Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Dollar Babies

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

My interview slot is at 4pm west coast (6 pm Central) on Saturday.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

After a day to digest the awesome weekend of Dollar Babies, I can say that it go down in my mind as a very memorable weekend. Even though I watched from home, and had to pause when the kids were up during the first couple of films each day, and it kept me up past midnight both Fri and Sat night, it was still pretty worth it. I think the hosts did more than just introduce each film and director or interviewee, they hosted as much as they could as if they were in front of a live audience.

I can't say I was a fan of every film, but there were some incredible versions of King's word put on "film" here. Even the ones that I didn't think were great, you can still give credit to the people who were part of the film as putting effort into a story that no one else has.

It did one thing very well though, light a fire under my ass to get out Night Shift, Everything's Eventual, and all the other short story collections and reread them all.

I feel pretty damn luck to have been able to see all those films that by default won't be viewed by many. The internet did something right this past weekend!
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It was fun to see not only the films but to hear the filmmakers discussing them. And the haikus were a hilarious impromptu addition -- I even got one about me!

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

couldn't watch most of it live, but tried to capture the streams, but ran into technical difficulties on many. Especially the first half of Saturday. So sorry, I missed your interview Bev. (missed everything prior to the Doctor's Case)

Also missed the last 2 on Sunday due to buffering issues.

If you are able to post your interview I would be interested in seeing it. Hopefully it is not bound by the same restriction as the films in that regard.

I still haven't had the opportunity to see most of them, but did watch a few live on Friday.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Barker Street will be posting the interviews on their YouTube channel when they get permission and then get them trimmed out of the main feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Barker Street will be posting the interviews on their YouTube channel when they get permission and then get them trimmed out of the main feed.
    Here is my interview:

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I saw most of them. Overall it was pretty good. Everything's Eventual was a full-length feature film which was fun. I Am The Door Way had some great practical effects.

It would have been nice if there had been an option to watch the films whenever over the weekend period. Although fortunately with my time zone only the first night went really late and I was able to watch it in bed regardless.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the fact that King allowed all those films to be shown on youtube at all was the nice part.

I've been waiting for years to see some of those.

Hopefully they'll get to do it again some time in the future. Everybody interacted nicely on the youtube chat while it was going on. So that was encouraging.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not saying it wasn't, it's just unfortunate some people had to stay up until 4 am in their time zone to catch certain films.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Default Saratoga Springs filmmaker to adapt "The Monkey" (Dollar Baby)

Sometimes it pays to play by the rules. Other times it is worth pushing against them.

Saratoga filmmaker Spencer Sherry intended to do the former but ended up doing the latter with his latest venture; adaptation of a scary short story by Stephen King called “The Monkey”.

During the pandemic, Sherry wrote a film script with the intention of submitting it to the King’s Dollar Baby program, in which the author grants students and aspiring filmmakers permission (for $ 1) to adapt some of her short stories. . The catch is, they can’t take advantage of their movie adaptations. Several famous directors and filmmakers, such as Frank Darabont (“The Shawshank Redemption”, “The Green Mile”) made their debuts thanks to the program.

“I heard about this program a few years ago from a friend who did it, and I felt like one of his news was available,” Sherry said.

It turns out that “The Monkey” was not part of the program, although Sherry only found out after writing the script. At first he decided to put it aside, but he returned to the script this year and decided to see if anything could be done with it.

“I love my idea for that, I love the story. I’m a huge Stephen King fan, that’s how I got into that,” Sherry said.

He reached out to King’s agent and presented his adaptation of the story.

“[I] first asked for a real business option, ”Sherry said. This was quickly denied.

“So I said, ‘Okay,’ I know I’m not supposed to ask and it says on the website not to ask, but could I extend the Dollar Baby contract? “… I just want to do this because I love the story.

The next day, the contract landed in his inbox, along with a note from King’s assistant explaining how unusual it was for King to grant these rights for a story outside of the usual stories available for the program. Dollar Baby.

According to Sherry, Darabont once had the rights to the story, but let them expire and this will be the first film adaptation of “The Monkey”.

[ Read more ]

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Could be a cool one; let's hope he resists the typical short-story-adaptation pitfall of expanding on everything.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Once again, [Stephen King] is allowing a selection of unreleased films based on his work to be shown free as part of the Stephen King Rules Film Festival...as one of the headline attractions during the Alternating Currents Festival in Davenport.

Country
    Country Flag

It's also going to be free online like last year.

https://twitter.com/StephenKingRlz/s...28548254797824

One thing I've been wondering is why King doesn't allow people to just post them on YouTube without ads. The main stipulation seems to be they can't be released commercially or for profit so that would still be in place. (Although I guess there are those who would try to use loopholes to take advantage of King.)

My Collection

The main issue is preserving the right to sell the rights to a commercial enterprise subsequently. If an adaptation already exists and is posted online, then it's a tough sell to then have a company want to make a motion picture or TV series adaptation.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, YouTube content creators can't stop YouTube from monetizing the video and taking the ad money for themselves.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

I'm returning to the Stephen King Rules film festival (a hybrid event this year) -- I'll be interviewed at 4 PM (Central) on Sunday, August 21.

Country
    Country Flag

Not to be a Debbie downer again but I’m disappointed they don’t have any schedules beyond the blocks. Last year I was able to set up calendar alerts for the films I wanted to watch and I planned my time accordingly. For example I am only interested in seeing The Jaunt for the first block. Last time it was like “okay it’s on at 6:15, I’ll sign on five minutes early.”

I know it’s free and it’s not the end of the world but the schedule last year was set up perfect provided you were available.

My Collection

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is you YouTube channel that's streaming it.

Barker Street Cinema

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone know if any of these are repeats from last year? I know I have seen enough versions of the Man who loved flowers to last a lifetime.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Does anyone know if any of these are repeats from last year? I know I have seen enough versions of the Man who loved flowers to last a lifetime.
    They’re not all repeats but a lot of them are. It’s hard to do a direct match up as the schedule for last year listed the production companies whereas this year lists the directors but there’s definitely overlap.

My Collection

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Most of them are repeat from last year
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

The Rainy Season was short was pretty baffling. They don’t mention the word ‘toad’ once (the old people just warns the couple to stay away) and I don’t think you ever get a good look at any of the toads. You hear toad sounds I guess but there’s no real payoff. It’s probably fair to say that anyone watching it has read the short story but if you haven’t you’re probably going to ask what was supposed to have happened.

There was a dollar baby in 2002 which actually showed the toads (complete with CGI teeth). If that was too much then just throwing rubber toads through the window and maybe one or two up close shots with teeth would have been preferable to what this was.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    The Rainy Season was short was pretty baffling. They don’t mention the word ‘toad’ once (the old people just warns the couple to stay away) and I don’t think you ever get a good look at any of the toads. You hear toad sounds I guess but there’s no real payoff. It’s probably fair to say that anyone watching it has read the short story but if you haven’t you’re probably going to ask what was supposed to have happened.

There was a dollar baby in 2002 which actually showed the toads (complete with CGI teeth). If that was too much then just throwing rubber toads through the window and maybe one or two up close shots with teeth would have been preferable to what this was.
    I agree. It wasn't clear what was happening. If a person hadn't read the story, they'd be confused. I still enjoyed it though.

The Doctor's Case was a hell of a production.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast