Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HOW TO: Recondition The Stand S/L Case

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would strongly advise not putting on any clear-coat on the case. The case was finished in a flat black stain.

Traveler Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear you. My goal is always to protect the book and the right clear coat is necessary to do that. And this is notorious for being easily nicked because of no coat. I have had luck sanding and adding the flat black stain and then light matte coats over top without it even really appearing there. It is my hope to be able to achieve this here, so the book case is like a refinished car, factory-done and looking new as it was on publication, but with some more protection added but invisible. If I can pull it off, I will post some pics and we can compare. If not, I will sand it off and go straight black stain as you say; but I have high hopes.
    Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

Michael Whelan "The Long Road" DT Print

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking forward to seeing the pics, even if it's too glossy, and you decide to go with a flatter black. Pics help everyone. That is why I provided the company info to make it easier for people who want a replacement plaque. Saves PM's and time.
    Any member who doesn't have the skills to refinish a case can contact me, and I'll check with my woodworker. In the past he charged $50 to refinish (not any physical repairs) a case.

Traveler Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h has a spectacular aura about Rj_h's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the pics, even if it's too glossy, and you decide to go with a flatter black. Pics help everyone. That is why I decided to make it easier for people to try for a replacement plaque.
    Any member who doesn't have the skills to refinish a case can contact me, and I'll check with my woodworker. In the past he charged $50 to refinish a case.
    That's awesome! Thank you! I will definitely share them...and $50 is outstanding to refinish one.
    Blaine is a pain...

WANTED:

Michael Whelan "The Long Road" DT Print

Traveler kardiackids will become famous soon enough kardiackids will become famous soon enough

Question - Thanks to Mr. Webster I am now the proud owner of a coffin (and the book inside of course). The coffin looks fantastic but since it's 30 years old I was considering using some brass polish on the front plate to shine it up a bit. Then started to get worried that I would do more harm than good. Just wondering if anyone has tried to do this and has any tips to make sure it's done correctly?
    thanks!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be very careful using brass polish on the normal black plate. I tried brass polish on the "brass" plate but with no success.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2