Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 690 of 713 FirstFirst ... 190 590 640 680 688 689 690 691 692 700 ... LastLast
Results 17,226 to 17,250 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Just started The Bank by Bentley Little. I've never read any of his books and all I know is that he seems to be not appreciated by some members here...especially a well known unboxer. I wouldn't have sought out any of his books but I received Walking Alone in a CD grab bag and The Bank in the CD ARC grab bag. I'm only a little bit into The Bank so I don't want to make any quick judgements but there is something about his writing that doesn't seem to work for me.
    Just forward 'em to Jeff. He loves that shit
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

LEVITICUS

So many rules to follow!
    So many poor animals slaughtered!
    So much blood sprinkled!
    Most of the decrees make sense in a health and sanitation and infectious disease and moral aspect, but you can not make a garment using two different kinds of thread? I do not understand that one.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just started The Bank by Bentley Little. I've never read any of his books and all I know is that he seems to be not appreciated by some members here...especially a well known unboxer. I wouldn't have sought out any of his books but I received Walking Alone in a CD grab bag and The Bank in the CD ARC grab bag. I'm only a little bit into The Bank so I don't want to make any quick judgements but there is something about his writing that doesn't seem to work for me.
    I've only read one Bentley Little book, The University, and it scarred me so much I've been hesitant to pick up another by him, although I do have The Store sitting on my bookshelf for if I decide to. Not sure if all his books are like this or I just picked the wrong one to start with, but it was all gratuitous sex throughout the whole book, it was so off putting. Let me know what you think of The Bank once you're finished.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. It was really good, but I think I liked Dark matter better. Finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. I really liked the story and the way it was done with the news clips, but it was more gory than scary to me. Just starting Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I loved Recursion. The wait for a new Blake Crouch is torture.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I've only read one Bentley Little book, The University, and it scarred me so much I've been hesitant to pick up another by him, although I do have The Store sitting on my bookshelf for if I decide to. Not sure if all his books are like this or I just picked the wrong one to start with, but it was all gratuitous sex throughout the whole book, it was so off putting. Let me know what you think of The Bank once you're finished.
    I haven't read any Bentley Little books but that's the vibe I get from the plot descriptions and reviews: gratuitous gore and sex for the sake of having gratuitous gore and sex.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. It was really good, but I think I liked Dark matter better. Finished The Troop by Nick Cutter. I really liked the story and the way it was done with the news clips, but it was more gory than scary to me. Just starting Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.
    I really enjoyed Recursion as well but think that I also liked Dark Matter more. I got The Troop for Christmas but haven't felt it calling to me yet.

I finished Full Throttle last night and am going to finally start On Writing in the next day or so. I've had it on my list for forever (!) and had been "saving" it (it's one of the ten or so unread King books I have left ) but feel like it's the right time now that I'm in the middle of re-writes for a new book.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I haven't read any Bentley Little books but that's the vibe I get from the plot descriptions and reviews: gratuitous gore and sex for the sake of having gratuitous gore and sex.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    I really enjoyed Recursion as well but think that I also liked Dark Matter more. I got The Troop for Christmas but haven't felt it calling to me yet.

I finished Full Throttle last night and am going to finally start On Writing in the next day or so. I've had it on my list for forever (!) and had been "saving" it (it's one of the ten or so unread King books I have left ) but feel like it's the right time now that I'm in the middle of re-writes for a new book.
    You are in for a treat. Bet you will pick up some best practices (ughh. . . Did I just regurgitate a corporate term. Ha!) and I think it is the closest to a King autobiography we will ever get.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dune, The Border by Don Winslow, Regulators (re-read), If It Bleeds , The Langoliers (re-read)

