Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 614 of 714 FirstFirst ... 114 514 564 604 612 613 614 615 616 624 664 ... LastLast
Results 15,326 to 15,350 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

My most recent re-reading of The Shining a few years ago was the least enjoyable as the overriding impression I got was just how angry and miserable SK was when he wrote it. There is a Bachman vibe to the writing and at times it appears to be autobiographical; definitely working out some issues. A nasty piece of work.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    My most recent re-reading of The Shining a few years ago was the least enjoyable as the overriding impression I got was just how angry and miserable SK was when he wrote it. There is a Bachman vibe to the writing and at times it appears to be autobiographical; definitely working out some issues. A nasty piece of work.
    I ran across your ranking of SK books yesterday and noticed how low you rated most of SK's books. When you read these do you just force yourself to finish them? Also what are you looking for in the book? So far looking through the rankings you were the only one who was not afraid to give a lot of low scores on a lot of famous novels. I really did not care for the DT either so I'm curious what makes you not like these books?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Not that I can read SK's mind, but I see The Shining as an expression of anxiety over the ability to support, and continue to support, a wife and child(ren) (maintaining a level of success); it adds to my enjoyment of it. I didn't consider it an angry work (although I certainly see how one could), as I see the anger as just an offshoot of the novel's events.

Ben Mears - I take it you're a Salem's Lot guy? One of his best, I think.
    In the village all the children running home

- they sing hymns that haunt them when they're all alone.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I ran across your ranking of SK books yesterday and noticed how low you rated most of SK's books. When you read these do you just force yourself to finish them? Also what are you looking for in the book? So far looking through the rankings you were the only one who was not afraid to give a lot of low scores on a lot of famous novels. I really did not care for the DT either so I'm curious what makes you not like these books?
    Like giving a listen to anything recorded by my favorite bands I'm always willing to read SK's output. While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them. Conversely when he gets it right I'm inclined to re-read those books multiple times over the years.
    As for what I'm looking for in a book it comes down to entertainment and pleasure. I read (and listen) a lot and really enjoy becoming engrossed in a well written story be it horror, mystery, historical, thrillers etc. I read a fair amount of non-fiction as well. I don't consider myself a sophisticated reader; just someone who derives satisfaction from the process.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Not that I can read SK's mind, but I see The Shining as an expression of anxiety over the ability to support, and continue to support, a wife and child(ren) (maintaining a level of success); it adds to my enjoyment of it. I didn't consider it an angry work (although I certainly see how one could), as I see the anger as just an offshoot of the novel's events.

Ben Mears - I take it you're a Salem's Lot guy? One of his best, I think.
    You make a good point about SK's anxiety fingerprints on The Shining. Clearly he had some things on his mind while he was writing it and those concerns came across in the novel. I plan to do another re-read when the Cemetery Dance limited is published. I'm looking forward to the bonus material.
    As for 'Salem's Lot, I'm definitely a big fan.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and enjoying it quite a bit so far.
    Dickens always fulfills my expectations. I love his characters.

Moby Dick is the only book I didn't finish reading.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Like giving a listen to anything recorded by my favorite bands I'm always willing to read SK's output. While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one here that didn't enjoy the DT books. I'm pretty much the same as you. I listened to all the audiobooks to see what all the fuss was about, plus it is Stephen King, but I was really bored by them. Just not my types of books.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Like giving a listen to anything recorded by my favorite bands I'm always willing to read SK's output. While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one here that didn't enjoy the DT books. I'm pretty much the same as you. I listened to all the audiobooks to see what all the fuss was about, plus it is Stephen King, but I was really bored by them. Just not my types of books.
    I think my problem was the characters. Roland was cool and all but his lack of emotion was annoying to me. Detta was just obnoxious. Jake I liked and Eddie I liked after breaking his addictions. The ending was just a let down as well. The Crimson King... meh. He is played up to be such a baddie and nothing. Honestly I enjoyed book 4 and book 4.5 the most. They had the most interesting story lines to me.

