Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best TV Series of All Time (BTVSAT)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Best TV Series of All Time (BTVSAT)

These Best/Greatest tournaments have been a hit on our forum so I thought we would continue the festivities with a tournament to determine the best TV series of all time. With blessing from feev, we are ready to start our nominating process.

This will be a tad different from past such tournaments, but similar in a way to our hugely popular annual Constant Reader Awards. During the nominating phase we will be nominating our favorite TV series based on the decade they premiered (consult IMDb or Wikipedia for that). TV series have been around a long time, so I think this would give equal weight to older shows not necessarily fresh in our minds. So each person gets to nominate at most six series, one from each decade (1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s - excluding any 2010 series, please). Label your nominations like so:

1950s: TITLE
    1960s: TITLE
    1970s: TITLE
    1980s: TITLE
    1990s: TITLE
    2000s: TITLE

Once enough candidates have been nominated, each decade will undergo a tournament like we're all accustomed to from past All Time tournaments. When the best TV series from each decade has been determined, a round-robin playoff between the six shows will commence, giving us The Best TV Series of All Time.

Should be fun.

MASTER LIST OF NOMINEES (check before nominating)

BTVSAT Overview

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

ZOMG!! Awesome, AWESOME idea!!

I must go and make some lists! Apart from 2000 which is Lost all the way

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Are we talking premiere date or run date? Shows like 24, West Wing and Sopranos all started 98/99 but mostly ran after 2000. What decade would Simpsons be considered? Because it premiered in what...86? 87? But it's popularity was clearly peaked in 1990s
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It says "decade they premiered" in the first post

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Should be by premiere date. I realize there will be some issues like The Sopranos, but to make it easy let's stick to the date of the premiere of the first episode.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

So, what are the nominating rules? One at a time? Can we each nominate more than one per decade?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am not even sure what counts as TV series. Does Fawlty Towers? Black Adder? Jeeves and Wooster?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I would count those all as TV series, Jean. UK / BBC series, but series none-the-less.

Question : Dating the series? <edit> Sorry. I see you answered that. Debut year. Thank you.

Okay, so ... I nominate :
    1970s : The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    1990s : Buffy The Vampire Slayer

More to come for the other decades.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    So, what are the nominating rules? One at a time? Can we each nominate more than one per decade?

All at once is fine. Once per person should be enough, right?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I would count those all as TV series, Jean. UK / BBC series, but series none-the-less.
    then I'll nominate them all!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am not even sure what counts as TV series. Does Fawlty Towers? Black Adder? Jeeves and Wooster?
    Sure. But mini-series do not count.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Sure. But mini-series do not count.
    Wasn't Black Adder like a series of mini-series?

Country
    Country Flag

I suppose you can say this... I hope they won't disqualify it because of that

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, see - we saw them in the US ( usually on PBS ) as a regular series.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, Blackadder is more of a mini-series structurally, but due to it being a weird British product where they name seasons "series" let us officially proclaim it a series.

Country
    Country Flag

splendid

Country
    Country Flag

splendid
    So you're nominating that as your 1980s series then?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

1970s - All In The Family
    1980s - The Simpsons
    1990s - South Park, The Sopranos
    2000s - Six Feet Under, In Treatment
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Gay

pablo - Are we going to keep a master list ? Or should people pull the previous posts forward, etc?

Country
    Country Flag

I'll go ahead and make my nominations all in one go:

1950s: I Love Lucy
    1960s: Star Trek
    1970s: The Brady Bunch
    1980s: The Wonder Years
    1990s: The X-Files
    2000s: Breaking Bad

Country
    Country Flag

oops, I have no idea, now, which is which decade

Here's three... works of art (I have never seen them on television, so do not dare to use any specific terminology) I would love to see nominated:

Jeeves and Wooster
    Fawlty Towers
    Black Adder

- in that order. I would like to nominate as many of them as I can in compliance with the rules, and then I'll hope my friends will nominate the other[s]

will you help me to sort this out, please?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    pablo - Are we going to keep a master list ? Or should people pull the previous posts forward, etc?
    Yes, someone wants to keep a master list please? Each show should only be nominated once.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    1990s - South Park, The Sopranos
    2000s - Six Feet Under, In Treatment
    One per please

Country
    Country Flag

oops, I have no idea, now, which is which decade

Here's three... works of art (I have never seen them on television, so do not dare to use any specific terminology) I would love to see nominated:

Jeeves and Wooster
    Fawlty Towers
    Black Adder

- in that order. I would like to nominate as many of them as I can in compliance with the rules, and then I'll hope my friends will nominate the other[s]

will you help me to sort this out, please?
    1970s: Fawlty Towers
    1980s: Blackadder
    1990s: Jeeves and Wooster

So you're good. You still can nominate three shows from the other three decades.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

This is really difficult only choosing 1 per decade. There are so many good ones I have to leave out.

1970s: You Can't Do That On Television
    1980s: Married With Children
    1990s: Family Guy
    2000s: Sons of Anarchy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast