Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 601 of 714 FirstFirst ... 101 501 551 591 599 600 601 602 603 611 651 701 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,025 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I have no idea what S/L means.
    I struggle when people abbreviate the titles of the books their talking about. As soon as I find out what TBODB is, I'll know that's what Brian is reading next. I'm sure it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm not good at deciphering things like that.
    LOL. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.
    Haha. Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I have no idea what S/L means.
    I struggle when people abbreviate the titles of the books their talking about. As soon as I find out what TBODB is, I'll know that's what Brian is reading next. I'm sure it's supposed to be obvious, but I'm not good at deciphering things like that.
    I don't know if NOS4A2 is the title or the abbreviation.
    I do know that one is actually the title.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

To confuse matters even more the British version of NOS4A2 is NOS4R2 due to differences in pronunciation of Nosferatu.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    To confuse matters even more the British version of NOS4A2 is NOS4R2 due to differences in pronunciation of Nosferatu.
    I don't think Nosferatu's pronounced any differently, actually. It's not pronounced "Nos-fer-ey-tu", the "A" in NOS4A2 should be pronounced as "ah". I'm not sure why it would be changed in the UK. Strange.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I don't think Nosferatu's pronounced any differently, actually. It's not pronounced "Nos-fer-ey-tu", the "A" in NOS4A2 should be pronounced as "ah". I'm not sure why it would be changed in the UK. Strange.
    That was the explanation I've heard. Perhaps our British friends could chime in?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Brits, like is Canucks, just pronounce more hard A's like we say zed. That soft a in America works, but we'd never get the title. That's why I had no idea it sounded like Nosferatu...in fact, I've just said it as enn-oh-ess-four-eh-two.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well it's just a license plate made to look/sound like Nosferatu, just replacing -fer- with 4 and -tu with 2, but keeping the other letters the same. There is no R at the end so to me the UK version is weird.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Because they don't say 'fer' they say 'fuh', so the R is there for that reason or it would just be nos-fuh-ah-tu. They hit that 'r' like it's its own syllable (rar) to differentiate the two syllables, kind of like how we would accentuate 'Jack Crane' with an audible pause in the middle so it doesn't sound like 'Jack Rain'.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I'm wrong a British person can correct me, but I've got a good ear for such things having spent so many years in speech therapy.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So is it just the title that was changed or is it changed in the book too? It is bizarre to me as well that they would change the title.

As for Joe Hill, I'm only maybe 60-70% thru the Fireman but I'm enjoying this one so much more than NOS4A2. I guess we'll see when I finish but I'm surprised to hear that it's gotten bad reviews. Out of his books I'd rank them 20th Century Ghosts, Heart Shaped Box, The Fireman (so far), NOS4A2, and Horns I have yet to finish. I started to read it but for some reason it didn't grab me so I put it down. I plan to revisit it sometime.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So is it just the title that was changed or is it changed in the book too? It is bizarre to me as well that they would change the title.
    They print the British editions in British English, so the isn't just the title, e.g., Color becomes colour, realize becomes realise, etc..

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The Fireman is pretty good so far. Only 60 pages in but I'm not skipping/skimming anything.
    I think this is our first positive outlook on the boards so far for this book. It's next on my list after finishing EOW and TBOBD. Will be my first Joe Hill read outside of the 1st issue of Tales From the Darkside.
    Eh, I think it stayed interesting for the first 100 pages or so. After that it's a story about the most tedious apocalypse ever.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

As for Joe Hill, I'm only maybe 60-70% thru the Fireman but I'm enjoying this one so much more than NOS4A2. I guess we'll see when I finish but I'm surprised to hear that it's gotten bad reviews. Out of his books I'd rank them 20th Century Ghosts, Heart Shaped Box, The Fireman (so far), NOS4A2, and Horns I have yet to finish. I started to read it but for some reason it didn't grab me so I put it down. I plan to revisit it sometime.
    I tried to read Heart Shaped Box, but it didn't grab me, yet everyone seems to love that one. Horns didn't grab me immediately, but I ended up absolutely loving it.
    I figure Heart Shaped box may have the same effect on me should I decide to revisit it.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

After EOW which is up next (I read so much less in the summer) I was thinking I Am Legend.... any thoughts here on what its like?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely incredible is all you need to know.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That was all i needed to 'know'. hahahah
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    That was all i needed to 'know'. hahahah
    Agreed, if you haven't read it yet I'd highly recommend it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I Am Legend is great but it's pretty short so you should probably start thinking about the next-next book as well... just sayin'!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Have you read any Crichton, Kris?

Country
    Country Flag

No I haven't man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

This book has ALWAYS been on the TOP of my FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME list.

and speaking of Michael Crichton...Here is a little lost 1974 Crichton book (paperback screenplay).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Think I saw or read someplace that WestWorld is to be a TV series this Fall.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    No I haven't man
    Then you know what to do

Country
    Country Flag

Think I saw or read someplace that WestWorld is to be a TV series this Fall.
    The preview LOOKS INSANE!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I've been making some pretty unfortunate choices this month:

Lester Del Rey Collection - just couldn't get into noir in space.
    Julie Czernede - Survival. I should've been all about this but it felt very dry to me
    Tim Lebbon - Rime. This I did finish but mostly because it was a quick read at 65 or so pages. This was intriguing because it was set in space but it still dealt with Lebbon's go-to themes of loss, guilt and remorse. An OK read. I wish he'd stop doing all this work-for-hire and write a horror novel again. It sucks I'm losing interest in a writer I used to collect religiously.
    Alan Moore - Unearthing. I flipped through this and gave up. Artsy fartsy shit. Gimme From Hell or gimme death.
    Joe Hill - The Fireman. No plot, pretty vanilla villains, unlikeable protagonist(s). A deaf kid named Nick? Are you kidding me? He's paid tribute to his Dad already, this wasn't cute.

I'm reading Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie. Great stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 601 of 714 FirstFirst ... 101 501 551 591 599 600 601 602 603 611 651 701 ... LastLast