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Finished Black Hills last night. As typical of Simmons' historical fiction he gives the reader a lot to work through and think about.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    ]Bet you will pick up some best practices (ughh. . . Did I just regurgitate a corporate term.
    I groan at that term, too. Same thing with "good of the group."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I just want to say that Houses Under the Sea by Caitlin R. Kiernan is one of the finest short stories I have ever read. Definitely top 10, possibly top 5. Wow! Just wow.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Finished Black Hills last night. As typical of Simmons' historical fiction he gives the reader a lot to work through and think about.
    I remember writing reviews like this, haha. It's in what you're not saying where the truth is.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    ]Bet you will pick up some best practices (ughh. . . Did I just regurgitate a corporate term.
    I groan at that term, too. Same thing with "good of the group."
    "Let's parking lot that idea"
    "We like to say what we would do different, not that it is wrong"

Ughh

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I remember writing reviews like this, haha. It's in what you're not saying where the truth is.
    I give Dan Simmons more leeway than I do with other authors...sometimes to my chagrin!

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I've yet to read Black Hills - it's on my list of Simmons' recent work that I've yet to around to. The last recent novel of his I read was Drood, which I enjoyed immensely. Although I have read some of his back catalogue more recently than Drood.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I've yet to read Black Hills - it's on my list of Simmons' recent work that I've yet to around to. The last recent novel of his I read was Drood, which I enjoyed immensely. Although I have read some of his back catalogue more recently than Drood.

HBJ
    If you liked Drood you might like The Fifth Heart as well.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Just started Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield. It's kind of a fairy tale involving mysterious doings among a 19th century community near a river. 85 pages in, not bad.
    Let me know how you enjoy this one. I have it sitting on my shelf but haven't gotten to it yet. Loved The Thirteenth Tale by her.
    Quite good - do read it.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Thanks! Will try to get to it soon.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Tonight I begin a special re-read. I am embarking on reading the Stand, uncut in the middle of this pandemic lockdown! crazy huh?

I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version before and it's certainly possible that I have not read the Stand since I was a teenager. It is hard for me to remember my early King reading history. I do remember being enraptured by the Stand when I first read it. It really knocked my socks off.

and now I am off to experience the Dark Chest of Wonders
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version before
    oh I wish I could say the same! only to be able to read the Uncut for the first time again. It's superb (even though Heather doesn't seem to think so)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    I dont believe I have ever read the uncut version before
    oh I wish I could say the same! only to be able to read the Uncut for the first time again. It's superb (even though Heather doesn't seem to think so)
    What is your favorite book, Jean?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It, if we're talking King books now, with the Stand a very close runner-up
    (otherwise... everything Dickens and Dostoyevsky ever wrote, and Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis). Yours?

(actually, as a mod I am supposed to redirect us both to a thread where favorite books are discussed, LOL)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It, if we're talking King books now, with the Stand a very close runner-up
    (otherwise... everything Dickens and Dostoyevsky ever wrote, and Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis). Yours?

(actually, as a mod I am supposed to redirect us both to a thread where favorite books are discussed, LOL)
    It will just be one post for me, my eyes have gotten to where I can't read, at least not for more than ten minutes at a time so I am way behind.

Of King's IT is my favorite as well and The Stand too, just like Bears!

Not King, I also love Dostoevsky (especially Crime and Punishment and The Brothers' Karamozov).

Anything by William Faulkner.

Anything Truman Capote wrote, love James Joyce, Moby Dick, Thomas Harris (for the most part).
    Catch-22, Lolita, The Great Gatsby, I like Anne Rice and Chuck Palahniuk too.

Maybe we should be redirected! Ha! Sorry, more to name....I've actually never read Dickens, except for A Christmas Carol.

Country
    Country Flag

oh grrrr so sorry about your eyes! have much the same with mine, so understand you very well

whenever your eyes allow you to read again, let's come to this thread (I re-quoted you there)

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...oks-of-my-life

and then go on. It is interesting, and I sooooo missed these conversation during my absence

+ Reply to Thread
Page 690 of 713 FirstFirst ... 190 590 640 680 688 689 690 691 692 700 ... LastLast