Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 708 of 714 FirstFirst ... 208 608 658 698 706 707 708 709 710 ... LastLast
Results 17,676 to 17,700 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The Last House on Needless Street
    I've started a tiny subsection of contemporary genre fiction I like to think of as Future Classics*. "The Last House on Needless Street" just made the list. All the things in the blurb (the one on Goodreads, at least) are true and I was still pleasantly surprised.

* It's a very short list:

Josh Malerman - Birdbox (his only book I enjoyed. It has been diminishing returns since then to the point of unreadability)
    Paul Tremblay - A Head Full of Ghosts
    Grady Hendrix - My Best Friend's Exorcism
    Alma Katsu - The Hunger (You loved "Terror"? You'll love this too then)
    Marisha Pessl - Night Film
    Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

I've also bought a couple of inscribed books directly from Philip Fracassi. "Beneath a Pale Sky" was neat. Iain Reid also makes the list but I haven't decided which book.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I've just finished The Fall of Númenor...
    I'm looking forward to this; thanks for posting your thoughts.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This was fucking tremendous.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    This was fucking tremendous.
    Right? Truly a secret (or maybe overlooked) gem. Once I clear the next 3 waves (I plan these out in advance), I'll track down a used copy of The Swan Thieves. Her used books are all over the place here and max out at $5.

Currently reading:

Dan Simmons - Prayers to Broken Stones (truly a monumental collection).

Gene Wolfe - Endangered Species. Clues within clues but under all the head scratching whaaa moments, Wolfe's stories are horrific. "The Dark of the June" and its eight pages was as much of an emotional gut punch as Simmons' The River Styx Runs Upstream.

Alastair Reynolds - Belladonna Nights and other Stories. Masterclass SF. Infinitely vast ideas and humane (if not always human) characters. Highly recommend. You don't need to be a fan of science fiction to appreciate this. Think Song of Lya by GRRM.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I bought a bunch of Junji Ito books last year and they've just been sitting on my shelf. My goal this year is to go and start reading the books I already own, so I decided to start with Uzumaki yesterday. I loved it! Flew through it in a day. So today I decided to read Gyo. This one I wasn't as thrilled with, the characters were super annoying and the storyline wasn't as intriguing. I just picked up Tomie a few days ago, and I have a couple of his short story collections, so trying to decide which one I should start on next.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Dan Simmons - Prayers to Broken Stones

I started Frankenstein yesterday. I got as far as the second page. Those letters are dreadful. This one might take a while.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Don Winslow - Kings of Cool

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    Don Winslow - Kings of Cool
    I'm also reading Winslow. I just finished City on Fire and am 1/3 of the way through the sequel, City of Dreams.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Dan Simmons - Prayers to Broken Stones
    Some good stories in that collection. Been a while since we've heard from Mr. Simmons.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Pheromon - Rainer Wekwerth, Thariot

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe. Super creepy ghost story.

Country
    Country Flag

Mark Samuels - Glyphotech and Other Macabre Processes

I've read blurbs about Samuels being the UK Liggoti and generally a fine weird fiction writer is in his own right. I've read only four stories in this collection and dunno, this is a lot more straight forward than Liggoti and the greats of Weird Fiction. I admit ignorance about the rest of his body of work (it's sizeable) but to me this was a lot like Books of Blood. Or maybe a less nebulous Laird Barron and John Langan.

Another book I accidentally discovered and have no qualms recommending to a purveyor of a good horror tale.

And I'll just pretend I didn't see the limited editions done by Zagava Press.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Magus
    Hannibal Rising (audiobook read by Harris)
    Cinema Speculation (Quentin Tarantino)

ISO: (1sts f/f), Bazaar, Different Seasons, Mr. Mercedes
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished The Collector. Lots to talk about, no energy to do so. Brilliant book though.

I'm reading Punktown at the moment but I'm also trying to decide on something meatier. It's either going to be The Hellfire Club or Necroscope.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Pheromon Sie riechen Dich
    Rainer Wekwerth+Thariot -Leseexemplar/ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Jeff Vandermeer - Authority
    Philip Fracassi - Commodore

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis
    Semi/fictional autobiography kind of a thing but it is really good. There is a smallish passage about how much SK's novels pushed young Bret into writing and how much he disliked Kubrick's The Shining for not being like the book. Can never tell with Ellis but it might be that we would not have American Psycho without Stephen King's influence.

Country
    Country Flag

Jonathan Janz - The Dismembered

I grabbed this one from KU but haven't started it yet. How is it?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Pretty good. It starts off as a Gothic story and ends up like something that'd make the young Clive Barker proud.

There's a scene that in retrospect changes the tone of the story. It's pretty disturbing. You can't miss it. Hold onto your hat after that.

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Authority by Jeff Vandermeer. Holy moley, this was INTENSE. Pure psychological terror. The secret room/attic scene made the room 217 seem like unicorns frolicking in some magical meadow under a rainbow.

Reading: Gene Wolfe - Endangered Species. Probably his least nebulous collection. It's actually enjoyable.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I wish I could read fast like that

Country
    Country Flag

The last two books were pretty short. I deleted them but I think they were roughly 110 and 150 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Pretty good. It starts off as a Gothic story and ends up like something that'd make the young Clive Barker proud.

There's a scene that in retrospect changes the tone of the story. It's pretty disturbing. You can't miss it. Hold onto your hat after that.
    Just got to the turning point in the story! And that scene you mentioned was rough, I admit I skimmed over it. Just knowing what happened is enough for me.

I do love gothic stories so I loved the way he started the book. Hopefully this last half will be just as enjoyable.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Josh Malerman - Bird Box
    Leseexemplar/ARC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 708 of 714 FirstFirst ... 208 608 658 698 706 707 708 709 710 ... LastLast