Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SOFTWARE UPGRADE Discussion

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default SOFTWARE UPGRADE Discussion

On Saturday 11/06/2010 at 2:00 P.M. PDT (GMT-7) the site will close down for an upgrade to V Bulletin 4.0 Software. Michael, Matt and Joseph will work together to implement the upgraded software.

Along with the new 4.0 software we will have a NEW LOOK!

As we speak the staff is discussing several new “Skins”.
    We discussed the following pros and cons prior to making this decision. The upgrade is inevitable (like moving from Windows XP to Windows7-sooner or later it will happen).
    Pros

-Very new and slick with tons of bells and whistles
    -A renewed license will make future upgrades lower cost
    -The new version should fix security issues
    -New look to go with new site
    -More up to date and comprehensive support

Cons

-Cost (Over $200!)
    -Time to do it (I'll help switch it over)
    -Member shock (new skin and features)
    -We may lose a few modules (like DTbay)
    Learning curve

Feel free to go to the VBulletin site, and look around.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks good RF!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to it. One thing though... PLEASE don't use a skin that features light text on a dark background. The current black lettering on a non-intrusive light background is perfect.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Looking forward to it. One thing though... PLEASE don't use a skin that features light text on a dark background. The current black lettering on a non-intrusive light background is perfect.
    We are looking at a dark background with light text. The reveal will be after the upgrade.
    If you see a skin that looks good, feel free to post a link and a screen shot, but the decision will be made by the staff.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ooooo new skin

eeek its so exciting

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

PS the link in the marquee (that's what the moving text on top of the page is called, isn't it?) doesn't work - it leads to the homepage.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

cool this is all very exciting. Can't wait to see the final product.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope the light text and darker background (if that's the way you go) are fairly readable. My old eyes aren't what they used to be!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But I know that for me personally reading light text on a dark background is very tiring - not because I have bad eyes but rather the exact opposite. It's one of the reasons I don't read and post over at The Collector's forum very often (no offense, Tomas).

Would it be possible, as a user/forum member, to choose between different skins in the control panel? Many forums offer the option to choose from different colour schemes.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Easy to request, but tough to do.
    True technical suggestions and help can be PM'd to Matt or myself.

Country
    Country Flag

I know you guys are doing your best, I'm not trying to be annoying here this is the only vBulletin-based forum I visit so I have no clue how customizable it is. Good luck with the upgrade!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I'm def. NOT a fan of dark background, light text.

But, you're in charge, so whatever you want...but I agree that it gives me a headache.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What's this about cost, partner?

Thanks for all your work on this upgrade, Jerome, Matt, Michael and Joseph!

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It's pretty easy to enable more than one skins. IIRC you just have to upload the files of the skin and check a button in the admin control thingy.
    That might have changed in later versions though
    Looking forward to the new look!
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It is an easy thing but the site has not classically opted to give users a choice on skins. Mostly because we only had one and the default (which looks like shit).

I think Jerome is planning one skin for all.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    We are looking at a dark background with light text. The reveal will be after the upgrade.
    If you see a skin that looks good, feel free to post a link and a screen shot, but the decision will be made by the staff.
    Please please no light text on a dark background. I am afraid it will be very hard for many, and for at least some percentage of people/animals (me including) impossible to read. I've tried it on several sites, it's atrocious. I know that many people do not experience this problem, but even if a few of us do, please please let it be dark against light, not the other way.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to chime in about this as I also detest light text on a dark background. There are quite a few sites I won't even go to any more because of it.....and it is because I have old eyes

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hear us. Hear us, we beg.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I guess I'm confused. I've been on numerous VB message boards and not a single one had light text on a dark background.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Please, please, please... NO light text on a dark background.

My eyes are fine and I still get headaches when reading that kind of site. Most of the time I just give up on them. I don't want to give up on this forum. I like it here.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Unfortunately, we can't keep this skin with the updated software.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Along the Path of the Beam Cixelsyd is on a distinguished road

Readability should be first and foremost in your design.

Dark-colored text on a light-colored background is easier to read than light-colored text on a dark-colored background.

I tend to get after images and ghosting when reading a site using an inverted color scheme and then going back to a site with a normal scheme. It's fairly annoying.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for all the input, everyone, and we encourage continued feedback.

Personally I do not yet know full range of choices, but your input will be a factor in the final decision when choosing from the available options.

Thanks again.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We have a good idea what we want to use (no I'm not telling you-it's a surprise ), but we are waiting for technical consulting to be sure it is viable.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that I'm up to speed: Yes. What RF said.

The new skin we hope to use (if viable) should please those who have provided input.

On a side note, please notice that the time (2pm) Jerome posted above for the temporary shutdown on Saturday is Pacific not Eastern. It's stated in his post, but I wasn't sure everyone would catch that. He and I are both on the west coast.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast