Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 640 of 714 FirstFirst ... 140 540 590 630 638 639 640 641 642 650 690 ... LastLast
Results 15,976 to 16,000 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished A Winter Haunting and loved it!! I got hooked this weekend and couldn't put it down. I agree it was totally different than SON in all kind of ways but I loved the twists and turns of the story.
    Spoiler:
    I loved that Michelle Staffney and C.J. Congden were both ghosts and you didn't find out until the end.

It liked it a lot more than Children of Night as CON seemed more predictable to me.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yesterday I finished J.K. Rowling's Cormoran Strike trilogy (The Cuckoo's Calling, The Silkworm, Career Of Evil).

They are pretty basic detective novels, but then I say that as someone who hasn't read many other detective novels (I'm struggling to recall if I ever have).

I enjoyed them, and I did get to the point where I'm looking forward to the next Strike novel (Lethal White, coming...sometime), but they aren't whoa, you've gotta read this good. My main problem is that the two main characters feel pretty stock to me, which is odd because all other characters, however little used, feel pretty real. I suppose this problem lessened a bit as the series went on, but they still have a whiff of clip-art about them. As for cliche, I did resolve (while reading the first of the trilogy) to immediately stop reading if
    Spoiler:
    the two main characters, Strike and Robin, ever became romantically involved
    , but this didn't happen.

A characteristic of each book that I'd guess is more of a feature than a bug, and therefore not really a problem so much as a limitation (maybe) is that it follows the formula where the crime solver tells the criminal all about how he brilliantly solved the crime near the end. I thought that style/technique went out with the hula hoop, but maybe I'm wrong (as I said, I haven't read many other detective stories).

I would like to read a detective novel that feels a bit grittier, not necessarily graphic and bloody or profanity-laden (although those characteristics wouldn't necessarily disqualify), but a bit more rough around the edges. Does anyone have any recommendations? I might try one each by two or three of the major names in the genre, but I expect that, when I look on my own, I'll find more than that, so I'm wondering what people consider essential, or at least good, representative novels that would make for decent entry points into the genre.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yesterday I read (started and finished!) The Quotable Winston Churchill, which measures 2.75" x 3.25".

Not much too it, as you may imagine, and the title says it all.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Last night, I started The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which I know is familiar to many of you.

This is the first I've read of Rothfuss; I chose this when randomly casting about for some new fantasy.

I'm only on page 25, but I have to say: what I've read so far is pretty intriguing.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I would like to read a detective novel that feels a bit grittier, not necessarily graphic and bloody or profanity-laden (although those characteristics wouldn't necessarily disqualify), but a bit more rough around the edges. Does anyone have any recommendations? I might try one each by two or three of the major names in the genre, but I expect that, when I look on my own, I'll find more than that, so I'm wondering what people consider essential, or at least good, representative novels that would make for decent entry points into the genre.
    Try John Sandford's Lucas Davenport "Prey" series.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Oof! Thanks, but I've already read Sandford's Rules Of Prey - it was the first book that made me say "I know I can do better than that."

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Terror. Top tier Simmons for sure.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    My fav of his thus far. I wanna read Drood but keep putting it off due to reviews.... what else has he done that is top tier?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Did you read Song of Kali, Kris? (the 1st edition is also a nice collectible book).

I have yet to read Carrion Comfort but I believe that's also one of his better works. And The Hollow Man, as I mentioned earlier (although it may be more of an acquired taste perhaps).

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Did you read Song of Kali, Kris? Which is also a nice collectible 1st edition.

I have yet to read Carrion Comfort but I believe that's also one of his better works. And The Hollow Man, as I mentioned earlier (although it may be more of an acquired taste perhaps).
    Nope! I will though! Thanks man
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Oof! Thanks, but I've already read Sandford's Rules Of Prey - it was the first book that made me say "I know I can do better than that."

Not making excuses but ROP is the first in the series and Sandford was just starting his career as a novelist. That said his work might be a bit too light for your tastes (seeing the variety of books you read) but for my money Sandford's books (including the Virgil Flowers series) are the most consistently entertaining and enjoyable that I read. He has a great ear for dialogue that doesn't sound forced or phony and there are always several amusing lines to lighten the mood.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thanks; I do appreciate the info.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    My fav of his thus far. I wanna read Drood but keep putting it off due to reviews.... what else has he done that is top tier?
    Personally, I loved Drood. It's long and sprawling, but wonderfully immersive. I know a lot of people don't like it as much as The Terror, but I actually prefer it.

HBJ

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'd love to get into him finally and will probably look for a good first edition of The Terror, and this seems to be turning into a Simmons thread, but we actually already have one: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...59-Dan-Simmons

Like many Dan Simmons novels Drood is a combination of historical fact and fiction. For the most part I found it interesting and entertaining but like his incessant repetition of "Francis Rowdon Moira Crozier" in The Terror he wore my a** out with his constant references to the "inimitable" Charles Dickens. Rant aside, it is a good story.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Hyperion isn't the easiest read but in my humble opinion, it's THE book he'll be remembered for. They contain and combine the best elements from his entire body of work. Plus, the Shrike. Can't forget the Shrike.

Country
    Country Flag

Hyperion isn't the easiest read but in my humble opinion, it's THE book he'll be remembered for. They contain and combine the best elements from his entire body of work. Plus, the Shrike. Can't forget the Shrike.
    It was A VERY HARD read but so cool. I did like it better than the follow up for sure.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Did you read all four books? You gots to.

Just finished two books: The Shape of Water by Del Toro, and The Kill Riff by David J. Schow. I think I need something a little lighter for my next read. I'm thinking space adventure. I'm thinking Jack Vance. Big Planet.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default What are you currently reading?

Took a break from The Terror (I can only handle so many consecutive ship terms I just don’t understand) to read an 80’s demon child horror paperback called “Lupe” by Gene Thompson. It started out ridiculous and there were a couple scene that made me question my dignity for not throwing the thing in the trash, but I liked it.

Back to The Terror!
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Country
    Country Flag

Just received the notification my Unbury Carol hold has arrived. It's strange, my interest in Malerman wanes in tandem with decreasing Goodreads reviews of each new book: I have a signed trade of Bird Box, unsigned trade of The House at the Bottom of the Lake, I bought a used copy of Black Mad Wheel, and I'm getting Unbury Carol from the library.

In short, he hasn't matched the quality of Bird Box yet. Harsh but numbers don't lie.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Last night, I started The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which I know is familiar to many of you.
    I have to say, 500+ pages in, I'm quite enjoying this. Best new (to me) fiction I've read in a long time.

Country
    Country Flag

Listener... hated it. Seemed so juvenile.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. I really liked it. Facinating how a book can produce different results for different people. Pretty cool.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
    Interesting. I really liked it. Facinating how a book can produce different results for different people. Pretty cool.
    It sure is... I have always found that fascinating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 640 of 714 FirstFirst ... 140 540 590 630 638 639 640 641 642 650 690 ... LastLast