+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Fans Questionnaire!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks, Lisey!

7. Best Heroine?

Of course, I've been thinking on this one since yesterday. I am stuck with two of my favorite characters. The first is Jean Grey, whom I think is one of the best written characters in comics. The other is Rogue... who has more angst than just about any other comic character - which of course makes her a favorite of mine. I did put some consideration into Wonder Woman, since she's so iconic, but honestly - she's almost too "old school" for me. My current favorite heroine is Kate Kane / Batwoman, but I'm not sure I can call her the best, not yet anyways. She has a narrow, short history so far.

Ultimately, I've decided that there is no better heroine than one who will sacrifice her own life to save the universe, therefore - JEAN GREY it is!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lisey Landon View Post
    7. Best Heroine?
    Emma Frost

Which is a nice counterbalance to Pam's Jean Grey.

X-23 was a close second.

It is odd that they are both X characters, since I don't read X titles with near as much frequency as I used to.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

7. Best Heroine?

Agent 355, Y : The Last Man.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmanDUH View Post
    7. Best Heroine?

Good call, because of scenes like this:

Spoiler:

There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by AmanDUH View Post
    7. Best Heroine?

Wow. Good call. Very good call.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love 355. Her perennial loyalty, her combat skills, her witty-bickering with Yorick, her awesome origin story, she's such a great character.

It's strange that I have a vast gallery of super powered individuals to choose from, yet I always opt for characters that are a bit more grounded in reality

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

7. Best Heroine?

This is really a tough one. I don't want to go with one of the obvious choices like Wonder Woman or Supergirl, but they are such really complex characters. Instead I think I'll go with someone else... Martha Washington.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Games Mistress Lisey Landon is on a distinguished road Lisey Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy

8. Biggest Surprise Storyline?

My Mood
    Gay

I loved the Age of Apocalypse storyline from X-Universe. It was very well written, and even though it was an "alternate" universe kind of deal, it rippled across all of the Marvelverse. There was a big surprise death and nice plot turns. It was a great arc.

Quick AofA Synopsis from Wiki :
    Spoiler:
    Legion (David Haller), a powerful psionic mutant on Earth and son of Professor Charles Xavier, travels back in time with the intention of killing Magneto. He believes Magneto's death will allow Xavier to achieve his dream of human/mutant equality. However, Legion traveled to a time when Magneto and Xavier were still friends. Xavier dies trying to protect Magneto, Legion vanishes, and a new time-line is created. The only person aware of how history has changed is Bishop, a time traveling mutant who followed Legion.

Because of Xavier's sacrifice, Magneto comes to believe in his late friend's dream of a peaceful coexistence between humans and mutants. Apocalypse, an immortal mutant villain, was monitoring the fight. He chooses this moment as the perfect time to begin his world conquest, which did not happen in the regular Marvel Universe for another ten years.

Magneto assembles the X-Men just as Apocalypse begins his war. Despite the X-Men's resistance, Apocalypse conquers all of North America and initiates a worldwide genocidal campaign of "cullings" that kill millions of non-mutant humans.

X-Cutioner's Song
    because of the
    Spoiler:

introduction of the Legacy Virus, which lead to the infection and death of a young Illyana Rasputin, and Colossus sacrificing himself later because a mutant needed to die to create the cure and he didn't want anyone else to suffer as his sister did.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    X-Cutioner's Song
    because of the
    Spoiler:

introduction of the Legacy Virus, which lead to the infection and death of a young Illyana Rasputin, and Colossus sacrificing himself later because a mutant needed to die to create the cure and he didn't want anyone else to suffer as his sister did.
    Nice. Yup. Very nice.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going with the Mutants Massacre. Such a level of violence was really unheard of in a Marvel comic that was at the time geared toward kids.
    Spoiler:
    Also, it brought on the HUGE surprise of the suicide of Angel, which brought about the ENORMOUS surprise of Angel being revealed as Apocalypse's fourth horseman, Death.

Of course, Emerald Twilight was a HUGE shocker to me also. I mean, Hal Jordan going crazy and killing off the Guardians. I never saw that coming. I wish comics had such huge surprises like that today. Now many of the storyline turns are visible from miles away. Or they are immediately retconned into nonexistence. Bringing Hal Jordan back and retconning all that just cheapened it all form me. I thought turning him into a villain was the best thing they could ever do for stale, bland Hal. It even made sense. Then they retcon the whole damn thing and... agggh. I'm rambling and will shut up now.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

My Mood
    Bitchy

9. All Time Favorite "Team" ( X-Men, Avengers, JLA, etc )?

My Mood
    Gay

Nice, Sam! Very nice. Hal. :sigh:

You know - I was thinking this over, and I might have to change my answer to the 8. Biggest Surprise Storyline? question. The recent CIVIL WAR storyline was chock full of surprises ( and of course ended with that HUGE surprise ). So, I'm going to go with the Civil War arc from Marvel for the Biggest Surprise.

Of course, I'm going with X-Men, but I will name a specific "X-MEN" team, because there are many incarnations, as I'm sure you know.

I'm going with the X-Men team that appeared in the X-Tinction Agenda story arc, which is actually a mixture of teams. It's one of my favorite stories, and the team included about all my favorite individual X-Men.

Actually, if Jean Grey and Rogue had been featured, you could have rolled me up in those issues and put me away happy.

