Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 439 of 714 FirstFirst ... 339 389 429 437 438 439 440 441 449 489 539 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,975 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it have the excised 21st chapter or does it have the I'm Stanley Kubrick and I'll end my movie where I damn well please ending?

It is one of my favorite stories ever.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

War and Remembrance.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I am reading it on my ipad, which is handy because i have the concordance pulled up on another page with the nadsat translations so I can go back and forth. The vernacular voice is my favorite part of the book. Along with Huck Finn, I think that A Clockwork Orange is a prime example of this style of writing. I was unaware that this slang was a bastardized version of Russian. I am curious if Jean has read it, and what he thought of the slang.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I am reading it on my ipad, which is handy because i have the concordance pulled up on another page with the nadsat translations so I can go back and forth. The vernacular voice is my favorite part of the book. Along with Huck Finn, I think that A Clockwork Orange is a prime example of this style of writing. I was unaware that this slang was a bastardized version of Russian. I am curious if Jean has read it, and what he thought of the slang.
    I'll finish (or better restart and finish) it now that I have a Kindle. I didn't like it at all when I tried first, and I found the "Russian" slang preposterous. I think I may expand on this after I've [re]read it, there's an interesting philological problem here.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is preposterous...intentionally so.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, I know

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Simmons - Summer of Night
    How are you liking it? Its one of my favs.

Jean have you by any chance read it? If not I'd highly recommend it. It has an IT like vibe to it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Moved on to Dewey's Nine Lives. Still not reading as much as I'd like to... oh well.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading Christine!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Jean have you by any chance read it? If not I'd highly recommend it. It has an IT like vibe to it.
    Not yet, but I already have it in Kindle format!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a whole new treasury of books now, and I am reading all the time!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good for you, Jean!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Not yet, but I already have it in Kindle format!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a whole new treasury of books now, and I am reading all the time!!!
    Excellent! Let me know the second you read it.
    And don't forget that other Austen book

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been enjoying Feast of Fear before bed each night. Also, I started Horns.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Guillermo DelToro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain

If you rescue me

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I like it. It's a very different book from the stuff Simmons is writting now. The focus is on the story, not just 'writting well'

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things. I saw the comic book / graphic novel adaptation yesterday. Looks ... interesting.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things. I saw the comic book / graphic novel adaptation yesterday. Looks ... interesting.
    I liked it. Very good, just read it over vacation. It's as if Michael Crichton would write a horror novel.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It's a very fast read. You won't be able to put it down once you really start. I suspect Chuck Hogan wrote the actual book with Del Toro providing the plot and visuals to him. Del Toro's command of English isn't all that great. Clearly he does alright for himself but the prose has Hogan's stamp all over it: technological/scientific terminology, street/urban lingo, sharp dialogue, ridicilous tempo... all Hogan. I highly suggest this book to everyone looking for something different from a vampire book. This one ain't pretty and it gets darker and more hopeless more you read it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll just say that it and The Passage are the best vampire books I've read in a very long time.

If you rescue me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It's as if Michael Crichton would write a horror novel.
    SOLD.

I'll just say that it and The Passage are the best vampire books I've read in a very long time.
    That's not really saying much though

Country
    Country Flag

ditto.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It's as if Michael Crichton would write a horror novel.
    SOLD.

That's not really saying much though
    Apparently you don't realize how many vampire books I read.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

And would you consider many of those good or great ?

And if so - NAMES.

I like it. It's a very different book from the stuff Simmons is writting now. The focus is on the story, not just 'writting well'
    It is. It was actually the first one I read and it got me into him. I don't know if you have plans to read the second one, but honestly I'd say to skip it. I think the first is perfect and I didn't really care where he went with the characters in the sequel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 439 of 714 FirstFirst ... 339 389 429 437 438 439 440 441 449 489 539 ... LastLast