I think my problem was the characters. Roland was cool and all but his lack of emotion was annoying to me. Detta was just obnoxious. Jake I liked and Eddie I liked after breaking his addictions. The ending was just a let down as well. The Crimson King... meh. He is played up to be such a baddie and nothing. Honestly I enjoyed book 4 and book 4.5 the most. They had the most interesting story lines to me.
    The only thing I enjoyed about the DT books was the 'Salem's Lot references and coda.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

After reading the following, I feel that I can kind of come out of the closet on the issue of the DT series:

While not a fan of science fiction or fantasy I have slogged through King's brushes with those genres but have no desire to return to those novels; once was enough. Had they not been King books I never would have even considered them.
    Wow, I thought I was the only one here that didn't enjoy the DT books. I'm pretty much the same as you...
    I think my problem was the characters. Roland was cool and all but his lack of emotion was annoying to me. Detta was just obnoxious...The ending was just a let down as well. The Crimson King... meh. He is played up to be such a baddie and nothing.
    I'm not seeking to piss fans off or to pretend I'm cool because my taste differs, but I've been reluctant to air out my general view that DT is a cross between the best thing I've ever read (it has an incredibly broad scope (even for an "epic"), a wildly diverse group of characters, and some genuinely gripping and tense moments (various gunfights, things in 4 and 6 particularly, the end of 6, the (potential) fate of Black 13) and the worst (things that feel random (telling riddles to survive, the whole "19" thing), dead ends/unexplored tangents, long segments that are either flashbacks (4) or just feel like diversions (5), unsatisfying resolutions to long build-ups (Crimson King and the series' end itself)).

I think King’s professed style of working without outlines manifested its worst case scenario in DT. I believe this method succeeds in his conventional novels because the narrative proceeds and concludes within a self-contained logical world containing finite and defined characters and locations, and is edited as a single unified entity within a contiguous time period, all before reaching readers. DT, on the other hand, received inconstant work over a period of decades and has a narrative in which literally everything is open for use (characters from his other works, characters from other authors’ works, events in reality, every type of character that can be imagined) with no commitment to tying up loose ends. (Of course, you could say these things enable the things that made it great to you.)

But then, he's a heck of a story teller, and this satisfied millions, so what can I say?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

(Of course, you could say these things enable the things that made it great to you.)
    which is, verbatim, what I already opened my mouth to say

moreover, most of these things are the things that made it great to me, come to think of it

that feeling of... randomness and haphazardness... of an unspeakable reality too big for concepts and human logic, looming behind what actually was spoken... I fully realize that this way I seem to be advocating sloppy wriitng, but I don't, normally; only in this particular (unique) case

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ...that feeling of... randomness and haphazardness... of an unspeakable reality too big for concepts and human logic, looming behind what actually was spoken... I fully realize that this way I seem to be advocating sloppy wriitng, but I don't, normally; only in this particular (unique) case
    The thing is, I totally get what you're saying; this is part of the reason why I have to admit that I am enjoying/will enjoy my DT re-read (which will literally take years, as I'm reading all of SK's things in order, and DT is woven throughout - I read DT1 last year, will begin #2 maybe next week, but DT3 maybe not until next year).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series from the library the other day along with The Sandman: Overture. Is the Overture to be read before or after I complete the series? Thanks!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I started The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao last night and Captain Trips is mentioned in the first chapter.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Picked up Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series from the library the other day along with The Sandman: Overture. Is the Overture to be read before or after I complete the series? Thanks!
    After. It has many references to the original series and story points which depend on familiarity.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    (Of course, you could say these things enable the things that made it great to you.)
    which is, verbatim, what I already opened my mouth to say

moreover, most of these things are the things that made it great to me, come to think of it

that feeling of... randomness and haphazardness... of an unspeakable reality too big for concepts and human logic, looming behind what actually was spoken... I fully realize that this way I seem to be advocating sloppy wriitng, but I don't, normally; only in this particular (unique) case
    Absolutely. I loved the "tangents and diversions." Book 4 was my favorite. I loved the riddles with Blaine and all the ties to this world that aren't (and don't have to be) explained. I mean, Roland's world has the Jesus-Man and Hey Jude and Sneetches. I'm glad King didn't go out of his way to explain all that. It just IS.