Here's the Plot from Wiki - it's a good write up and explains the arc, if you don't know it, and lists the super-team involved :

Taking place immediately after the events of the 1990 crossover "Days of Future Present", a group of Genoshan Magistrates (soldiers of the country of Genosha), backed by the cyborg Cameron Hodge, and including an amnesiac Havok (a member of the X-Men), attack the X-Mansion and kidnap Storm and the New Mutants Warlock, Boom Boom, Rictor, and Wolfsbane. They are taken to Genosha naked and weak. Warlock is killed and Storm and Wolfsbane are brainwashed, turned into mindless mutate slaves, which form the backbone of the Genoshan economy and lifestyle. Cable, the New Mutants, Gambit, Forge, and Banshee recruit X-Factor and head to Genosha to save their teammates. They are soon joined by Wolverine, Psylocke, and Jubilee, who independently head to Genosha to rescue their friends.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK, so I haven't read any modern comics in quite a while, so some of my answers may be a little old school.

1. Favorite Author - Alan Moore. I mean, Watchmen and V for Vendetta are two of the best in my book. Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller are right there as well.

2. Favorite Artist and Why? - Alex Ross. His realism just blows me away. Always been a big fan of Todd McFarlane as well.

3. Favorite Single Issue? I don't think I could ever pick one issue as a favorite. I've read far too many to single one out.

4. Favorite Story Arc? Daredevil Born Again #227-233. Watchmen and Moonshadow are great as well, but they were really stand alone "maxi-series", so I don't know if they would be considered a story arc. Kingdom Come is cool as well.

5. Best Villian? - The Joker. Hands down the best bad guy there is, depending on whose doing the storytelling.

6. Best Hero - Spawn. Maybe he's not considered a classic hero, but I always rooted for him.

Country
    Country Flag

The Boys. I never was a big fan of the teams (except the X-Men) as they always felt forced. Seven individuals with individual titles, how the hell did they have time to get together? But The Boys are like the X-Men in that they were created to be a team from the beginning. There's intrigue among the members, mystery, and my man Garth Ennis directing it all. Sure he gets too outragoues with his creations from time to time, but he sure makes a compelling team dynamic.

And that is a GREAT pic for X-teams Pam. One of my favorite X-Men storylines.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    OK, so I haven't read any modern comics in quite a while, so some of my answers may be a little old school.

1. Favorite Author - Alan Moore. I mean, Watchmen and V for Vendetta are two of the best in my book. Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller are right there as well.

2. Favorite Artist and Why? - Alex Ross. His realism just blows me away. Always been a big fan of Todd McFarlane as well.

4. Favorite Story Arc? Daredevil Born Again #227-233. Watchmen and Moonshadow are great as well, but they were really stand alone "maxi-series", so I don't know if they would be considered a story arc. Kingdom Come is cool as well.
    Awesome choice for Story Arc! Just awesome! Daredevil.

And yeah, Alex Ross - He'd be higher on my list if he did more issue work and not just covers.

Kudos, too, for Alan Moore for those who chose him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

The Boys. I never was a big fan of the teams (except the X-Men) as they always felt forced. Seven individuals with individual titles, how the hell did they have time to get together? But The Boys are like the X-Men in that they were created to be a team from the beginning. There's intrigue among the members, mystery, and my man Garth Ennis directing it all. Sure he gets too outragoues with his creations from time to time, but he sure makes a compelling team dynamic.

And that is a GREAT pic for X-teams Pam. One of my favorite X-Men storylines.
    Ennis? No, really!!??

And thanks, Sam. X-Tinction Agenda is often overlooked, because there have been so many very cool arcs, but it's one of my favs, too.

X-Tinction Agenda was almost my pic for #8, but there weren't really any big surprises in it. It is certainly one of my favorite X-arcs, though. I still have most of the original issues somewhere, though they are in rough shape because I got them when I was in 7th grade or so and have read the all over and over.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Ennis? No, really!!??

And thanks, Sam. X-Tinction Agenda is often overlooked, because there have been so many very cool arcs, but it's one of my favs, too.
    Damn right Ennis. One of my favorite characters has always been The Punisher and Ennis breathed LIFE into the character with his run on the MAX series. Not that outrageous stuff that he did with the Marvel Knights line that was just him trying to recreate the magic of Preacher for Marvel without any of the sex or bad language. Sometimes he came up with good stories, sometimes not that good. When Marvel finally gave him the room to run with the story and do what he needed to to bring the character to the truth behind Frank Castle, he brought magic to the page.

There have been four really good storylines that have had far reaching impacts on the entire Marvel Universe to come from the X-Men series. Days of Future Past, Dark Phoenix Saga, Mutant Massacre, and X-tinction Agenda. People who weren't there don't know X-tinction Agenda is where Cameron Hodge turned into an actual threat. They don't know where Genosha came from and what the history really is without reading that story. There have been many stories from the X-Men books, but few of the stories really had an impact on the entire Marvel Universe like those stories did.

Most of the current stuff seems to get retconned every three years or so, or maybe it just seems that way.

My Mood
    Bitchy

10. Best Film made of a comic character ?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

7. Best Heroine?
    Rogue. Always.

I don't have one, none of the comics I ever followed really went for this angle in a major way.

Doom Patrol, because they were misfits in the truest sense of the word. Cliff and Jane are two of my favourite characters ever.

Weeeell, I'm not normally a fan of book to movie adaptations, and even less so comic to movie. The X Men movie boiled my blood, Anna Paquin was beyond rubbish as Rogue and let's not even talk about Tank Girl!!

So, ummmm...I think I'll go for the first Superman movie It's not the most amazing film in the world ever, but it's good fun and we watched it over and over as kids and I think it still stands the test of time.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Knight. No contest.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

So bizarre! I had this like, spooky feeling you'd say that!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I that predicatable ?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Only where Nolan's concerned

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast