Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 566 of 714 FirstFirst ... 66 466 516 556 564 565 566 567 568 576 616 666 ... LastLast
Results 14,126 to 14,150 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finished Simmons' first, Song of Kali - great book and a nice quick read! Now on to his second, Carrion Comfort. Can't wait

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nifft The Lean by Michael Shea.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Finished Simmons' first, Song of Kali - great book and a nice quick read! Now on to his second, Carrion Comfort. Can't wait
    The book that made me fall in love with this author.
    Still my #1 Simmons.
    Enjoy, Michaël.

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

3/4's of the way into Hyperion...

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I read Go Set A Watchman yesterday. I don't think I've ever been so disgusted with a book in my life.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read it yet and have tried to stay away from reading anything about it. Why were you disgusted? Not sure if you can answer that without revealing anything about the book.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You like it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I haven't read it yet and have tried to stay away from reading anything about it. Why were you disgusted? Not sure if you can answer that without revealing anything about the book.
    Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this. As reprehensible as it is, financial gain I understand. Destroying the Finch family was completely uncalled for.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this. As reprehensible as it is, financial gain I understand. Destroying the Finch family was completely uncalled for.
    Wow that's very interesting and disheartening too. Everyone involved should have left well enough alone based on what you're saying.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    You like it?
    I love it.

Top 5 sci fi for sure.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You like it?
    I love it.

Top 5 sci fi for sure.
    Amen! and I'm just about done with Fall of Hyperion, and it is awesome as well (and essential after reading Hyperion!)
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this.
    I was planning on reading it when it was announced, then I found out that Watchman is just basically a first draft of Mockingbird--they're just selling it as a sequel since it takes place after Mockingbird.

I've heard the rumors that HL is not mentally competent too, but I don't think we'll ever know what's that vs. old age vs. being taken advantage of.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Non-spoilery disgust, I don't think Lee wrote the book. I think the first section was probably part of her first draft but that is all. The style is not the same. To be honest, the majority of the book reads like a high school stream of consciousness essay. And everything that I hold dear and love about TKaM is systematically destroyed. I don't how much of the story has made it outside Alabama but there are very lively rumors going around that Lee is not mentally competent anymore and has been taken advantage of through all of this.
    I was planning on reading it when it was announced, then I found out that Watchman is just basically a first draft of Mockingbird--they're just selling it as a sequel since it takes place after Mockingbird.

I've heard the rumors that HL is not mentally competent too, but I don't think we'll ever know what's that vs. old age vs. being taken advantage of.
    Is nothing sacred anymore. Why couldn't they have just leave it be with Mockingbird. Perhaps we will never know but I wonder how the Watchmen publication came to be.

My Mood
    Angelic

There have supposedly been investigations by the state into her being exploited.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably going to finish A Summers Night this evening... going to read A Winter Haunting next then Terror... would you all say stick to Dan and go to Hyperion?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Skip A Winter Haunting.
    And definitely, go to Hyperion.
    Simmons doesn't come much better.

sk

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked A Winter Haunting, I wouldn't skip it. One man's opinion, of course

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably going to finish A Summers Night this evening... going to read A Winter Haunting next then Terror... would you all say stick to Dan and go to Hyperion?
    You can't go wrong by starting Hyperion (and then follow it up with Fall of Hyperion)! I actually read Summer of Night as my first Simmons' a couple months ago, then decided to start chronologically, reading Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Phases of Gravity, then Hyperion and finishing up Fall of Hyperion now. To quote Stephen King, "I am in awe of Dan Simmons..."

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    You can't go wrong by starting Hyperion (and then follow it up with Fall of Hyperion)! I actually read Summer of Night as my first Simmons' a couple months ago, then decided to start chronologically, reading Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Phases of Gravity, then Hyperion and finishing up Fall of Hyperion now. To quote Stephen King, "I am in awe of Dan Simmons..."
    We should change the name of this thread to Dan Simmons! About a year ago I bought a collection of Simmons 1st editions. I've also known of his work since the early days, about 25 years ago. But I've never read any! There's always been too much to read and I never got around to it. So if I were to start, which book should I start with? Hyperion? I know there are many.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    We should change the name of this thread to Dan Simmons! About a year ago I bought a collection of Simmons 1st editions. I've also known of his work since the early days, about 25 years ago. But I've never read any! There's always been too much to read and I never got around to it. So if I were to start, which book should I start with? Hyperion? I know there are many.
    Paul, I started with Summer of Night based on suggestions here that it was maybe more accessible then Hyperion, which is a very complex (but fantastic) series. After I read that and loved it, I read Song of Kali because I have this thing where I like to read authors' books in the order released. That's just me! Song of Kali, Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night are more 'horror' if you will, while Hyperion is closer to Sci-Fi, but I wouldn't pigeonhole his stuff into any one category.

So after that long-winded answer, I personally would recommend Song of Kali to start with and read them in order of release. Others may have different opinions.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like to read books in order of release too. Thanks for your suggestions John. I may get started after I'm done with what I'm reading now.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I am this close to being done with my reading of Summer of Night. I've got maybe 50 pages left.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There have supposedly been investigations by the state into her being exploited.
    When this book was announced, the Washington Post ran an article about what is was likely to be. The author of the article seemed convinced (by his own research and reporting skills) that someone close to Lee had basically rifled through her old papers and came up with a bunch of first drafts, discarded materials, abandoned approaches, etc. from Mockingbird. This person, possibly aided and abetted by others, found some way to crib it all together and pass it off as a "new" book (or "long lost sequel") to Mockingbird that Lee wrote at some point in the past. Lee, now, is apparently so riddled with dementia (or at least, exhibiting severely diminished capacity) that she could either be manipulated into "releasing" the book, or bypassed altogether.

I was appalled to hear about how this "book" came to be, and the absolute greed that drove people to basically shit on Lee and her original creation.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I am this close to being done with my reading of Summer of Night. I've got maybe 50 pages left.
    ME too! I have 48 left. LOL So busy I cannot finish! Your score so far out of 10? Mine is a solid 8.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 566 of 714 FirstFirst ... 66 466 516 556 564 565 566 567 568 576 616 666 ... LastLast