Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest director ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

9 31.03%
  • Alfred Hitchcock

20 68.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TDGT - FINAL - Nolan vs Hitchcock

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

yyyyyeahhhh I don't know. If someone wants to say Nolan is better than Hitchcock that's their right. Just tell me 'that's that', mattress man.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Feev, I think Nolan achieved great things with The Dark Knight. He proved comic book stories can transcend the genre they've been in for many, many years and become intriguing drama movies. But while I do not think The Dark Knight is overrated by any means. It's not even in my top ten movies. Top 20 even. I do love it. Batman Begins as well.

There are plenty of directors along with Nolan, (Tarantino, Jackson and Del Toro as I haven't seen Pan's Labrynth and that other one). But to me this is best director. I look for their talent behind the camera and how they direct their actors. Their use of colour, lighting, set pieces, positioning, mood. Nolan makes great movies but I've never thought of any of his movies as moody, they invoked no mood from me. They're captivating yes, intriguing and entertaining. Keep in mind I still haven't seen Inception.

I actually prefer Memento over The Dark Knight. Many of my favourite directors got beat out...most all to Tarandamntino. Oh well, at least Nolan is up there and not someone half talented behind a camera like Tarantino.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I voted for Nolan just to be a wanker

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Um, would you be even more offended if I confessed that I wasn't thinking of you at all?
    Of course!!

Have you read Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's book Good Omens? I am the Crawley to your Aziraphale

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
    Um, would you be even more offended if I confessed that I wasn't thinking of you at all?
    Of course!!

Have you read Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's book Good Omens? I am the Crawley to your Aziraphale
    I suspected as much. Cry your pardon.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmanDUH View Post
    I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that?
    As is the case with anything, this would depend on the individual, would it not ? Although I love both mediums to death, I prefer - by the slightest of margins - the power of imagery to words, which is presumably why films tend to get burn brighter and longer in the retina of my mind's eye than novels and their words. So in this case, the opposite is true for me. ...
    Going further, there's the old question, "Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?" I think that Jean was raising the question of what the individual depends on:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    ...of course, we vote for who is important for us at the moment

the real question is, why these of those are more important than others? what is our choice influenced by? ...
    It's a great topic, and I'd very much like to see it further explored @ Why do YOU love watching movies?.

As for this thread, I'm not sure what else needs to be said. I voted for Hitchcock, but I see no point in knocking Nolan or the fact that he made it here. He defeated...

The Wachowski Brothers
    M. Night Shyamalan
    George Lucas
    Steven Spielberg
    Quentin Tarantino
    Stanley Kubrick

...all of which I happen to agree with. A couple wouldn't even have been nominated, if it had been up to me. This never was perfect, but it's been pretty fun, and somewhat informative on several different levels.

Nolan has never made a film like The Godfather, but I'd probably also have rated him above Coppola, all things considered. Not above Scorsese or... well, many of the directors who fell in other rounds, but that is basically just the luck of the draw. I don't believe that Fernando seriously slanted things, I think he did a great job, and I'm thankful for it. If this had really been a matter of life or death, we could have had double-elimination and other systems to make it more objective and meaningful, and to also create 2 or 3 times as much work. IMHO, tho, it was fair enough, and I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Did someone win the rounds then? I am confused.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Every round but this last one... Nolan could still steal home by getting the next 15 votes... ... looking altogether okay.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

We all know how this is going to end.
    Many directors I love are lost at the beginning of the tournament.
    Hitchcock is clearly a classic, successfull, elegant and immortal director with his own style; kind of a brand for cinema.

So...

...I voted for...

...Nolan.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wanker.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Witch of the West View Post
    We all know how this is going to end.
    Many directors I love are lost at the beginning of the tournament.
    Hitchcock is clearly a classic, successfull, elegant and immortal director with his own style; kind of a brand for cinema.

So...

...I voted for...

...Nolan.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Wachowski Brothers
    M. Night Shyamalan
    George Lucas
    Steven Spielberg
    Quentin Tarantino
    Stanley Kubrick
    Tarantino committed far worse evil; beating out PT Anderson, the Coens and someone else, can't remember. Nolan eliminated people who deserved to be eliminated by him. Though I think Kubrick is a better director.

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan hands down. I love Hitchcock, but Inception blew my damn mind as did Memento. And I bloody love The Prestige. And of course The Dark Knight. hitchcock is good, damn good, but Nolan is just blowing everyone out of the water
    If you love me then love me..

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

THAT is horrifying to me.

of course i havent seen any of those films , so.....

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So you're knocking on Nolan, and you haven't seen any of his films ? Yeah, that makes total sense

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdwq3jdvZDI"]William Castle[/ame]
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    ...if it's about who's the best director at the present moment, then Hitchcock is ineligible...
    We can try to imagine how contemporary films fit into the canon of all time. We can also try to imagine what it was like to see classic films when they were new. Both are good things to attempt, and both much harder than they seem.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nolan. For reasons I've already stated.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    ...if it's about who's the best director at the present moment, then Hitchcock is ineligible...
    We can try to imagine how contemporary films fit into the canon of all time. We can also try to imagine what it was like to see classic films when they were new. Both are good things to attempt, and both much harder than they seem.
    It's hard to judge the overall quality of a movie when released. Some movies attain a level hype and praise and in several years it seems forgotten about. Then some movies come out to little reception and are beloved years later. Some movies do not age well at all while some are like a fine wine.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Nolan. for my own reasons

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so - is Hitchcock now officially declared the greatest?

::applause::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This could have ended a lot worse. Hitchcock definitely is one of the very best directors ever. Even hist worst films - Topaz?? - are worth watching.

sk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hear, hear!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I guess I'll have to give Memento another try; it didn't snag my interest. I keep seeing it on Netflix and thinking that it sounds like something I would love, but then I remember trying to get into it that time... However, receptiveness is often filtered by so many things that I admit that I may've simply tried to watch it at the wrong time. The problem is that I've not yet found the right time since then.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Tenant View Post
    so - is Hitchcock now officially declared the greatest?

::applause::
    Yes!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast