Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remove Books while Flea Bombing

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Remove Books while Flea Bombing

I am going to Flea Bomb my house and I was wondering if I should remove or cover my book collection? Would the Flea Bomb hurt my books? Would it make the books smell?

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've personally never had experience with flea bombing, but I would remove my books, just to be on the safe side. I would hate to have a big book collection (even with so few nice ones that I have) and come back to have them all smelling like flea bombing chemicals or maybe have them discolored or damaged in some way.
    Just my personal opinion. Better safe than sorry!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Get them out if possible. I used to own a pet store and those chemicals can be pervasive (as they are supposed to be). The problem could be, however, that the fleas may ride on the books, so when you bring the books back to the house, you could be re-introducing the fleas. They're sneaky little buggers.

John

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'd suggest removing them as well.

At the very least, put them in sealed containers ( like Tupperware, something with a seal of some kind ).

Good luck!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From experience, it WILL make your book smell temporarily. It did not appear to do much damage to any of the books that were on our shelves (I was a teenager then), but my mother's collection of Louis L'amour books became stuck together afterward. They may have done that on their own as they were packed in pretty tight, but I don't think so. In the long run though, if your books are tightly packed onto the shelves, I would move them. If you have books that you REALLY don't want to take a chance with, I'd remove them. If you have your reading copies on the shelf, I wouldn't worry too much about them UNLESS they share shelf space with your good books. If that is the case (for instance, all of my reading copies sit on a totally different shelf from my valuable books and thus have their own shelf), I'd remove all of them before bombing.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any thoughts in 2015 on this? We're having a bit of a flour weevil/gnat issue due to half-assed undersink repairs by the apartment complex and it is becoming necessary. If it was JUST for these, I'd completely take my books out, but we're seeing some very minor silverfish issues in the bathroom, which IS potentially an issue, though there is no evidence of them in the bookcases. So, what's the greater evil, the possibility of silverfish and other nasties slowly eating bindings and pages, or the very rare use of the bug bombs.

Our thought is to get the apartment repairs done correctly first where the weevils are breeding at, then to get a full bug bomb WITH the book cases open, of course making sure that none of the bombs are close enough to be putting excessive residue there.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

+ Reply to Thread