Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cort *spoilers*

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default -

-
    Last edited by razz; 07-18-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

It's certainly possible that Cort knew about other worlds. It's also possible that Cort did come up with it himself unaware that it already existed in some other world. Independent discovery of something which has already been discovered is still novel to the person making the independent discovery.

Take Columbus for example. We know enough about history to know that other Europeans came to North America prior to Columbus, but Columbus and the Spaniards who sent him did not know this, and thus Columbus "discovered" America, at least for himself.

Either scenario is possible with Cort. If I had to speculate, I would say that if Cort specifically said it was a riddle of his own devising, that it was just that. Cort doesn't seem like the type to embellish his own accomplishments.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

but roland himself said that he long suspected that cort knew of other worlds. i'm not sure whether he would have gone to them, but i don't think the possibility of his knowing about them is far off at all. he seemed to me the kind who would have a lot of discreet information stored away.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I agree that it is extremely likely Cort knew of other worlds. Whether one of them was the source of his riddle is another question, but certainly a plausible explanation.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish to take this opportunity to shamelessly plug the Riddles forum (Odd's Lane.)
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Jon, I can't believe go to Odd's Lane that you would shamelessly riddles are fun plug a certain section awesome super fun of this wonderful site riddles riddles riddles for your own gains....you should feel genious ashamed.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My view was that Cort told Roland a riddle he'd never heard before, or in such a way that the structure was unfamiliar, and he assumed Cort had made it up. I've no doubt that Cort had found the highways in hiding though

I've also renamed this thread simply "Cort" as we don't currently have a thread dedicated to discussing him, so feel free to talk about all aspects of Cort in here.

Along the Path of the Beam Ka-Shume is on a distinguished road Ka-Shume's Avatar

Not that I disagree with those above, but what exactly is making you say that its plausible that Cort knew of other worlds?

Traveler JacobChambers is on a distinguished road

Default Cort: The man, The mystery, The legend.....

I just finished reading the graphic novels, so it was satisfying to get some anwers about poor Cort's fate. That being said, i've always wondered why if Cort was such a great teacher, he was never out on missions (or was he?) Was he even a certified "Gunslinger", maybe retired (althought i doubt gunsligers retire) ?

Thoughts?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished my umpteenth reread of the Gunslinger, and the bits with the boys and Cort are some of my most favorite.

It's never established as to whether or not he was an accomplished gunslinger, but I would imagine that he is one , simply because I don't think Steven (or whoever the Dinh is at the time) would allow future knights to be trained by anything less.

As for his experience in the battlefield - remember that he's trained generation upon generation of gunslingers, and his father before him. He's certainly had a lot of experience throughout the years and he's most likely intimately familiar with virtually every weapon, both long range and close quarters.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cort isn't a gunslinger. At least not in the official sense of the word. (I'm sure his combat experience is more than just training gunslingers, and he probably fought for them in his youth.) That's not to say he isn't one at heart, i.e. an expert with weapons. Bear in mind though, an apprentice must beat him in the trials to become a gunslinger. (With the exception of special cases like Cuthbert and Alain who proved themselves elsewhere.), so they're expected to be better.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna move this thread where it belongs (the Villagers) cry your pardon for that. I hope it won't disturb the conversation.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler JacobChambers is on a distinguished road

I'd still love to find out more about Cort. He's prob my favorite secondary character, but so little is known about him

+ Reply to Thread