And I loved the ending. Absolutely perfect. Much better than battling a giant sewer spider and defeating it with, well, kiddie sex. Yes, there were a couple of misses and let-downs in Book VII. You mentioned one. And the whole Detta/Odetta/Susannah/Mia thing got old real fast. But I can forgive even that, given the overall arc.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...I feel that I can kind of come out of the closet on the issue of the DT series:
    Hey! That's what this forum is for. Never feel shy to render an opinion on a book or story. Some people's top favorites I did not like at all. For example, Insomnia (hated it) and The Talisman (a total drudge to get through--I blame Straub LOL).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    After. It has many references to the original series and story points which depend on familiarity.
    Thanks!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Never feel shy to render an opinion on a book or story.
    Thanks.

I have to say, part of the reason I keep quiet is because I feel like I'm not doing any good by crapping on something - if a book makes someone happy, that book is successful, and I'm glad that happiness entered the world. Still, I guess it's nice to know I have some common ground as a King fan who occasionally goes or .

I have mighty low opinions of some non-King works mentioned on TDT, but I hold my tongue because I know that some out there may first learn of these works here and I might turn someone off to something they'd quite like before they even try it - and that sucks.

...The Talisman...
    Ah, yes - The Talisman. I first read this as a teenager, loved it, and then for many years recalled it fondly as one of SK's greatest triumphs. There, I would think as I gazed upon it, sitting on my bookshelf - is one hell of a book, and one day I shall read it again. When I finally got around to re-reading it in 2011 (age 42)...yikes! Suffice it to say: it's no longer on the shelf. But, it's still nice to know that for many out there, that magic still works.

...Insomnia (hated it)...
    Bah! Insomnia is great! Of course, I do need to re-read it...

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Never feel shy to render an opinion on a book or story.
    Thanks.

I have to say, part of the reason I keep quiet is because I feel like I'm not doing any good by crapping on something - if a book makes someone happy, that book is successful, and I'm glad that happiness entered the world. Still, I guess it's nice to know I have some common ground as a King fan who occasionally goes or .

I have mighty low opinions of some non-King works mentioned on TDT, but I hold my tongue because I know that some out there may first learn of these works here and I might turn someone off to something they'd quite like before they even try it - and that sucks.

On the other hand you may have saved somebody a lot of wasted time and hair pulling! I'm not afraid to voice a negative opinion of something I do not like, nor am I afraid to back that opinion up. That said I always qualify that is my opinion and everyone's opinion is formed by their experiences and their paradigm. It is not objective fact, despite how much I may claim it to be sometimes!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I am "burning" through the Fireman... I think I shall read another Hill... what one would you guys read next?
    20th Century Ghosts
    I vote Horns. It was my favorite!!!
    Agreed. I loved that book.
    Yes to Horns. It's a great book.

I just started Blake Crouch's Dark Matter last night.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I am "burning" through the Fireman... I think I shall read another Hill... what one would you guys read next?
    20th Century Ghosts

It's about time
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Just finished William Forstchen's novel The Final Day, the third book after One Second After, and One Year Later.
    Way too real, scary, could happen tomorrow. Leaves you very unsettled when you look at our current worldwide
    political unrest.
    I noticed these books a year or so ago, haven't read them yet, but intend to. I've heard the basics of how EMPs work, but I could use a better grasp on the underlying science - any recommendations on that front?
    Sorry, didn't see this response. They talk a little about the science and it's all current technology, it could happen tomorrow. I'm not
    the scientist, I just love a good story!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    20th Century Ghosts

It's about time
    100% Blake is the man. I REALLY hope for more good stuff from him
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 614 of 714 FirstFirst ... 114 514 564 604 612 613 614 615 616 624 664 ... LastLast