Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 444 of 714 FirstFirst ... 344 394 434 442 443 444 445 446 454 494 544 ... LastLast
Results 11,076 to 11,100 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean's fantastic Rosemary's Baby comparison...though comments will have to wait. I am off for work.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Scarlet Letter is such a great book. Hawthorne has such great use of language, he's rather quite a poet in his means of getting his story across. He's not easy to read as he's rather more focused on painting an emotional picture to you than moving the story along. He illustrates his characters well and he draws you into their struggles by giving visual means to their distress. I love the character of Pearl, she a very bewitching character; smarter and wiser than her years allow, seeming born of sin and is often desribed as elfish or fairy like. For a two hundred page book it's a long read, due to the thick use of language but it's a rewarding one.

Now I'm about seventy pages into Farenheit 451 which is been simply fantastic so far. Looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.
    I love Hawthorne. When I was in high school I hated him because most of the interesting stuff about him, including stuff like him having a lot of guilt about his family being involved in the Salem Witch Trials and his sort of questioning the nature of religion and such in his works a lot as a result, were left completely out of the conversation because I live in the bible belt and people get cranky about that stuff(the same goes for Emily Dickinson and her very likely bisexuality and dislike of the nature of religion of her time). I knew next to nothing about Hawthorne and hated his work as a result. Once I went to college and learned a lot of the historical context to place him in and what he was actually addressing with his writing, I fell in love with his work.

The Blithedale Romance is another work I would recommend. It is very interesting when read in context of the sort of utopian communal living situation that he and a bunch of Transcendentalists of the time tried to build and failed called Brook Farm.

The short stories ""Young Goodman Brown," "The Minister's Black Veil,"Rappaccini's Daughter,and "Wakefield" are some of my other favorite works of his.
    I think all those short stories are in the paperback I picked up a few weeks back, containing his great short works, two of them for sure are in there; it contained The Scarlet Letter which is why I bought it then found a nice hardcover of The Scarlet Letter I had to pick it up. I bought a copy of The Marble Faun by Hawthorne as well, so if you have read it I'd like to know if it is worth bumping up my list.
    I have actually never read that one, but have always thought it sounded interesting. I read once that it has a pretty unsatisfactory ending, but intentionally so.

Jane Eyre is great. I had to reading for a Victorian Lit. class in college and wrote a couple of papers on it. I love every minute of it.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently reading

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

just finished my two Joe Hill books...I loved Heart Shaped Box. A really good book. Wish I would have read it first....lol. Read Horns first. It took me two weeks to read Horns and 3 days for HSB. I can see why a lot of people liked them.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Now you need 20th century ghosts. That is Joe at his best.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Now you need 20th century ghosts. That is Joe at his best.
    hear, hear

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read anything else from Hill, other than 20th Century Ghosts, but I was amazed at how good it was. I was expecting run-of-the-mill but got oh so much more.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm currently on Song of Susannah on my re-read and I'm shocked by how much I'm enjoying it this go around. In the past, I pretty much hated it.
    It seems like that's on the bottom of a lot of people's lists. I really liked it when I read it. Kind of like a "pre" Dark Tower VII, rather than a more standalone installment.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thumbs up for all the Joe Hill love being shared here!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

One can never have too much Joe Hill.

If you rescue me

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in to book three of A Song of Ice & Fire: A Storm of Swords.

LOVING IT! So much good stuff has happened, and I'm only a third of the way through....

No spoilers please! (I know you won't, but I'm so paranoid...)

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

going away from the horror for now and reading these

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Wolves of the Calla in my DT reread and have started Song of Susannah.

John

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

After going through a ridiculous anthology phase the past few months (I must have read over 50 including 20th Century Ghosts which was excellent) I finished WTTKH (LOVED revisiting the Dark Tower world) and now re-reading Danse Macabre with the 2010 Forenote "Whats Scary" which I hadnt read before. Some really good stuff in there.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice:

John: How are you enjoying your DT series re-read?

Quote Originally Posted by jimimck View Post
    I'm in to book three of A Song of Ice & Fire: A Storm of Swords.

LOVING IT! So much good stuff has happened, and I'm only a third of the way through....

No spoilers please! (I know you won't, but I'm so paranoid...)
    You're catching up to me. I finished Book 3 recently and decided to read some other things before starting Book 4 to stretch out the ASOIAF experience.

No spoilers, just that Book 3 is only going to keep getting better!

TN: So do you recommend DANSE MACABRE? I own an old paperback copy, but have never read it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I very much enjoyed Danse Macabre. Of course it is very dated now, but King sure has a lot of insight into horror--both from the entertainment industry perspective (books, films, EC comics, etc.) and from general human nature.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

For what it's worth (not much), Danse Macabre is the only King book I could never finish. Pour some sand down your throat and that's how dry it is. On Writting was great though with only one downside to it... a reprint from Danse Macabre.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I'm really enjoying it. It's been a few years since my last reread and am encountering stuff I'd forgotten.

John

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I should give DANSE MACABRE another chance, divemaster. Like WeDeal, I couldn't get through it the first time, but loved ON WRITING years later.

Glad to hear it, John. Did you put TWTTKH into the mix mid-stream this go-round?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

No, I plan on reading it after The Dark Tower book 7. It just seems right then.

John

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish King would do a volume II of Danse Macabre beginning where he stopped in the eighties.

If you rescue me

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice - I kinda assumed the rest of the book will be awesome, as when stuff that has happened already is so early on in the piece, I can only imagine what is instore for the finale!

I think I'll be having a break after book 3 too. I've had so many recommendations for books by authors I've never read, so I really should finally pick one and experience something new...

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I'm really enjoying it. It's been a few years since my last reread and am encountering stuff I'd forgotten.

John
    I feel the same way. Right now, I'm about a third of the way through Wizard & Glass. I just finished The Wind Through The Keyhole, which is a great supplement to the original books.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 444 of 714 FirstFirst ... 344 394 434 442 443 444 445 446 454 494 544 ... LastLast