge" (in The Future Dictionary of America).

Caniglia: The Devil's Wine, containing poetry by King.

Darrel Anderson: Song of Susannah.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was published in 2004 as an abridged, pop-up children's book, adapted by Peter Abrahams, illustrated by Alan Dingman and paper engineered by Kees Moerbeek. Very gorgeous book!!!

Jerry N. Uelsmann: Did the photographs for the Centipede Press limited edition of ’Salem’s Lot (these also appeared in Doubleday's trade hardback).

Mike Mignola: "Lisey and the Madman" (in McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories).

Bob Kessel: "It's Weird But True: The Gloom Is Gone in Mudville" (in The New York Times).

John Tiedemann: Did three illustrations for the Sword in the Darkness excerpt that appeared in the Australian paper The Weekend Australian. It's the same excerpt that appeared in Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished.

Tomer Hanuka: Cell excerpt (in Entertainment Weekly).

Christina Louiso: "Memory" (in Tin House).

Mark Stutzman: Lisey's Story.

Gérard Dubois: "Willa" (in Playboy).

Glenn Chadbourne: The Secretary of Dreams. Was also one of the illustrators of "The Mist" in Dark Forces: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition, as well as the illustrator for one of the three limited editions of The Colorado Kid, done by PS Publishing in 2007.

Edward Miller: One of the three limited editions of The Colorado Kid.

Jae Lee: The Dark Tower comics, by Marvel. The colorist was Richard Isanove. Additional illustrations, maps and such, were done by Jim Calafioire and June Chung (who also served as colorist). Joe Quesada, the editor-in-chief at Marvel, provided a variant cover. Some issues also contained variant covers by special "guest star" artists, such as David Finch, Leinil Francis Yu, Stuart Immonen, Steve McNiven, Greg Land, J. Scott Campbell,
    Billy Tan, John Romita Jr., Mike Deodato, Jr., Marko Djurdjevic,

James Hannah: "Graduation Afternoon" (in Postscripts).

Todd Hido: "The Gingerbread Girl" (in Esquire).

?: "The Mist" (in Dark Forces: The 25th Anniversary Special Edition).

Jesse Lefkowitz: "J. K. Rowling's Ministry of Magic" (in Entertainment Weekly).

Wink: "What Ails the Short Story" (in The New York Times Book Review).

James Imbrogno: "Mute" (in Playboy).

Harry O. Morris: "Throttle" (in He Is Legend: An Anthology Honoring Richard Matheson).

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a file folder with 27 interior illustrations of King's stories in men's magazines. Please PM or email me if you want me to email a zip folder with these.

John

Country
    Country Flag

jhanic: i'd like to get it please :-)

danishcollector: in your list is missing: Richard Heinrich - Eyes of the Dragon (french), see the catalog ;-)

i am not familiar with how to create a new wiki thread..
    can someone create one?

title: list of illustrators

and a second one:
    title: illustrations in magazines

+ adding those 2 links on the main page of the catalog (means with 'recent comments' & 'rare illustrations')

I have no knowledge of wiki either.

I didn't include foreign illustrations, just the original American ones. Some of the Danish books have had some illustrations, too, and some German.

Country
    Country Flag

do you have a list of those german and danish?
    on the catalog, there are Bag of BOnes which isnt in the US one i think, german there are (eyes of the dragon x2), and french (eyes of the dragon)

those are interesting :-)

I don't know much about the German ones. I was once in a tourist bookshop in South France and they had a bunch of German King paperbacks, and I noticed some of them had some illustrations that weren't in the US editions.

Even though I'm Danish, I don't buy or collect the books in Danish, I prefer to read King's words "untainted". I have a few Danish King books but they are not illustrated. But I should be able to find some in my library and can scan the illustrations.

Country
    Country Flag

could be interesting to know about that german...

i recieved the penguin edition of Misery.. unfortunately i ordered twice copies of The breathign method... and both times the sellers seems to do not being able to sell it cause cannot get it...
    third attempt...

Country
    Country Flag

let's hunt further illustrations...

first, could a mod create a thread with the list of Danishcollector?

i was wondering if the following books are illustrated or not?
    - Firestarter, the S/L
    - IT/ Es (german bootleg)
    - Misery/ Sie (german bootleg)

Nebel which is also a german bootleg by the same publisher did get some illustrations (which do not really have anything related to the story, but...ok)
    could someone check please? :-)

Country
    Country Flag

oh, and there is also another Penguin:

Umney's last case..
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Umneys-Last-Case-Penguin-60s/dp/0146000749/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213333918&sr=8-1"]does anyone fancy spending about five bucks for the catalog?[/ame]
    i am going away from UK soon so dont have time to order and recieve it :-(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast