Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 416 of 714 FirstFirst ... 316 366 406 414 415 416 417 418 426 466 516 ... LastLast
Results 10,376 to 10,400 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I had Skeleton Crew on audio book, it was pretty awesome. It contained The Monkey and The Mist and both were pretty creepily done, with music and sound effects. Coolest part was these ones were actually read by Stephen King himself!

I'm thinking I may just read Notes From Underground because it's a short read, which I'm enjoying at the moment. Then I'll flip a coin and read one of the two Austen books. I kind of want to wait to read any Dumas until I get my hands on The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

why???

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm assuming the why is about Dumas...my friend has been wanting to read Count of Monte Cristo for years and for the past month he's been looking in every book store for a copy so we can read it at the same time. I know it's quite the hefty book so I guess I'm trying to read as much books as possible before then and Dumas was like and olden times french stephen king when i comes to length haha.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    bears have no car... and on overcrowded bus/subway it doesn't seem the best idea...

have never tried any audiodrama, either
    Hmmm. If you ever have the time and the inclination, let me know, and I'll send you one or two audio dramas that I think you may enjoy. Most likely, ones with Paul McGann from Withnail & I in them.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

audio ... drama ? ...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

but, again, what are the situations in which bears could be quietly sitting and listening?

Mattrick: I still can't see why you don't read Mousquetaires now, and Monte Christo later?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    audio ... drama ? ...
    Like the shows they used to play on the radio before tv's were invented
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

audio ... drama ? ...
    Yeah, it's like something you'd have for tv or film, but for audio. (Note I didn't say "radio": these days, with the internet and everything, the audio format is pretty wide ranging.) Particularly useful for stories where it could be done on tv, it would just look shit, or stories where even seeing what the characters looked like would ruin the twist.

- Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Very true, there are many advantages to audio, but at the same time some disadvantages. Personally I love both. And I adore the old radio plays. I've gone back and listened to many. I know a bunch of the Mercury Theater and Campbell Playhouse ones that Orson Welles did are readily available online. Also I found an app for my phone that has many others I also went to go see a play a few years back of It's a Wonderful Life. And it was set up in the format of them shooting it for the radio. Very interesting. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time

And Jean, do you own Persuasion? If not, there's a written format counterpart to librivox. Can someone help me? I'm blacking on the name. Since it's in the public domain you can find it online to read.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use to do a lot of driving back when I was working--30,000-50,000 miles a year--and audio books really helped pass the time. Since I've retired, I seldom take a trip more than an hour, so I don't listen any more.

John

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    bears love The Idiot! I hope the translation was adequate
    Jean, since you are a fan of The Idiot, I thought you might be interested in this portion of an interview with Kurusawa, arguably the greatest director in the history of film. His film adaptation of The Idiot was apparently not one of his better results. Here's what he had to say...

When you read Dostoevsky’s novels, for example, it’s mind-boggling how thoroughly he depicts human relationships. I read quite a few of his novels when I was young, and it must be filtering out into my films though I haven’t come close to Dostoevsky’s heights. Only through literature can you tackle something on that scale.

I made The Idiot and it was not at all a successful adaptation. Still, having taken on the challenge of a work like that, I think I learned a lot from the experience. Once I began working on it, the immensity of the project dawned on me. I thought to myself “What was I thinking?” I felt the weight of Dostoevsky on my shoulders.

There’s one scene where the idiot, played by Masayuki Mori, comes to Setsuko Hara’s party and says, “You are a nice person by nature. You are really a nice person.” Hara asked me, “What expression should I use?” I was sort of taken aback. I asked my assistant director to get a copy of the novel. I looked up the scene and it said that Nastasia smiled “crookedly.” … I hadn’t really read the passage that closely. It was only because Hara asked that I noticed the description of Nastasia’s smile.

So I said to Hara, “smile crookedly.” When we did a test shot of her smiling crookedly, Mori reacted with amazement and exclaimed, “That was great direction!” I said, “It wasn’t me. It’s what Dostoevsky wrote.”

So when you tackle a great work of literature, you make some amazing discoveries….A simple line in a piece of literature can be brilliant…what it expresses is just superb. In Dostoevsky’s novels, it’s as though he is experimenting in a laboratory, having one “human atom” clashing with another. I’ve been reading novels like that since childhood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xile is on a distinguished road Xile's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

Should I buy Duma Key or Under the Dome first? Does it matter? You know what I mean.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Both are very good, but Duma Key is a richer experience. Start with that.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've wante to se his adaptation despite it not being a great adaptation. Truthfully it would take a number of films to accuractely adapt The Idiot and I'm sure other novels of his as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xile View Post
    Should I buy Duma Key or Under the Dome first? Does it matter? You know what I mean.
    Definitely Duma Key!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
    THIS. Huge fan of Dumas.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Paused reading Game of Thrones to start reading Shada, based on a "lost" Douglas Adams story. Will let you know what I think of it as a novel later.
    :facepalm:

That's it, I'm never watching Dr. Who.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice Xile is on a distinguished road Xile's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet. Going to pickup the hard-back this weekend. I refuse to buy King's work in softies.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got tons of King hardcovers. Only soft cover I have is my paperback bag of bones

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I only buy hardcovers because I can't wait to read them when released. >_>
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

'softies'

Traveler Metaldrummer86 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cool

I'm reading Bag of Bones as I'm playing catch up with other King's books. I also wait in anticipation the arival of the new DT book, but in audio.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    audio ... drama ? ...
    Like the shows they used to play on the radio before tv's were invented
    Little Orphan Annie!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Paused reading Game of Thrones to start reading Shada, based on a "lost" Douglas Adams story. Will let you know what I think of it as a novel later.

...seriously, dude, a new Dr. Who book comes out that everyone's saying is fucking brill. What did you expect me to do?

I said I'd have Game of Thrones done by the end of the month. Considering I read a couple of hundred pages last week, plus a hundred pages of the previous Who book last night, it looks like that's still gonna happen.

- Melike

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post

...seriously, dude, a new Dr. Who book comes out that everyone's saying is fucking brill. What did you expect me to do?

I said I'd have Game of Thrones done by the end of the month. Considering I read a couple of hundred pages last week, plus a hundred pages of the previous Who book last night, it looks like that's still gonna happen.
    PROVE IT.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Egads I am about 2/3 through Storm Of Swords, this series is so great I will be terribly sad when its over. Luckily I have part 5 and I am wondering if there will be a part 6? I could have this go on forever, I think I like it more than LOTR. The problem is, reading this series is so addictive I don't wash my hair, cook food, or go to the grocery store because that is getting into Fire & Ice time. Sad, hunh?
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 416 of 714 FirstFirst ... 316 366 406 414 415 416 417 418 426 466 516 ... LastLast